Old 10-17-2005, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to see how the preformance divison was doing nowadays
Old 10-17-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS69TA
That Camaro had better be pretty damn sweet before I buy one. The GTO just doesn't do it for me. They should drop that and bring the Firebird back.
agreed.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the reason why the Camaro has a bigger chance of coming back is because of the constant rivalry between Ford and Chevy. The fight has been going on ever since the both companies beginnings. I don't think Chevy is just going to let the Mustang run around without any competition.
As for the Firebird, I see almost no hope on it coming back. If it did, it shouldn't be a retro styled car. Aside from the name, the Firebird has always had a bird-like feel, in my opinion. To me, it looks like a beutiful,fierce Phoenix just about to take-off into the air but not before it leaves its mark on the road. I believe the next Firebird should have similar dimensions to the Camaro, But completely independent styling.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

the Camaro will be returning as internal documents have been leaked showing when tooling was to be finished and aproximatly what year ('08). But that has been bumped for awhile as per lutz changing up the production times for new rear will drive platform. Which was the Zeta platform, havent heard much more since then.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:52 PM
Teching In

What would it look like?!? Hopefully some cross between the batmobile, and something out of hell itself. But I doubt that would happen as long as they are pushing the GTO. Speaking of which, they based the new GTO on its sister car in Australia, and that has T-Tops, any idea if they're going to put T-Tops in the GTO, cause if they are I seriously doubt they'll bring back the bird.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Sadly, we will never see a 'new' Firebird.
GM retired the namesake. Unlike the Camaro.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Launching!

even tho I like camaros I still like birds. if the camaro comes back the firebird should also. and if it did they should share similar styling like they always have, its history.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:36 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Gee, you don't suppose the "retirement" of the name has anything to do with so damn many current owners being so accepting of, or even preferring it, and the Camaro's return with the near rabid outcry from ALL of those owners to bring it back, do you?

No, that would just make too damn much sense.

So-called "Firebird people" are really starting to make me sick.

Oh and BTW - the GTO has nothing to do with the Firebird. Even at the same price point (which is surprising that it's dropped that low), it's a different TYPE of car. It's bigger, more practical, more refined, and more suited to a different market. This means there is room for both.

And as already mentioned about 15 billion times, when the camaro is built, all the R&D and tooling costs are absorbed by that vehicle. Fabbing up some composite molds for different body panels and dash cost practically nothing in comparison. Making the Firebird and Trans Am as *order only* vehicles (IOW - no stock of vehicles sitting around costing money), the costs would be absolutely negligible and provide the benefit of increasing the sales of the camaro platform, both helping profit and spreading the cost of the platform.

Even while it's flat out WRONG to so much as consider twinning a mid-size coupe (A-Body) to a small car (F-Body), and management should be shot for sacriledge if they do base the GTO on the camaro platform, they could STILL offer Firebird and Trans Ams in the same way I mentioned above.

And just to pre-empt incase some Lounge guys pop in here - It's NOT cross competition. It's reaching more of the market. Doesn't matter what you sell the body dressed up as so long as you sell it. Many of uf will never consider a fecking camaro, and aren't interested in a GTO. So.... reach us in the way I mentioned and you manage it with practically NO extra cost.

Again, that would make too damn much sense for Putz and crew.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Well I would like to see a new bird weather it looks like a retro bird or a new updated style!!!

I always thought I would have a camaro but when I got my T/A I was very happy! They look so much nicer and got a real mean I'm gonna beat your A$$ look!!!
Old 10-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Teching In

firebirds only hope of a comeback is as an option package on the Pontiac Vibe. or more realisitcally, on the sulstice.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:15 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, no sense in fighting for it. That's the spirit.

Funny how accurate Shakespear was with the Wyrd Sisters.....

Old 10-23-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Seancass
firebirds only hope of a comeback is as an option package on the Pontiac Vibe. or more realisitcally, on the sulstice.

Maybe a WS6 option could be available in some form in newer Pontiac models (Vibe, Solstice or whatever) heck maybe a Ram Air option but the model, the car, the almighty Firebird should be made into reality not as an option ,as a CAR!! I dont care if the plataform is f-body, zeta or whatever. Jump in the Mustang formula like Ford does goddamnit!!! GM wake up!!! Stop the SUV **** now!!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rez-t/a
Well I would like to see a new bird weather it looks like a retro bird or a new updated style!!!

I always thought I would have a camaro but when I got my T/A I was very happy! They look so much nicer and got a real mean I'm gonna beat your A$$ look!!!
See what I mean?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

opps sorry for the big A$$ pic.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Was that last concept (red) from a RX8?? I kinda looked like it a little.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLOODTA
This is an old concept I worked on from awhile ago...Flame On!!!
Not bad at all reminds me of the Ferrari F430. I'd tone the hood scoops down just a bit and try to redesign the rear deck to generate downforce without a spoiler.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:29 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deep Blue
Not bad at all reminds me of the Ferrari F430. I'd tone the hood scoops down just a bit and try to redesign the rear deck to generate downforce without a spoiler.
It looks like little more than a body kitted 4th Gen. It would be cool though if the fugly exposed lights weren't added. Exposed headlights are
Old 10-24-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HPP
It looks like little more than a body kitted 4th Gen. It would be cool though if the fugly exposed lights weren't added. Exposed headlights are
at least im not alone on that, also dont care fro the mustang side scoops either.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think if GM ever "comes back" with the Trans Am that is should be almost totally redesigned. If you discontinue production on a vehicle and x years later you bring it back, I don't think it should be anything quite like the 4th gens. ( Similar body shape though, But not a redesign like the Honda Civic looking GTO coupe.) Now, like Bloodta's prototype, I like it, but it looks too much like a 4th gen and does not posses a "come back-all new muscle car legend Trans Am better and badder look...just too much resemblance of the 4th gen.Though the t/a is already very bad ***, I'm not sure how much better they can make it. I do believe that if the Trans am is to come back that the design should retain the "bird" body style...because any other shape just wouldn't be a firebird. Like the very ugly Camaro concept, slapping a Trans Am emblem on that style just wouldn't cut it. Remember, this is strictly my opinion, and any thoughts reflecting this are welcome.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot, they should base it on the C6 chassis, make it a cross platform with the C6, different body style of course. I'm not a fan of retro for the Firebird either, but it works for the Camaro. My Bird concept has C6 side scoops, not mustang side scoops. The lights are from an 04 Viper, although I perfer pop-ups, they just break all the time. The front holes are from an F430, hey, that car rocks, why not copy it? . Trans Ams should have spoilers, gives it a more Bird-like look. It'd be sweet to have flared fenders like the 06 Z06 too. Anywho, that's my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: what should a 5th-gen TA look like?