Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Window Problem, Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Problem, Need Help

Ok, here it goes. I have a 1998 Firebird.I have a problem with my window on the drivers door. Basically, the motor and the regulator both work. The problem is my window glass is able to move roughly 2-4" horizontally(the range of motion is toward the engine bay and hatch back). I brought it to the shop, and they said I need the piece that holds the glass, like it pastes to the glass or something. It so rusted they could not identify the gm part number. As it is now, every time I roll down the window, I am able to physically move it fowards towards the hood of the car and backwards towards the trunk of the car with about 3-4" of play in this range and its a real hassle to get it in perfect alignment when it comes time to close it. There is also slight play towards the inside of the car and the outside as well. Does anyone here know what part(s) I need to fix this as I am at a stand still on this one?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Beo
Staging Lane

Hmmm. If they took your door apart, they SHOULD be able to remove the rust to find the part number. Then again, it wouldn't be too hard to call your local GM parts dealer and get that part; you would just need to know the appropriate part name.

I will be pulling door panels off of my '95 tonight. I might be able to toss you a few part numbers.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Thanks, the guy working on my car called it a glass holder. I know its not the regulator or the channel bracket that attaches to the base of the window glass and the 2 arms on the regulator. I am unsure what other parts attach to the glass to keep it in place. I appreciate your help on trying to identify the parts I need.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Beo
Staging Lane

The only thing I would call the glass holder would be the channel the glass sits in. If it is moving within that, it sounds like the rivets are missing. However, it could be that that channel is moving. I will mess with the glass on my '95 to see what moves.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:25 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Regardless of whether or not your mechanic can see the part number, the dealership can look it up using the "exploded views" in their computer parts system. My local dealership has done that for me a time or two, and the guy simply turns the screen so I can see it. I pointed at the parts I needed, and he was able to get the part numbers from there.

If you go the junkyard route, there's no need for a part number. Just go to the yard, and pull off the part you need. Heck, the yard might even have the same part pulled and on a shelf.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Teching In

That is what I would like to do. Unfortunately, I was not at the shop when the door was opened up. Its sub freezing temps outside where I live now, so opening up my door outdoors is not something I want to do until it gets warmer again. If worse comes to worse, I will have to open it myself and figure out what I need. There can only be so many parts holding that glass in place, im pretty sure its a bracket that snapped from rust giving some horizontal play of motion. What that bracket is, I do not know.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Beo
Staging Lane

I tore off the door panel last night, and unfortunately the parts I am looking at are rusted as well. I do not have the appropriate space to crack the door open because its too cold to park my 98 outside. On Friday, I am going to GM to pick up a new instrument cluster for the 95 and I will get part numbers for you.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I appreciate it!
Old 01-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Beo
Staging Lane

I went to the Pontiac stealership today. The parts-guy I normally work with stated that he was no longer allowed to release part numbers. However, he gave me a printout of the door assembly. I will circle the parts that concern you. Also, if you print out the pdf, you can take it down to a GM stealership and get the exact part based off the number on the sheet.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Teching In

If you could email the PDF to nymiezer@optonline.net that would be great!

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Window Problem, Need Help