Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Black Sappire Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
If the paint code is different, it's a different color. I don't understand what the debate is about. Just like I said earlier, it's tough to distinquish colors after they've gone through a camera, then converted using computer software, then posted online. A lot of silver cars look pewter and vice versa. Same way with hugger orange and red. They can look the same depending on how the picture was taken and how each user's monitor and settings are configured.

I wish you were closer as I'd love to see the difference in person.

exactly, we compared the cars in person, and all of us noticed the difference.
and the paint code is different, so its obviously something different.

paul, try going to a GM dealership and see if they can find it for you, if you tell them the code
Old 09-15-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I'll try the dealership thing. And The Alchemist is right, check it out I have a pic of the car where the paint looks kinda teal.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BA98TA
If its darker and its named different... then its not technically NBM is it?
Sorry, I may have been a lil fuzzy on what I was saying. I meant that when NBM is repainted (like any color) it appears darker and fuller than say a 60k car with NBM on it. I was by a enthusiast that works at the dearlship that the colors are identical, the name is just different. This is interesting though, to the poster, please keep us updated! (Oh, and you may want to resize your sig, yours is 168 pixels high, limit is 150hx500w
Old 09-15-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I'm on it.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"28U - Primary Color - Exterior, Navy Blue Metallic", I just found that from a online RPO database, I have 28U in my door jam too. I bet your car has been repainted.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

The RPO code for navy blue metallic 28U. If you notice the side skirts and lip spoiler are not sock so that means they must have been repainted. My guess is the car was originally navy blue metallic and at some point was repainted when the ground effects were put on. Sorry it doesnt help you with the color.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Trust
"28U - Primary Color - Exterior, Navy Blue Metallic", I just found that from a online RPO database, I have 28U in my door jam too. I bet your car has been repainted.
beat me to it
Old 09-15-2006, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok guys...I took the time (not sure why) to dive into this a little deeper..and guess what...everyone is right in their own way. There are actually different shades of "Navy Blue Met". Yes, they are both paint code 28 for year 1998, but, they don't share the same secondary code. There is also code 28 for black saphire met...so. Chances are it isn't black saphire, but is the other shade of NBM (most likely). I'm guessing the two different formulations of NBM maybe have something to do with when the car was made, and there might have been a swap over to one or the other for some reason. I'll bet the reason you see a color difference in person is because of when your car was build vs. when the other (likely later build date) Navy cars where made. Black Saphire was likely used in a different plant and never used at the Canadian plant that built the F-bodies.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Philhawk02
ok guys...I took the time (not sure why) to dive into this a little deeper..and guess what...everyone is right in their own way. There are actually different shades of "Navy Blue Met". Yes, they are both paint code 28 for year 1998, but, they don't share the same secondary code. There is also code 28 for black saphire met...so. Chances are it isn't black saphire, but is the other shade of NBM (most likely). I'm guessing the two different formulations of NBM maybe have something to do with when the car was made, and there might have been a swap over to one or the other for some reason. I'll bet the reason you see a color difference in person is because of when your car was build vs. when the other (likely later build date) Navy cars where made. Black Saphire was likely used in a different plant and never used at the Canadian plant that built the F-bodies.
Interesting, thanks. And when I pulled the RPO Code from an online database it came up as Black Sapphire Metallic. I used lonestarthunder.com, which is what I thought most people used.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and mine is a 99 but we compared it with a 98.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
Interesting, thanks. And when I pulled the RPO Code from an online database it came up as Black Sapphire Metallic. I used lonestarthunder.com, which is what I thought most people used.
No problem. I actually found a page with GM paint chips from 1998, I'm guessing they're the same as 1999 too. That explains why you found it as Black Sapphire. I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive the F-bodies used a unique painting system compared to other GM cars, which is why I'm guessing there could be variations on the NBM possibly based on year, or time of year etc...
Old 09-15-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

variations in paint colors is why the BPM was only around for 1/2 a year. GM couldn't keep it consistent.

I have a 99 and a friend has a 98, and our reds look different even though its the same red
Old 09-15-2006, 04:54 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenix 5.7
variations in paint colors is why the BPM was only around for 1/2 a year. GM couldn't keep it consistent.

I have a 99 and a friend has a 98, and our reds look different even though its the same red
What color is BPM (beats per minute, LOL ). You said your car is red, so I'm guessing it's some shade of red.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
What color is BPM (beats per minute, LOL ). You said your car is red, so I'm guessing it's some shade of red.
Bright Purple Metallic

Old 09-16-2006, 10:38 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There was no Black Sapphire Metallic on LS1 Trans Ams in 1999. Navy Blue Metallic and Medium Blue Metallic were the only blues available.

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
Bright Purple Metallic

Thanks a lot, budday.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Whatever it is, it looks good. And I really like those white racing stripes, makes me wanna get some!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned

Yeah I'll try the dealership thing. And The Alchemist is right, check it out I have a pic of the car where the paint looks kinda teal.
damn thats a kick *** pic
Old 09-17-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

To add to this when I recently had my hood repainted the body shop warned me that my hood might not match because there are over 10 ways to do nbm. They showed me on the computer there were different formulas to get nbm and matching it to the nbm already on the car is a trick. It depends on what color the factory was painting cars before it in line. Like if red was before your car the body shop would select the nbm that calls for more red to match panels. Hope that helps. Yes I do notice a color difference from whitestripes nbmgreg and even my own car. Lighting also does different things to this color as well. Depending on the time of day the weather the season my car has looked different. Hell even when my car isnt super clean it is a different blue.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, It's strange, but I've pretty much chalked it up to being a cool little thing that my car has to it. Oh well if it is NBM, at least it's a different shade. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:32 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, It's strange, but I've pretty much chalked it up to being a cool little thing that my car has to it. Oh well if it is NBM, at least it's a different shade. Thanks for all your help guys.
I'm betting that it was another color at some point in time, and was repainted.

Do you know what the actual paint code is on it?

Quick Reply: Black Sappire Metallic