Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

my new trans am

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new trans am

Okay well as of yesterday I am the owner of a 1999 WS6 and man, you guys didn't tell me these cars are a world apart from my 2000 Z28. I had no idea that these cars are so..cadillac like. I'm so amazed at how beautiful and curvy the body and the 'nostrils' are.. I just want to stare at it like it's some good looking guy all googily eyed and drooling. Once I got home I noticed something though, the back middle peice between the tail lights has been painted over on my car where it says Trans Am its black and some of the black is covering the red firebird. I'm not sure what someone was trying to accomplish by doing this. I also have another question, this car is totally stock and I am wondering why they are so quiet. I can barely hear it when I turn it on, I hear honda civics growl louder than this. I am planning on doing some exhaust work after I save up some money but I will still be limited as to what I can afford which is why I bought flowmasters and then did a cutout on my camaro. For a very limited budget and a nice sound what should I go with?
Attached Thumbnails my new trans am-joo-016.jpg   my new trans am-joo-015.jpg   my new trans am-joo-020.jpg   my new trans am-joo-019.jpg   my new trans am-sssss.jpg  

Old 06-09-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats, it looks really clean.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrat's on the new ride!
I knew if ya kept lookin' you'd find a good one!
By the way, the center section between the taillights are very well known for fading away like that. There's probably no paint on there, it could be that all the original stuff has simply faded away. (And I still occasionally sell these things all polished up back to a nice shiny lustre! Use the search function for 'polished center taillight' or similar words to find the details on how to polish them yourself.)

Oh, ..., And uh, ..., Someone stole your lighter, ...

Edit: You didn't buy the same car with the wild cam & the crappy intake from the bottom of page2 did ya?!?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=518088&page=2
Old 06-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Congrats on the new ride.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice car!! Very nice choice.

If you are budgeted on exhaust, why buy the flowmaster and the cutout? Just buy the cutout and throw it on. Save the money and put it towards some headers and a y-pipe.

I'm running SLP headers and an ORY through flowmasters and dont really care for the sound, thats why the cutout is always open.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Launching!

LOL about the cigg lighter, it's funny because my camaro had one extra and I just happened to be greedy and keep the other one. Guess it turned out pretty good.

Oh and about the flowmasters, I bought those before I knew about any other options, every muffler shop told me that the ONLY thing I could do for my exhaust was to put flowmasters on. I believed it and went ahead and bought these really silent ones and put some echo tips on and of course it was still quiet so I was told to get a cutout so I went with that and I was happy but I'm looking for something that I can pass inspection with. I don't do any of my own work and I would have to find a shop that does all of that stuff.

*** btw it wasn't the crappy trans am with the cam and jacked up speakers and stuff this one is perfect besides that weird tail light peice.***
Old 06-10-2006, 05:14 AM
Banned

AWESOME looking car, very clean... love the color too

as for exhaust, im not sure what they do in your state as far as inspection goes, but in az all they do is a diagnostics test on OBD2 cars, and if it is free of codes, your good to go. i have mac headers, ORY, and a hooker catback with electric cutout, and with the cutout open it is very loud up around 4-6k RPM... im talking, loud. just a couple weeks ago i was driving to my friends house, and i was playing with a civic, and wrapped it out pretty hard, and i arrived at my friends house, and turns out they heard me racing... i was about a mile away.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks pretty good and congrats on the new ride.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice. The navy blue metalic is pretty unique. Yea ws6 cars are nice and curvy especially with the ram air hood. I guess if your on a very limited budget flowmaster is good. If you are willing to look around try the classified adds and look for a more upscale exhaust system. Also if you want to fix the tail panel where it says Trans am above the bird you can go to the WS6 store and get replacement decals. I origionally had red ones and changed them to silver on my hawk and I love it best 30 bucks I spent, check it on my link if you want.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:59 AM
Launching!

The silver does look good and it would look good with the dark blue too. I have been wondering what others with the navy blue have done appearance wise. I guess silver or white would be the only matching colors. I'm probably going to do cutouts again if I can then.. I live in Texas so they do emissions testing but I'm not sure how that works. Isn't that what the o2 sims are for or are they just for keeping the ses light off?
Old 06-10-2006, 10:42 AM
mcG
TECH Resident

yeah, these cars are sexy. i have the SLP loudmouth on mine, very loud.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Good looking ride. I live in Texas and have the Headers into loudmouth with no cats. I got the inspection with no questions asked. Could have just been the particular shop that I went to but I don't think Texas is that strict.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Here in Austin they're pretty strict with the emissions. It took some searching to get somebody to pass my car. Of course my car is cammed with LT and a Corsa with no cats, and a rich tune.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:42 PM
10 Second Club

Can’t beat a attractive car and driver
Old 06-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rayvendawn
The silver does look good and it would look good with the dark blue too. I have been wondering what others with the navy blue have done appearance wise. I guess silver or white would be the only matching colors. I'm probably going to do cutouts again if I can then.. I live in Texas so they do emissions testing but I'm not sure how that works. Isn't that what the o2 sims are for or are they just for keeping the ses light off?

go with stainless steel overlays and fill ins. dragonZ28 sells them through his ebay store
Old 06-10-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

pls tell me you didnt pay 30 grand for it.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93transam
Here in Austin they're pretty strict with the emissions. It took some searching to get somebody to pass my car. Of course my car is cammed with LT and a Corsa with no cats, and a rich tune.
Yeah, here in Abilene we have a bunch of shade tree mechanics that will give you an inspection sticker for a 6 pack of beer and a good conversation about the Dallas Cowboys.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great. I have a Dark Metallic Sapphire WS-6 and you're right, white really sets it off. I have the white stripes on mine, and the wheels PC'd white. The Stripes are a pearlescant white, so they reflect a faint blue in the sunlight.
Attached Thumbnails my new trans am-hood.jpg   my new trans am-tail.jpg   my new trans am-car.jpg  
Old 06-11-2006, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

looks really really good!
Old 06-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Banned

If it wasn't a black Firehawk that I owned it would be a Navy WS6 with those same rims ('96-'early '01) Congrats!!!

The center tailight probably is painted. It probably faded a bit, and instead of stripping the bird off "Mr. fix-it" decided to paint over it with some rattle-can spray paint.

If you want to get a good idea of exhaust notes try this site. www.ls1sounds.com

Please don't go over board with the exterior of your nice WS6, it's nearly perfect as-is. Enjoy. ~Joshua

Quick Reply: my new trans am