Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

01 Last of Breed Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Last of Breed Questions?

Just picked up an 01 pewter Last of Breed WS-6, with automatic tranny, anyone know much about these cars, anything really special about em?, Its mint condition and has 70k on it, I am absolutely in love with this thing! Feel like I got a good deal on it, I paid 12,500 for it.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

The LOB decal package was just an add on for the 02 (last year) that you could buy separately, some put it on other years, but even on the 02's it's just part of an appearance package, no big. I have it, love it, but still nothing special. Enjoy the new ride & good choice!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:14 AM
Banned

The '02 year model was the last of the breed....

You currently own an "almost last of the breed."

It's just a badge anyway, and it's not a factory item either. If you like the badge and consider all LS1 T/A's a last of the breed then seek out a badge, good luck though, they're scarce.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:50 AM

The car actually has the plate on the left side front of the cyl,head and the # of the car on top of the fender well with the total # made, guess they made them in 01 and 02. Anyone cut air inlets behind the 2 scoops on the hood? Seems the airflow is way restricted, I cut 6 1 1/2" holes behind the forward air deflectors, cut them up a little higher just to minimize any chance of rain entering and can feel a huge difference.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:46 AM
VSJ
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAREBREED
The car actually has the plate on the left side front of the cyl,head and the # of the car on top of the fender well with the total # made, guess they made them in 01 and 02. Anyone cut air inlets behind the 2 scoops on the hood? Seems the airflow is way restricted, I cut 6 1 1/2" holes behind the forward air deflectors, cut them up a little higher just to minimize any chance of rain entering and can feel a huge difference.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but anyone can get that plate...its aftermarket.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by VSJ
Sorry to burst your bubble, but anyone can get that plate...its aftermarket.
What do you mean burst my bubble? I'm just trying to findout about the car, I had never seen a WS-6 with these markings untill I bought this one yesterday, to be honest with you I like the car but it aint **** compared to the 03 Z06 I sold a month ago.

Last edited by RAREBREED; 07-03-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow you sold the ZO6 for the trans am? Why? if you dont mind me asking. Most people upgrade to the Z from an F-body, you seemed to have down graded???? Just a little shocked, thats all.

Anyways, The plate on your cylinder head can be purchased just about anywhere and you can get them custom like yours with build #'s, year, etc, and like said above- The last of the breed is just a kit that you can get. Comes with a keychain, two emblems, and a little document that you can put your VIN# on and frame it (I have it for my 2002).

AND......Congrats, an '01 AT with 70k for $12.5 is a pretty good deal. Too bad its not an M6. POST UP some pics, and WELCOME TO THE SITE!
Old 07-03-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
The '02 year model was the last of the breed....

You currently own an "almost last of the breed."

It's just a badge anyway, and it's not a factory item either. If you like the badge and consider all LS1 T/A's a last of the breed then seek out a badge, good luck though, they're scarce.
You will have to get an ALOB BADGE.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:32 PM

Well, had to put the Z06 money in a few other places, had 15,000 miles on it when I sold it, had 31k in it and not much oweing on it and sold it for 38k, so I figured with the money I have left and this car at a pretty good price, I can do a Pro-Charger build, to destroy a few vipers runnin around here.
Oh yea, just put a new set of 285's on it today, nice.....

Old 07-03-2007, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EvilBLK02TA
Wow you sold the ZO6 for the trans am? Why? if you dont mind me asking. Most people upgrade to the Z from an F-body, you seemed to have down graded???? Just a little shocked, thats all.

Anyways, The plate on your cylinder head can be purchased just about anywhere and you can get them custom like yours with build #'s, year, etc, and like said above- The last of the breed is just a kit that you can get. Comes with a keychain, two emblems, and a little document that you can put your VIN# on and frame it (I have it for my 2002).

