Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

93-97 Firebird T/A Knight/Bullet Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93-97 Firdbird T/A Knight/Bullet Bumper

Hello all;

While I'm not really sure of the specific posting policies here on LS1Tech, I just wanted to stop in to tip my hat. We've just finished the LK4005-B, our newest product for the fourth gen conversion market. All the specifics, including bumper and scanner package, are available at the site. That's LastKnightFiberglass.Com!

Thanks! Feel free to ask any questions. That's what we're here for.

-Mike Bray
Webmaster

Last edited by ACW; 09-06-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:26 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let this go with just removing the active link, since you aren't posting prices and you're not yet really in competition with our sponsors, but if you want to promote your products further on here you'll need to sign up for sponsorship - contact tony@ls1tech.com and/or john@ls1tech.com
Old 09-10-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front end looks too pointed for my taste. Then again I am partial to my 99 TA
Old 09-13-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i like the instrument panel he's working on however i'm personally not into the Knight Rider thing.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

Fugly
Old 09-13-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah that front doesn't do anything for me. Stock looks way better.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, that's frickin' ugly, ...
Old 09-13-2005, 07:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep the Knight Rider nose on the right platform. 3rd gens only.

I know all too much about the Knight 4000, but on a 93-97 Bird, doesn't really look like it at all. Too much cosmetic work done to the Dodge Stealth to make the 4000. Trying to acheive that look is impossible on a F-body.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:55 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

89Karr, how is that KARR without the silver stripe?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:30 AM
11 Second Club

KARR was only seen in two episodes. First season episode he was all black with a red scanner, exactly like KITT. The next time we see him is in the third season. For the first half of the episode, he was all black with an amber scanner. The two tone KARR was only for half an episode. I made the first season model. Sometimes I switch to an amber lens, but I usually keep it red. Plus I'm not too partial to the two tone. Here is a pic of a friends KARR. Two tone just don't do it for me.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

The Knight 4000 was indeed scuplted overtop a Dodge Stealth, but to look like the 1988 Pontiac concept car The Banshee. In 1993 when GM decided to revamp the third gen body style it was the Banshee's lines they stole, and so with it came a bit of the passion of Knight 4000.

Truthully, we weren't trying to replicate KIFT, or the Knight Industries Four Thousand; which is really an inaccurate acronym anyway. If anyone watched the movie, it's apparent by the film's end that once again through the magic of deus ex machina the entire KIFT idea was simply replaced by transferring the Knight 2000's CPU into the Knight 4000 body.

Anyway; we just make bumpers and parts. The LK4005 is indeed pointy. Perhaps too much so for some tastes; however, it's the passion of the 3rd Gen Knight styling we wanted to capture. Soon we'll be releasing our second 93-97 front end and a new scanner with 10 different scan patterns. The new front end will have the lines resembling the helmet on on the Predator costume. It will have stage space for aftermarket fog lights.

Thanks for all the interest, and the smarmy comments that completely ignore the hard work, sweat, and planning that goes into the design, construction, production, casting, spray-up, lay-up, and parting of something created to refocus attention on a dying breed.

-Mike
www.lastknightfiberglass.com
4th Gen Conversion Parts for the Life of Your Car!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LastKnight
The Knight 4000 was indeed scuplted overtop a Dodge Stealth, but to look like the 1988 Pontiac concept car The Banshee. In 1993 when GM decided to revamp the third gen body style it was the Banshee's lines they stole, and so with it came a bit of the passion of Knight 4000.

Truthully, we weren't trying to replicate KIFT, or the Knight Industries Four Thousand; which is really an inaccurate acronym anyway. If anyone watched the movie, it's apparent by the film's end that once again through the magic of deus ex machina the entire KIFT idea was simply replaced by transferring the Knight 2000's CPU into the Knight 4000 body.
Perhaps not, but with the scanner opening, that's kinda the impression I think people will get. Remember another person in the KR world made both noses with and without a scanner opening for 93-97 Birds. I have personally seen 2 Birds with that nose and that is it. One owner also had a 3rd gen Knight Rider conversion as well. The other was on a 96 6-speed Formula.

