Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

'73 Firebird Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '73 Firebird Restoration

I started with a '73 Firebird Esprit that was in pretty bad shape. It was a vinyl top car that had been severly neglected over the years. I had to replace both quarter panels, passenger side fender, I had to make the rear roll pan, and **** load of other rust repair. I also yanked the BOP 350 and TH350 and replaced it with a fairly stout Chev 355 and TH400. I'm having issues w/ the transmission. Since this is my first resto, I assumed the TH400 was a "drop-in and go" part. I think I was wrong... it's boiling tranny juice out of the dipstick tube and I can't figure out why! It's probably something stupid and simple but before I buy a new tranny, I thought I would check here first. I need a check-list of connections I need to make to the tranny to make sure I've got everything hooked up right. Before it starts boiling fluid, it runs around fine. Once the fluid starts boiling out of the dipstick tube, it starts to slip and the reason of course is lack of fluid from it boiling out. What am I missing? The vacuum lines are connected, shifter, speedo, reverse lock out. Kick-down maybe? How's the 400 supposed to be connected. Sorry for rambling, I'm just a little frustrated.

Here are some before and after pics. I disassembled this car (except the interior) to 2 piles, parts and fastners. I spec'd and built the engine, done all of the body work and even put the paint on myself. I think the only thing I had a pro do was make the driveshaft...

Help w/ the tranny issue would be appreciated.

Thanks

Before:

During:

After: (wrapped up Monday)

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

its puking because it doesnt have the Pontiac engine anymore lol just kidding

check the cooler lines and the filter, thats what first popped in my mind

car looks good, great body work
Old 08-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Captain. You did remind me of something. When I put it all together, I put the coolant lines to the NEW radiator and got nothing, then took the lines from the raidiator and put them to the oil cooler, It was pushing fluid through the cooler at that point. I'm not sure of the volume though. I dropped the pan and installed a new filter last night. The oil I pumped out of the tranny was still red (not burnt). Could the pump in the tranny be bad?

Thanks for the props. It was my first venture in that much work. I learned a lot and the next one will be a lot cleaner. This is definately a 10-stepper! I'll be wet sanding for years to come...lol
Old 08-04-2007, 04:16 PM
SCRWS6

Wow, that was horrible....looks great now!!!! Anything "coming soon" on the interior?
Another bird saved.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks SCRW. The interior is going to be the easy part. Needs the dash pad, arm rest pad and the driver's seat needs recovered. I'm hoping to get it all wrapped up before the TA Nationals in September. I'm going to keep the stock seats and covers. Those front seats are more comfortable than my leather recliner.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man that looks a-world of difference!!! major props for saving the bird man........ i see a ol (black) camaro in the background in one pic, and another late model camaro (red) .....car looks good man needs a spoiler though i think in my opinon they look great with the spoiler......nice job though!
Old 08-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks.

Yep, there's a 78 Z in the background. It's C&C t-top. It's been slightly stripped and has a pretty stout 350/350 in it. That's the next project. I have a lot less body work to do with that one. It'll get a cage, 4-link and tubbed rear pretty quick. I'm pulling the motor for the winter and going through it. It'll end up being the bracket car w/ a BBC and a lot of N2O.

There's a 2000 Z28 M6 there also. That's my weekend warrior. NA it's best is 11.67 @ 118 weighing in at 3850 w/ me in it. On a little shot of juice it went 11.2 @ 122. She still gets 28-29mpg on the highway! Currently it's doing the bracket racing. This winter I'm putting the 5.3 heads back on with a bigger cam (currently 220/224 530/534 w/ 1.85 rockers). I'm looking for 11.3-5 NA and 10.5s on the juice.

The '73 is "her" car. She absolutely hates the spoiler on it...lol I think it makes the car personally. She may warm up to the idea before long. I have front light wiring to wrap up, front coil springs to contend with (she's ridin' too high for my tase) and about 8000000000000 hours of wet sanding and polishing. (my first paint job)

Yep, I've got enough f-bodies to go around.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it looks good without the spoiler, wouldnt look bad with one though

Quick Reply: '73 Firebird Restoration