AND......Congrats, an '01 AT with 70k for $12.5 is a pretty good deal. Too bad its not an M6. POST UP some pics, and WELCOME TO THE SITE!
I don't get why in the world people say "Too bad it's not an M6" Why would you even put that?!?!? I have yet to lose to a manual!!! Who gives a **** manual or automatic!?!?! Makes no difference you want the computer to shift consistently?! I would especiall when the driver of the manual misses a shift and I smoke his ***!
Old 07-03-2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by clg82
I don't get why in the world people say "Too bad it's not an M6" Why would you even put that?!?!? I have yet to lose to a manual!!! Who gives a **** manual or automatic!?!?! Makes no difference you want the computer to shift consistently?! I would especiall when the driver of the manual misses a shift and I smoke his ***!
"Thats what i'm sayin! My car hooks and launches."
Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

WOW dude relax! Im just saying too bad its not an M6 because they are so fun to drive vs. just stomping the pedal. AND if you know how to drive then you wont be missing shifts.... but anyways- careful what you say, yes its your opinion but you have a lot to learn on this site. This site is for enthusiast who want to learn about the cars and not for young kids who think their opinion is the only one that matters and is always right. Each person is different- "my opinion was too bad its not M6" thats all I said.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

There is nothing "last of the breed" about it since its a 2001.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:02 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

From your pic, the "Last of the Breed" appears to be a custom vinyl decal that a previous owner had made. The actual Last of the Breed emblems were just that...actual emblems. The emblems were a crest shape....

Old 07-04-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by JCurtin
There is nothing "last of the breed" about it since its a 2001.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent cars with a date of june of that year or later considered the next year, atleast from my experience as an ICAR Gold Master Certified paint tech, thats how I reference a lot of paint colors as the next year, since color variants and paint suppliers on different vehicles change, such as one year the auto manufacturer will use BASF basecoat and the next year will use PPG or Dupont, there are mid year changes, and usually you will find that 08 model vehicles will sometimes be in showroom floors in june or july of 07, mine has a 6th month date on it. I just think it would be stupid to buy an 01 and go through all of the aggravation of putting false markings on it, I talked to the idiot who last had the car and he was the second owner and he did not put the stuff on there, I dont know, maybe the dumb *** who originally purchased the car put the crap on there after he first bought it, It doesnt matter because in about another month shes gonna be smokin em with about 550 at the rears. Supercharged.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Line up with me and you will loose and think again about your statement.click vid in sig to see what would happen LOL
Old 07-04-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent cars with a date of june of that year or later considered the next year, atleast from my experience as an ICAR Gold Master Certified paint tech, thats how I reference a lot of paint colors as the next year, since color variants and paint suppliers on different vehicles change, such as one year the auto manufacturer will use BASF basecoat and the next year will use PPG or Dupont, there are mid year changes, and usually you will find that 08 model vehicles will sometimes be in showroom floors in june or july of 07, mine has a 6th month date on it. I just think it would be stupid to buy an 01 and go through all of the aggravation of putting false markings on it, I talked to the idiot who last had the car and he was the second owner and he did not put the stuff on there, I dont know, maybe the dumb *** who originally purchased the car put the crap on there after he first bought it, It doesnt matter because in about another month shes gonna be smokin em with about 550 at the rears. Supercharged.
What does the title say, 02 or 01? It's an 01, regardless of when it was built. Mine was built on 8-29-01.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:14 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I just think it would be stupid to buy an 01 and go through all of the aggravation of putting false markings on it,
Me too. That's why I let you know that the emblems on your 'bird are bogus. I'd just get your wife's hair dryer out, and take care of them
Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
VSJ
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean burst my bubble? I'm just trying to findout about the car, I had never seen a WS-6 with these markings untill I bought this one yesterday, to be honest with you I like the car but it aint **** compared to the 03 Z06 I sold a month ago.
Your trying to find out about the car and Im telling you about the car. As stated many times over 2002 is the LOB. There isnt anything special about LOB other than it being the last year they were built. The badges, plates, decals you see are all aftermarket.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i thought on 2002 firebird models you could purchase the LOB package for around 250 from the factory. I know of an old lady here in town who has a 2002 pewter ws6 and it has the lob badges. Or wait, is the LOB the same thing as the NHRA edition? cause her filler plate says nhra edition but she bought it brand new and shes about 65 so i know for a fact shes not going to mod it. Plus i knew when she bought it becuase i went down there to look at it and she had bought it the day before. I didnt get to see wether or not it had the badges. But i thought it was widely known that the lob was a factory option in 02 and now there are just after market people replicating it. Hmm either way its bad ***. I was going to put it on my 99 just because my 99 was the last of the breed. I think any ls1 bird is worthy of the badge

Quick Reply: 01 Last of Breed Questions?