Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together
View Poll Results: GM says you have no choice- camaro or nothing
Yes , I'll buy a new camaro
31.75%
No, go stick your bow tie
68.25%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

GM says firbird owners will have to buy camaro's --will you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:58 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight
hahahaha.

You are all sheep
I've warned via a pm to keep it private. You had a smart reply.

I deleted a completely useless post that was totally off-topic.

Now you post this garbage. If you don't have anything worthwhile to post in here, then stay the hell out.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let see it on the bright side our cars are unique and still looks new for many years to come. And we will have the last of the birds.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok here goes

if price is close to the same i will be going with a Challenger, becouse they look a bit more agressive

i dont like the looks of the new camaro to much even tough i culd imagine owning a convertible one cus they look like **** on wheels!

i wuld much rather consider buying a firebird than a camaro just becouse they look allot faster. and mind you, many buyers of firebirds arnt brand spesific and just bought the birds becouse of there looks not becouse it is gm, so basicly if they wuld have droped the bird sometime while they were making the 4 gen potential buyers of firebird wuld not automaticly go with a camaro instead, maybe a stang or something japaneese instead.

i almost always have liked the firebird better or like so
1.Gen both firebird and camaro look realy good
2.Gen the TA looks loads better
3,Gen i always thought the cars were bad as either make
LT1. TA looks winner hands down
LS1. TA looks better though the camaro looked much better than the lt1 camaro did.

just my .02

but lets look at the bright side of things. in the begining when they just made camaros they sold realy well and they probably introduced the firebird becouse of the camaros awsome sales and who is to say that it will not hapen for the new camaro
Old 08-24-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just because I won't go to the camaro, doesn't mean I'm ready to stick to the bow tie; I'd trade my 2000 T/A convertible for Z07...
Old 08-24-2006, 10:42 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by tuske427
Why don't those of you who want a new car but don't like the chevy badges on it make a phantom 5th gen Trans Am out of it . Get hold of a customizing shop and let them go to town. Make your own 5th gen T/A and drive a one of a kind creation!
If GM doesn't build a Firebird, I think there's a good chance that the aftermarket will. Someone will come up with conversion kit - nose, hood, tailight panel, etc. - if it can be produced for a reasonable cost. In fact, maybe we'll see GM license somebody like SLP to do it - an expensive special edition car. Anything is possible at this point.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Just what this thread needs....more ignorant comments.
Your personel interests are distrupting this thread, if you want to take it to PM then keep it that way. Quit bringing personel stuff into the limelight. I'm stating my opinion, which is legal nowadays, or else i thought it was, maybe not on LS1tech. People with different opinions want to shut us down who differnetiate from the masses. That's why I call u people sheep.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Midnight
Clearely the Trans Am is better than the camaro.....

Face the facts, each car is owned and operated by an inbread redneck, so its really the same car.
well if you believe that to be true - looking at your fleet of hillbilly wagons in your sig, i'd say you know a thing or two about being an "imbread" (lmao) redneck
Old 08-25-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by purepwrta
Camaros outsold Firebirds because they were cheaper werent they. The birds had way more leather such as dash and doors rather than plastic like the camaro. The birds are kinda like the luxury f-body because they were more expensive i guess.
BZZZZZZZZZZZZ, Wrong! You're completely delusional if you think the leather and plastic is a different brand and better quality than a run of the mill Chevy. You got the same crappy plastic and the same low grade leather that everyone else got.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SOMWS62001
Well I won't be giving them my money. I am a Trans Am fan more than a F-body fan. I'll buy a new vette before a camaro. I think a challenger might be in my future.
I am with him^^^
Old 08-26-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

Trans Am's are better than anything. FACT.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I see it, the new Camaro doesn't really offer anything that I want over what I already have with my Formula.

Allow me to explain:

If the buy in price is $35,000, and I suppose I could sell my Formula for ~$10k... maybe 14K what with the brand new engine and all... (Not that I would sell my Formula, but just for the sake of argument...)

That's $21-25K to upgrade to the new Camaro. For that kind of money I can match or beat anything the Camaro has to offer. Engine swap to a 427 plus wheels/tires/suspension is quickly becoming a reality for that price (or well under it…) with the new gear out there. Who knows what will come with the new GMPP LSX block...

