Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together
View Poll Results: GM says you have no choice- camaro or nothing
Yes , I'll buy a new camaro
31.75%
No, go stick your bow tie
68.25%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

GM says firbird owners will have to buy camaro's --will you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

A lot of Chevy guys are purely Chevy and would never buy a Pontiac. Same thing with some Pontiac guys and Chevy. But we shouldn't whine too much - supposedly we're getting a new GTO. There were six years of GTO production with no Firebird. There were 27 years of Firebird production with no GTO. Pontiac deserves at least one serious musclecar, and GTO has some catching up to do.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:22 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlaine
So don't have an opinion other than it's great to have a Camaro in production?
I dunno, the way I see it... having any other opinion about it is kinda looking a gift horse in the mouth. GM killed them both, and gave us a GTO and we bitched because it wasn't aggressive looking. So they gave us the aggressive looking car, and we take a dump on it because they didn't give us two?

Not to mention that in the next two years GM is giving us two very different RWD coupes, and two RWD sedans (Impala and Pontiac G8), with V8 power under the hood.. and many more coming down the road.

I mean... I've been a Firebird enthusiast longer than some people here have been alive. I bought my first one almost 20 years ago... and I've owned 5 of them. I don't wanna see it dead, I'd love to buy another one. The people who are building them feel the same way, they don't wanna see it dead, either.

There's three cars competing for a market of about 350K cars, and one of them already accounts for close to 200K of that. Competition is gonna be brutal... Ford doesn't make a Mustang companion car... Dodge doesn't make a Challenger companion car. Why would GM stack the deck against themselves by splitting one budget in two with a Camaro and a Firebird?

If we want there to continue being a GM pony car, the Camaro has to succeed. If the Camaro doesn't succeed, you can forget about the Firebird.... so even if you're a Firebird guy, it's in your best interest for the Camaro to succeed.. and succeed wildly. Cuz if it does, you'll get your Firebird.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 08-21-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As always, well put DrEvly!!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I dunno, the way I see it... having any other opinion about it is kinda looking a gift horse in the mouth. GM killed them both, and gave us a GTO and we bitched because it wasn't aggressive looking. So they gave us the aggressive looking car, and we take a dump on it because they didn't give us two?

Not to mention that in the next two years GM is giving us two very different RWD coupes, and two RWD sedans (Impala and Pontiac G8), with V8 power under the hood.. and many more coming down the road.

I mean... I've been a Firebird enthusiast longer than some people here have been alive. I bought my first one almost 20 years ago... and I've owned 5 of them. I don't wanna see it dead, I'd love to buy another one. The people who are building them feel the same way, they don't wanna see it dead, either.

There's three cars competing for a market of about 350K cars, and one of them already accounts for close to 200K of that. Competition is gonna be brutal... Ford doesn't make a Mustang companion car... Dodge doesn't make a Challenger companion car. Why would GM stack the deck against themselves by splitting one budget in two with a Camaro and a Firebird?

If we want there to continue being a GM pony car, the Camaro has to succeed. If the Camaro doesn't succeed, you can forget about the Firebird.... so even if you're a Firebird guy, it's in your best interest for the Camaro to succeed.. and succeed wildly. Cuz if it does, you'll get your Firebird.
That's pretty much it exactley
Old 08-21-2006, 11:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I would stay with pontiac... that is jsut me... plus I read that GM plans to make Pontiac the performance division anyways (outside of the camaro).

I have so many things to do to my current car anyways... I will be busy for years with it. Doing full drivetrain and suspension, some interior, and what not (im not sure if I want the keep the LT1 front clip or go to the darkside with the LS1 font end).

After that, I need a gas milage car anyways.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Pontiac isn't going to be the "Performance Division". They are moving towards rwd powered cars to compete with products at BMW and such. They want a more upscale lineup of cars, with rwd V8 power. I can't wait.

Chevrolet will always have the Corvette, and hopefully the Camaro sticks around for good.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
All i can say is who the hell puts IRS in a REAL muscle car, other than those guys at Ford. bummer, but it happens i guess
The Vette is IRS unless you classify it as a sports car? I say it is a nasty muscle car!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Teching In

very well put!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Oh yeah..... and I will definitely buy the new SS version. If they decided to bring back the Firebird instead of the Camaro, I would buy the new WS6 version. I am not biased. Well maybe against Ford or Dodge I am.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

A firebird is just a camaro with a different skin. Theyre all the same car, its just a looks preference when you break it down. So it all boils down to whether you like the look of the new camaro or not. We all gotta stick together so we dont lose GM all together
Old 08-22-2006, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Camaros outsold Firebirds because they were cheaper werent they. The birds had way more leather such as dash and doors rather than plastic like the camaro. The birds are kinda like the luxury f-body because they were more expensive i guess.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

I love my bird just as much as the next person but I see nothing wrong with owning a new Camaro. I'll be driving one soon enough.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

When i got my SS in 2001 bran new with 23 miles on it. It was in the shop more than my used ws6.

After that i'll never own another camaro again but i do like the new one alot. If im going to spend all that money just get a vette there faster and better.

But im really liking that new challenger. Id never get that over weight charger that i just wooped up on one.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Prepare the flog - because my view isn't popular at all here I'm sure...

I don't care enough about either the advancement of the Camaro or the Firebird - I'm quite content to let the current market dictate the production, and I don't really care if the Camaro ever sees the light of day honestly.

But to some I suppose that's bitching - to me it's just being a passive observer, I just don't have the passion for the current era vehicles as I do generations past I guess either.

BUT... On a side note - as long as there is a demand for a performance car in a market niche that can be profitable, there will always be someone willing to produce them - and I don't particularly care what name happens to be on the emblem.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMWS62001
When i got my SS in 2001 brand new with 23 miles on it. It was in the shop more than my used ws6.

After that i'll never own another camaro again
Do you realize the ignorance of that statement? Your Camaro was built on the SAME assembly line as your WS6. By the SAME guys, using the same robots, and same tools. Most of the same pieces too. Sounds like you had a problematic Camaro, but that doesn't mean the rest of them are problematic and that the workers were extra careful to assemble the Firebirds.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOMWS62001
But im really liking that new challenger. Id never get that over weight charger that i just wooped up on one.
News flash... the Challenger weighs 4200lbs.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Do you realize the ignorance of that statement? Your Camaro was built on the SAME assembly line as your WS6. By the SAME guys, using the same robots, and same tools. Most of the same pieces too. Sounds like you had a problematic Camaro, but that doesn't mean the rest of them are problematic and that the workers were extra careful to assemble the Firebirds.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:18 AM
TECH Resident

There just cars, who cares? This is why the rest of the world calls f-body owners rednecks
Old 08-23-2006, 03:30 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

I will be getting the Camaro.. a new TA would be nice but most likely isnt gonna happen granted the thought is nice
Old 08-23-2006, 08:02 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, we've got 'em crawling out from under rocks for this thread.

Quick Reply: GM says firbird owners will have to buy camaro's --will you?