Thanks for all the interest, and the smarmy comments that completely ignore the hard work, sweat, and planning that goes into the design, construction, production, casting, spray-up, lay-up, and parting of something created to refocus attention on a dying breed.
Those smarmy comments are the ones you have to let roll off. I definitely understand the work with custom fiberglass. You have chosen a real tough aftermarket for the 93-97, but I hope you have real good luck with it. I personally love the Nordskog digital dash. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for your kind words 89Karr, and for your advice. I'm certain that you're correct in reference to Rob's 4th Gen bumper.

As for the specific disdain for the LK4005 (the bumper in question), I understand the lack of enthusiasm both for Camaro owners and for LS1 owners. There is a width difference of about 4" between the 93-97 Firbird and the 98-02; not to mention the difference in lines and aero styling. LastKnightFiberglass is merely a project company, rather a pushing off point for larger projects and their cost. We have detailed plans on revamping both the LS1 body and the Camaro. We just love the F-Body around here, and were understandably saddened to see production cancelled in '02. Still; I have to say I'm surprised at the amount of resistance in releasing a new product designed to bring a dead and dying horse back once again into the winner's circle. Both the new Mustang and the Vette, although mostly impressive from sheer technology, really aren't worth their commercial accolade. I and a lot of others, remain disappointed; especially with the recent attempts of GM to recapiatalize on the GTO, and Dodge, the Charger.

Not loving the looks of the Lk4005 is okay. It's basic supply and demand, the customer is always right business phiolosophy; that's way of the word and the nature of the beast. I guess I'm just too old to venture into a Ford dealship and yet too young to give up on the same sort of passion hard-wired at even younger age by Burt Reynolds in his 6.6 Liter, Knight reminiscent super-car, Trigger in his relentless toying and evading of the Texas authorities.

Not that it matter's I suppose, but my intentions are good. And I have the skill and ability to bring into light the designs and creations aleady set into motion by both my own dreams and the dreams of those I've spoken to shared ideas with.

LastKnightFiberglass will not always be around. Look, at some point in the future, though for a nameless company struggling to open it's doors to a public satisfied with souless representations of once soulful and thunderous muscle cars intended not for the super rich but for the well above average nobodies of the world who try as they might to both silence whatever pangs of dissention that shout at them from inside while still insisting on necessaries like a wife, children, and even a writing career.

Thanks again.

-Mike
Old 09-14-2005, 07:13 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

89KARR, now that you mention it, I do remember the all black look. But to me, it'll always be silver and black with amber - and a much cooler voice.

Both your car and your friends car look great. OOC - what is causing the dip in front of the p/s headlight cover on your friends car? And did the "real thing" widen after the fender before converging to a point like that? (I've never seen one outside of the show, and they don't show detail like that that I recall)

What kinds of comments do you guys get out on the street? I actually got my first Trans Am because of that show. Was an '84 T-Top (didn't like the '82 or '83 bumber covers). I had a black and silver with grey interior and the wheels your friends car has, all lined up but missed it by a few hours. Had the silver stripe around the bottom and everything (just not up to the middle of the car). Ended up with an offwhite one with a gold stripe and the wheels you have (and tan interior, I hate tan interior. My '88 GTA had that too... grrr lol).
Old 09-14-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Still; I have to say I'm surprised at the amount of resistance in releasing a new product designed to bring a dead and dying horse back once again into the winner's circle.
I think you are misunderstanding people's opinions a bit. I don't think anyone in this thread was insulting the work you did or saying you shouldn't make parts for the fbody. Those of us that expressed negative opinions were simply saying we did not prefer the look of this particular product.

It's no different than if someone spent 3 weeks on a really detailed paint job for their car but it ended up looking like ***. If someone asked my opinion of it, I wouldn't care how much effort or thought went into it, I would still say it looked like ***. Knowing the person worked on it a lot will not change my opinion of how it looks.

I personally think it's awesome that there are people still out there making custom parts for these cars. It really shows what an incredible following they have. And if you ever make a product that I do like, it's certainly possible that I may consider purchasing it.

Don't equate negative reactions to this particular product that you chose to show in this thread with statements insulting your business or someone saying you were an idiot for making this.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HPP
89KARR, now that you mention it, I do remember the all black look. But to me, it'll always be silver and black with amber - and a much cooler voice.

Both your car and your friends car look great. OOC - what is causing the dip in front of the p/s headlight cover on your friends car? And did the "real thing" widen after the fender before converging to a point like that? (I've never seen one outside of the show, and they don't show detail like that that I recall)
Looks like a bad reflection in the first one. It really didn't widen that much. With different noses, some have a different fit. When I got my first nose, my body/paint guys smoothed that part down and add a little filler. I got a shitty nose to start. I have upgraded. Here is another of his and one of mine.