Actually, add another $2500 to the sticker of that Camaro because that IRS will have to come right out.

The only way that it would be worth a $20K+ premium would be if it offered some clear advantage over the 4th gen that can't be done easily with aftermarket upgrades. An example would be an all-aluminum frame or other significant weight savings. For some people, the IRS is just such a thing... for me, it's an annoyance that will have to be removed.

Styling wise, I think the new Camaro looks GREAT. If they came out with a new 'bird with similarly good styling, I might be tempted... I do have a soft spot for the Firebird. Don’t get me wrong; GM is definitely doing the right thing by only coming out with a Camaro and not a Firebird. It just makes more business sense.

But even if they did have a Firebird, $20K+ is a lot to ask. I would likely still hold out for some clear advantage.

I think the new Camaro is a great development and definitely good news. It's just not quite the car for me. At least, not as it stands right now. If GM keeps improving it as the model years go on, then it just might happen. And if they come out with a new ‘Bird, their odds go up.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black_knight
The way I see it, the new Camaro doesn't really offer anything that I want over what I already have with my Formula.

Allow me to explain:

If the buy in price is $35,000, and I suppose I could sell my Formula for ~$10k... maybe 14K what with the brand new engine and all... (Not that I would sell my Formula, but just for the sake of argument...)

That's $21-25K to upgrade to the new Camaro. For that kind of money I can match or beat anything the Camaro has to offer. Engine swap to a 427 plus wheels/tires/suspension is quickly becoming a reality for that price (or well under it…) with the new gear out there. Who knows what will come with the new GMPP LSX block...

Actually, add another $2500 to the sticker of that Camaro because that IRS will have to come right out.

The only way that it would be worth a $20K+ premium would be if it offered some clear advantage over the 4th gen that can't be done easily with aftermarket upgrades. An example would be an all-aluminum frame or other significant weight savings. For some people, the IRS is just such a thing... for me, it's an annoyance that will have to be removed.

Styling wise, I think the new Camaro looks GREAT. If they came out with a new 'bird with similarly good styling, I might be tempted... I do have a soft spot for the Firebird. Don’t get me wrong; GM is definitely doing the right thing by only coming out with a Camaro and not a Firebird. It just makes more business sense.

But even if they did have a Firebird, $20K+ is a lot to ask. I would likely still hold out for some clear advantage.

I think the new Camaro is a great development and definitely good news. It's just not quite the car for me. At least, not as it stands right now. If GM keeps improving it as the model years go on, then it just might happen. And if they come out with a new ‘Bird, their odds go up.
your arguement makes no sense. your just arguing agains buying a new car not against buying a camaro. you culd take the same reason why most of us shuld not just sell your cars and buy real cheap chevelle or something and invest the money and make a strong runner out of it.

but your arguement is valid for thoes who are racing. it makes no sense to buy a new car for racing exept if you have loads of money. most of all the buyers want something with decent stock power, good ride quality and factory warranty, not an all out dragracing machine where everything such as comfort and luxury has been sacrificed for the sake of making better straight line performance
Old 08-27-2006, 03:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by old and good
your arguement makes no sense. your just arguing agains buying a new car not against buying a camaro.
What's the difference, and why doesn't that make sense?

The fact is that it doesn't offer anything over keeping my Firebird and modding it. For buyers like me, the new Camaro must compete against just keeping my existing car and modding it. This shouldn't be shocking or unusual. It certainly isn't a knock against the new Camaro.

As I said, if it had something that could not be added via the aftermarket, then it would draw a buyer like me.

Let me add some further clarification: I bought my 99 Firebird because it had a few things that older cars did not: EFI for low maintenance, 6spd tranny, and ABS.

1) EFI: Yes you can make the old cars fast and for not too much money, but can you drive them daily while getting <10 MPG and tearing the motor apart every week to adjust the lifters? Plus I wouldn't even know where to begin tuning a carb.

2) 6 Speed: Double overdrive means that I can drive my car cross country, as well as commute 30+ miles to work. Can't do that in older cars, at least not without paying out the *ss for gas and stopping to fill up constantly.

3) I absolutely insist upon having ABS. I've driven cars with and without ABS and for me it is a safety feature that I will not do without. Had too many close calls locking up the wheels in the rain trying to stop. This rules out not only older cars, but also 5.0 mustangs, 3rd gen F-bodies, and Grand Nationals.

