Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Cracked interior door panel...:( *DON'T QUOTE PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been over 2 1/2 years since my fix and its holding up great!

check out post 159 for my writeup with pics.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=159
Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS64Mula
From my understanding in the HPP magazine. With the staples the way they are installed from the factory; it's putting alot of stress there on that portion of the panel. I believe if you take the staples out and relieve the stress, let it relax, and put staples in it relaxed. It shoud keep the cracks from comming back or appearing on cars that don't have the crack. That's how I read it in the HPP mag.
Thats exactly right.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BANDITCAR
Its been over 2 1/2 years since my fix and its holding up great!

check out post 159 for my writeup with pics.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=159

Saving this its good info. Im going to do this 2nite.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

I am in the process of replacing the panels with pre 99 plastics with my 99 carpet inserts. And although the color is not a perfect match, it is very close. And the pre 99 plastic is far superior by the way.
just though this is a better solution than patching a broken part.
And I have one done already and installed, the other is still in the works.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
I am in the process of replacing the panels with pre 99 plastics with my 99 carpet inserts. And although the color is not a perfect match, it is very close. And the pre 99 plastic is far superior by the way.
just though this is a better solution than patching a broken part.
And I have one done already and installed, the other is still in the works.
Exactly what I did in mine. I found two very nice LT1 door panels and you are right, the colors are slightly different. It is so mild they honestly look about the same. Only I know the difference. Anyone looking at my wont even recognize the difference.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Used the machine screws to replace the staples as in High Performance Pontiacs fix. Removed ALL staples. Replaced all with machine screws, then used kitty hair on the back of the panels for extra support. So far, so good.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My passenger side is cracked all the way down and my drivers is just beginning to show. Tomorrow I'm taking the panels off and removing the staples. They'll probably have to stay apart for a little while, until I can get some repair supplies. Chock another guy up who's dissappointed in GM for not stepping up to this issue. I know they have bigger problems at the moment, but if they hadn't given CEO's and other bigwigs millions of dollars to mismanage this company, they could afford to admit they produced an inferior product and make things right with the people who are supporting their company.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69TA
There is a whole bunch of plastic spikes similiar to the end of a golf tee. Then once it's thru.......GM melts the end into a circle like a flat washer. And that's basically how the insert and lower tray is held on.

I guess you can grind or drill the plastic **** off to free everything. But once you do that, I don't really see how you can reattach it back as there will be nothing left. Maybe you can try using small self tapping screws and washers from the back side.
I just thinned out one side of the melted blob and then pulled it through the panel, then when I reattached it I popped it back through and remelted it. I messed up a few on the first but once I got it down it was butter. I had a tan interior and the both cracked so I replaced them with black panels..that have not cracked.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:29 AM

My 2002 ws6 with 50000 miles are both cracked...........like that when i bought it
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just completed reinstalling my Drivers Door Panel. After being twisted for ten years the panel didn't want to go back to its intended position very well. I added a little epoxy to the back side and that helped to reshape it. I'm dissapointed in the Vinyl Repair Kit though. I followed the instructions to the letter, had my color matched perfectly, applied it to the damaged area, then heated it with the grain sheet on top to set it, and the compound would not set. No matter what I tried. More heat, less heat, more time less time, 10-15 times. I always ended up with sticky left over color, that I finally just wiped away and called good. I can still see the crack, but its alot less noticeable, and the panel is way straighter. In all, I'm satisfied. Especially knowing the panel shouldn't get any worse. Thank you BANDITCAR. And thank you High Performance Pontiac. Now onto the Passenger side...
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Passenger Panel is back in the car. I had a little better luck with the Vinly Repair Kit this time. Far from perfect, but I'd say it looks descent until I can find some replacement panels for a reasonable price. It kinda resembles a scar from a really deep cut, which is fitting. Definitely an exercise in patience.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 PM

Cool me to

Originally Posted by HPP
True. I've been careful about that too. It might bump it, but if it does I always put it back up to not allow it to be stressed.

I've used Maguires vynil protectant on it too - might that have something to do with it? I know I've heard that Armor All will actually kill what it's supposed to protect, but I thought Maguires to be in a whole 'nother league.

I have an 02 trans-am not ws6 package and has 60K, My driver side door panel is cracked, noticed it right after I bought it, btw not a tech but was wondering if anyone knows what the stock horse power and torqe is at the engine and rear wheels, it is an automatic trans, but now I have installed Magnaflow exhaust, power-plus BBK throttle body, K&N FIPK generation II , 3.73 Richmond built gears, super chips programmer, so can anyone tell me the horses and torqe now ?? and if the stock transmission is a performance transmision ??

thanks
1 Dumass
Old 02-26-2009, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

I do interior repair for a living, and I have seen that problem on almost every trans am I have been in. I do not recommend fixing it until you are about to sell it. It will either break back open, or cause stress somewhere else causing that spot to crack. If you can live with the site of it, don't fix it until you are ready to get rid of it. Both of my doorpanels are cracked like that right now and I am not even going to touch them lol.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The fix I did on my panels is holding fine. No new cracks and its been years. But I also never plan on getting rid of it so I had to fix it for own well being.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

understandable. I have fixed maybe 10 of them and of the 10 5 either broke loose in a year, or messed up somewhere else. but I guess it also depends if you are taking the panels off alot probly.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1Dumass
I have an 02 trans-am not ws6 package and has 60K, My driver side door panel is cracked, noticed it right after I bought it, btw not a tech but was wondering if anyone knows what the stock horse power and torqe is at the engine and rear wheels, it is an automatic trans, but now I have installed Magnaflow exhaust, power-plus BBK throttle body, K&N FIPK generation II , 3.73 Richmond built gears, super chips programmer, so can anyone tell me the horses and torqe now ?? and if the stock transmission is a performance transmision ??

thanks
1 Dumass

Get it dyno'd.. you can't estimate what it is going to be with different stuff on it. And I don't know much about the 4L60E Transmissions, but I haven't heard any problems from anyone.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

fock i got cracks on both sides too....happened at 66k miles
Old 03-06-2009, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99TransAm345hp
fock i got cracks on both sides too....happened at 66k miles
I bought my car at 44k miles and it already had them haha.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Teching In

My driver side was cracked all the way down so I used a soldering iron to melt the back of it and it worked pretty well

Old 04-03-2009, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

I'll do a repair on mine sometime soon and show a step by step probly. Idk about availability of the products I use because I get them all through my company.

Quick Reply: Cracked interior door panel...:( *DON'T QUOTE PICS!