Originally Posted by HPP
What kinds of comments do you guys get out on the street? I actually got my first Trans Am because of that show.
That's why I got my first Trans Am as well. I learned everything I could about Firebirds in general. Now, I'm a Firebird buff, you would say. 67-02. Comments in the streets are good. Most people remember Knight Rider and have a good reaction. What's really fun it when they start explaining it to the person that's with him/her, that don't have a clue what KR is, and they just shrug like "Yeah, whatever. You're obviously excited about it." The DVD release has helped people remember somewhat. When I tell people how much it cost, a small percentage chime in with the "Man, if I was spending that much, I would have done....", and totally tangent off into subs/speakers and rims and engine mods. And old people just don't get it. To them, it just looks like the VCR/cable box that outsmarts them on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by lastknight
We have detailed plans on revamping both the LS1 body and the Camaro
That ought to be interesting. That prompted me to look up some numbers, on why I see more Camaros than Firebirds out there. I used 2002 production.

42,098 Camaros
30,690 Firebirds

Looks like Camaro production was higher every single year by at least 10,000 units. WHATSUPWITDAT?!?! But anyways, that would be interesting to see something on a Camaro. Good luck with that.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:54 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting that your 2 noses look so different from oneanother. You were right about the angle being a lighting thing it seems. But there still seems to be some sag infront of his p/s headlight cover. One of the things I never liked about the "cats eye style" (91-92) is that the seems never lined up quite right. I'm super picky about that. My '02 has a sag under the d/s headlight cover and it irritates the hell out of me.

I asked about the comments because I had the impression people would be rippin' on ya for doing that. lol

Originally Posted by 89KARR
Looks like Camaro production was higher every single year by at least 10,000 units. WHATSUPWITDAT?!?! But anyways, that would be interesting to see something on a Camaro. Good luck with that.
It's because it's cheaper, and it has a bright chevy badge on it. Much like the proverbial bright shiny object. People are drawn to it and just can't help themselves.

Those who want better aerodynamics, better performance, more aggressive looks, and higher end all around, aren't the sheeple type, and are the ones who made the better choice in getting the Firebird _or_ Trans Am.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HPP
I asked about the comments because I had the impression people would be rippin' on ya for doing that.
Nah, I don't think anybody is that rude to rip on me to my face anyways. I think the only way somebody were to do that is if they were a Firebird enthusiast and I made the MAJOR modifactions to a rare Bird, like an 15th Aniversary or an 83 Mecham Racing Trans Am or a 89 TTA. But I've got nothing but positive feedback. If someone don't like it, they look at it for 3 seconds and walk away. Kinda like when you go to a car show, ya know?

I've noticed on a message boards, more people tend to "rip" on other people, but that's cause these people post a pic of their car and ask "What do you think?" And it's not a face to face opinion, and they have big rims, horrible body kits, and so on and so on. So when you're typing, many will be blunt as blunt could be. Also, some don't even ask for someone's opinion, and people decide to chime in and tell them, "Hey, your (insert car part here) looks like ****. I'd would do this..." It always cracks me up.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Junkie

its interesting, but i think the nose needs more complementary pieces such as a hood like on KR2000. i do like that dash alot though. i don't suppose that will work with a 99?
Old 09-17-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by infinitebird
I think you are misunderstanding people's opinions a bit. I don't think anyone in this thread was insulting the work you did or saying you shouldn't make parts for the fbody. Those of us that expressed negative opinions were simply saying we did not prefer the look of this particular product.

It's no different than if someone spent 3 weeks on a really detailed paint job for their car but it ended up looking like ***. If someone asked my opinion of it, I wouldn't care how much effort or thought went into it, I would still say it looked like ***. Knowing the person worked on it a lot will not change my opinion of how it looks.

I personally think it's awesome that there are people still out there making custom parts for these cars. It really shows what an incredible following they have. And if you ever make a product that I do like, it's certainly possible that I may consider purchasing it.

Don't equate negative reactions to this particular product that you chose to show in this thread with statements insulting your business or someone saying you were an idiot for making this.
Great post, and I agree 100%. It's the individual products that are loved or hated. The efforts are applauded regardless.

Quick Reply: 93-97 Firebird T/A Knight/Bullet Bumper