All three of these are reasons to pick the 4th gen for your < 12 second daily driver versus older cars. All I am saying is that the 5th gen does not add anything in terms of "gotta have it" features that justify the expense over the 4th gen (and can’t be added with the aftermarket for less $$$).

most of all the buyers want something with decent stock power, good ride quality and factory warranty, not an all out dragracing machine where everything such as comfort and luxury has been sacrificed for the sake of making better straight line performance
You make it sound like my car and what I want is an all-out drag car. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Yes I want my car to run in the 10's or lower, but it is a daily driver and will always remain so. It is never getting gutted and I will never run skinnies or slicks or race gas or solid lifters. I follow the motto of "build a fast street car, not a slow race car."

You mention "ride quality and factory warranty" as reasons to buy the 5th gen. Agreed, it offers those, but I personally don't care. My Firebird's ride quality is good enough for me. I don't need nor want better ride quality. And $20K+ is a lot to pay for a warranty which I will quickly void by modding the car, LOL!

Out of curiosity, what part of my post specifically makes no sense to you? Do you think I'm putting down the 5th gen? I'm not. I'm just saying why it doesn't justify the expense for me.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I seriously doubt I would buy a new one. I just do not see the reason behind the new Camaro when it is going to cost a fortune. My '01 T/A was $33,000 so what is this going to cost? No one bought the last year Camaro or Trans Am mainly because of price. Look at the production numbers for years '01-'02, production numbers so low that we already have collector cars. Paying $30,000+ just is not going to work for most GM fans, and for that price I'm afraid of them being made even cheaper (see cracked door panels) than our current rides. I'm sure the first year sales will be decent, but then what? Back to the same dilemma as in 2002 - too expensive and too small a segment of the car buying public. GM needs to learn from it's very own history.

yeah i concur on this...

the thing that i really like about the current f-body selection is all the different choices out there. I keep getting this picture in my head of thousands of new 09 camaros driving around like these new mustangs and it's just not "special" anymore. i mean how many years do you think a new camaro can really live on past 09'??? i just dont see it lasting. i dont honestly see the public supporting it much past it's "anniversary" 09' as much as i'd love that... it's just not realistic. this is GM... remember that.

i think it's sweet they are bringing the camaro back, but imo by 09', i'd rather cop a late model z06 and be really living my dream.. i think the 06'+ z06's are gonna hold their value pretty well for awhile tho.. so that might not be comparable to the new camaro, but theres plenty options out there. Just my .02
Old 08-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

I've been a Gm owner for, um, decades...
80 Grand Prix,
84 Trans Am
85 Silverado 3/4 ton
85 Riviera
97 Trans Am
97 Monte Carlo
01 Tahoe

If the camaro appeals to my eye, doesn't have any "what were they thinking"... I might buy one. But the '97 Trans still gets primo garage parking.

But I'm not holding my breath to buy one either. I do kind of like being somewhat "unique" on the street. The recent mustang explosion as mentioned above has suddenly made the car "ordinary". I know I won't be paying full sticker price for a soon-to-be ordinary camaro, so if sales are brisk for the '09, I'll probably miss out.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

i just say screw the union and let the cannucks make our cars again
Old 08-27-2006, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 434 Likes on 341 Posts

what's the problem here? Firebirds has always been a Camaro. Since 1982 all firebirds has had smallblock Chevys in them anyway. Pontiac has always tried to suck off of Chevy's succes.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:04 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
what's the problem here? Firebirds has always been a Camaro. Since 1982 all firebirds has had smallblock Chevys in them anyway. Pontiac has always tried to suck off of Chevy's succes.
Wow... lots of ignorance in this thread.

You obviously know nothing about pre-82 Pontiac. Firebird kicked the Camaro's *** for about a decade.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Is no one interested in discussing the possibility of an "aftermarket" Firebird? Say, GM licenses SLP to build a "Pontiac" Firehawk - an ultra-premium performance version of the car. Is this something that would be in the realm of feasibility?
Old 08-27-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Wow... lots of ignorance in this thread.

You obviously know nothing about pre-82 Pontiac. Firebird kicked the Camaro's *** for about a decade.
u tell em man!

Quick Reply: GM says firbird owners will have to buy camaro's --will you?