Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

traction control switch mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah the trac off light comes on but believe its the same way with slp switch. I'm glad I don't have to reach over and turn off every time .Someone posted that light can be tuned out ,I've got hptuners and car is parked for winter and haven't had chance to try.Anyone know how?Thanks
Old 02-09-2007, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Does the yellow TCS OFF light come on in the dash?
Nope sure doesnt. Im pretty good friends with the guys son who owned the car before and his son told me his dad gave it a tune but he didnt mention as to what as far as maybe deleting the TCS light.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know, you 2 guys are getting me confused.

Basically I can tell you this:
The SLP device plugs in behind the switch inline with the connector. It electronically does what your finger would do, which is push the button. The one advantage to it is that you can reach over and push the button to turn it back on.

Pulling the fuse or tampering with the servo, cable, etc... will also turn it off.

When you crank up the engine and then press the accelerator the computer does a check of all the traction control components. If any are not working the TCS light on the dash should turn on and the system is basically not activated.

I don't know anything about turning the light off. Mine stays on and it only bothered me for about a week anyway so no big deal.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

ive been reading that some of you do not like the tcs,why is that,dose it afect the performance of the car that much
Old 02-26-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

well if you have TCS and dont realize what it does....then i dunno what to tell you....try to spin some tire w/ it on....then you'll see what happens....
Old 02-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1BadTA13
well if you have TCS and dont realize what it does....then i dunno what to tell you....try to spin some tire w/ it on....then you'll see what happens....
i have only had the car for about a month and a half,after recking one im kinda nerves about geting on it, and i realize it wont let you spin the tires, was just wondering if it afekts the performance .
Old 02-27-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It bogs the engine down quite a bit and holds it for a second before returning the power. Not good at all when trying to accelerate quickly. Now the vettes use a computer controlled throttle body and is able to reduce power just enough to prevent wheelspin whill still keeping the power on. It's a much better and smoother system.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Well bringing back an old one but really happy not having to worry about tcs on after starting car. Also added trans cooler fan switch and radiator fan switch and EMBLEMPROS did the panel part of it (no switches custom order) and they also did N2O ashtray switches. I also put in switches to turn on/off my DRL's (daytime running lights) and interior lights (when doors open at shows) also power antennea (when just cd in)
Old 10-28-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry if this may sound a lil out there but:

In dry weather w/the tc on when my a4 shifts from first to second the gas pedal smacks against the bottom of my foot. No dash lights . I totally forgot this may be the tc until I read this thread. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
Sorry if this may sound a lil out there but:

In dry weather w/the tc on when my a4 shifts from first to second the gas pedal smacks against the bottom of my foot. No dash lights . I totally forgot this may be the tc until I read this thread. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Yes, the pushback you feel on your foot when the car looses traction is the TCS/ASR attempting to back off on the throttle. Although usually TCS/ASR will flash the "Low Trac" light on the dashboard when it does this. If you have no lights when this happens, your dash bulb may be burned out.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Yes, the pushback you feel on your foot when the car looses traction is the TCS/ASR attempting to back off on the throttle. Although usually TCS/ASR will flash the "Low Trac" light on the dashboard when it does this. If you have no lights when this happens, your dash bulb may be burned out.
Thanks JohnnyBs98WS6Rag, As soon as the hurricane clears out I will go for a blast. I will step on it more and see if the light works. I think I saw it once. Can't wait to try it w/ the button off. Doh, I totally forgot about it.

Quick Reply: traction control switch mod