Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1997 ws6 with 16" ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by BFK86
i thought i remember reading somewhere that there was an option on LT1 year convertibles where you could order a WS6 hood as a "appearance" option without any of the other WS6 equipment.
Not true. When you ordered a convertable w/ WS6 in '97, all you got was the WS6 hood, matching air intake so that it was functional, and better exhaust giving you a bump up to 305 HP. No only did Pontiac NOT offer the WS6 hood "al a carte" on the 'verts, it would make no sense to do so. Having said all that, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that a customer could've purchased a WS6 hood through the Pontiac parts department and had the selling dealer install it (similar to the numerous "LT4 Top Kits" sold and installed that way). But that would've not have been something available from the factory that way.

This is one of the reasons I'm thankful I waited until the '98s came out, not only did the WS6 'verts get the LS1 in '98, they also got the 17" wheels/tires and same upgraded suspension pieces of the WS6 coupes.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 09-19-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Not true. When you ordered a convertable w/ WS6 in '97, all you got was the WS6 hood, matching air intake so that it was functional, and better exhaust giving you a bump up to 305 HP. No only did Pontiac NOT offer the WS6 hood "al a carte" on the 'verts, it would make no sense to do so. Having said all that, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that a customer could've purchased a WS6 hood through the Pontiac parts department and had the selling dealer install it (similar to the numerous "LT4 Top Kits" sold and installed that way). But that would've not have been something available from the factory that way.

This is one of the reasons I'm thankful I waited until the '98s came out, not only did the WS6 'verts get the LS1 in '98, they also got the 17" wheels/tires and same upgraded suspension pieces of the WS6 coupes.
after reading a few replies after i posted i realized this..but yeah i meant you got the hood with the ram air box..and i guess the ws6 catback...just no suspension or wheel upgrades.

Quick Reply: 1997 ws6 with 16" ?