Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Gauge bezel customized...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool Gauge bezel customized...

I posted in the Appearance and detail section, but some don't frequent that section as much as this one...vice versa for myself, so here's the cake!

Customized myself, and Decals specially made at a local club sponsor shop. Just want to get some input as I might try to buy a few of these things to mod and start selling.

Swat
Old 06-21-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks really nice, but IMO doesn't match the interior :\

If it was gray like the buttons, or if you painted the buttons that silver, that might look pretty nice.

You did a great job though, just isn't my taste, so please don't take offense or let it sway you that it's crappy.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, I think it gives the car a more "Modern" look, besides the stereo, controls, and of course that damn ancient blinker/wiper lever I would say the interior looks like that of newer cars
Old 06-21-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Formula350
...or if you painted the buttons that silver, that might look pretty nice.

You did a great job though, just isn't my taste, so please don't take offense or let it sway you that it's crappy.
DEFINATELY NO offense taken, your criticism is valid and constructive also polite. More respectable than many of the punks around this place.

...Making the dials silver....hmmmmm..... *wink and a smile*

Oh, be advised, the car is silver, so I tried to bring some of that inside with the black, another Classified mod will have silver in the interior as well. I want to do the buckets for the vents in silver too. The Radio will disappear and be replaced with a monitor screen along with the HVAC controls being moved down onto the console cubby-hole/lighter area after some customizing. Will a GTO or other newer Pontiac car's Signal Lever fit in our cars??
Old 06-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Hey if u could make a red one with a black formula inlay u got a potential customer....instiallation sheet would be helpful too
Old 06-21-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I actually assumed your paint was that color heh

I assume a newer level would fit, but work right is another thing. It would require the newer style one to have all the same functions as the old one, and PROBABLY operate in the same way. IE: Switch for cruise off/on/accel, button to set. twist to turn on wipers, momentary on/off to wipers+washer fluid spray. Main question would be, if it matters how many settings for wipers speeds it has. If it has any less than what is currently in place, I'd hate it lol My moms 02 Protege is Too Slow, Pretty Fast, Really Fast. 'Slow' has too long of a delay for a good sprinkle, 'pretty fast' is too fast for it. For a good rain 'pretty fast' is a tad too slow, and 'really fast' is a touch too fast. A down pour, 'really fast' is finally spot on :\

Anyways, not enough people ARE nice, just more of a reason I try to be. (But I won't deny I can be a dick heh, normally not when someone's asking an opinion though)
Old 06-22-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice, I agree more of the interrior trim should be that color or what ever color is chosen, but that is a good idea and a good start. Maybe you could also put the "Trans Am" or "Fire Hawk" in the spot that you have "WS-6" and not put the "Trans Am" at the top, put "Pontiac" or "Firebird", and maybe have a package set up to have more trim peices just some ideas if you start making them for others. Good luck
Old 06-22-2008, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Firebird-Guy, I can do whatever color you wish with any color/type of decal you desire. PM me and we'll talk $$ if you want it done.

Formula350, I laughed a bit too long over that wiper speed stuff!! Too much experience and mutual frustration I guess!! Same functions would be a must in swapping that lever...I'll have to research it some.

94 F-body, That Trans Am decal is too long for that location (where the WS6 one is). Fact of it is, tho that it can be swapped to another Trans Am that isn't a WS6 or one that is and it'd still be a valid badge. It's clear coated over, so it's not changing any time soon! lol I can make it any way you want with any decal on the bezel you want. I smooth and paint any hard plastic pieces of the interior and I DO offer the Gauge Surround, Door handle pieces and radio surround in 'Package' price. The gauge bezel, large top-of-dash piece and center console piece can be added for extra or ANY part can be done individually. Lots of labor time in sanding and wet sanding tho so it isn't cheap. I DO shoot for nothing less than PERFECTION tho to ensure my time is well worth it and you'd get your money's worth.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Swat
Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol Yea, I hate any other car but GM for wipers. I don't recall, but I think Ford might have 5 settings.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I got the vent buckets painted Silver and re-installed today. I broke one of the vents (just a little) so I'm waiting on the repairs to cure before I put that one in and get pics up. It balances out the silver in the gauges better than I thought it would.

Swat
Old 06-23-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A little off topic....but is the mileage on these cars stored in the gauge pod or in the computer itself? Meaning if you change the gauges does it show the mileage on the cluster (previous car) or on the car itself?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:36 AM
TECH Regular

Looks great!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Love it! If you ever start making them to sell let me know!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

I think the bezel should be the same color as the buttons. The silver is too much, but like said before, if you like it, go for it.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PatriotT/A
I think the bezel should be the same color as the buttons. The silver is too much, but like said before, if you like it, go for it.
The buttons and dials have a rubber-like material covering them making it difficult to paint. There is more silver being added to the interior to balance it out. I'll get pics as soon as I can.

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
A little off topic....but is the mileage on these cars stored in the gauge pod or in the computer itself? Meaning if you change the gauges does it show the mileage on the cluster (previous car) or on the car itself?
Interesting question and I would like to know the answer to that too!!

Swat
Old 06-24-2008, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Looks awesome, but like already stated, doesn't really match too much.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

sorry for trying to help, I just put out some ideas
Old 06-26-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

Originally Posted by 94 F-body
sorry for trying to help, I just put out some ideas
Good ideas at that. Just was tryin to explain why I didn't put the 'Trans Am' decal there. And I DO offer package deals on interior plastics modification. Believe me, if I hadn't thought of it, I'd call you a genius! Thanks and good lookin out!

Swat

P.S. Anyone interested???
Old 06-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it except for the silver gauge surround.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:01 AM
Teching In

Default Bezel disassembly

How did you separate the clear shell from the bezel structure? I know it's glued around it's perimeter.

Quick Reply: Gauge bezel customized...