Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

v6 to ws6 change over

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v6 to ws6 change over

I'm currently in the process of turning a 94 v6 into a ws6. Things were going pretty smoothly until I realized that the in dash/ body wiring harness was missing the obd II connector. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find one? Thanks a bunch!
Michelle
Old 10-02-2008, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ladymichelle
I'm currently in the process of turning a 94 v6 into a ws6. Things were going pretty smoothly until I realized that the in dash/ body wiring harness was missing the obd II connector. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find one? Thanks a bunch!
Michelle

Could you elaborate more? You have a 94 V6. Is it a running driving car? What are you doing to it? You have the WS6 donor car, with all the engine/trans/wiring/bodykit?? What year is the WS6? You're transferring the engine/trans over? Any car 95 and older had the OBDI connector, 96 and newer was OBDII. Don't know the complexities of changing to OBDII, but the donor car should have it all, don't know why it would be cut out.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by campbellshotrods
Could you elaborate more? You have a 94 V6. Is it a running driving car? What are you doing to it? You have the WS6 donor car, with all the engine/trans/wiring/bodykit?? What year is the WS6? You're transferring the engine/trans over? Any car 95 and older had the OBDI connector, 96 and newer was OBDII. Don't know the complexities of changing to OBDII, but the donor car should have it all, don't know why it would be cut out.

My firebird is origanally a v6 3.4 I believe. It was running untill we pulled out the engine and trans. I bought a ws6 w/ trans from a 99 trans am. The person I bought the engine off of gave me the complete engine wiring harness and in dash/body harness including the fuse box, but removed the OBD II connector that connects the engine harness to the body harness. I'm not sure why he cut it out. I contacted him afterwards and he told me that he needed to keep it???? But said that I wouldn't have a hard time finding a new one. He was wrong, cause I am lost. I'm either wondering if they made an adaptor for the body harness, or where I could find the connector or even a new one to purchase. I've looked at many sites, but I can not find either.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

What's the point of this? But an LS1 car.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ladymichelle
My firebird is origanally a v6 3.4 I believe. It was running untill we pulled out the engine and trans. I bought a ws6 w/ trans from a 99 trans am.
Do you mean you bought an LS1 w/ trans?
"WS.6" is an RPO code given to Formulas or TransAms. With the 4th gens its just an appearance/handling package with a wheels/tires, WS6 hood, larger front sway bar, and supposedly better valved shocks.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Do you mean you bought an LS1 w/ trans?
"WS.6" is an RPO code given to Formulas or TransAms. With the 4th gens its just an appearance/handling package with a wheels/tires, WS6 hood, larger front sway bar, and supposedly better valved shocks.
Quite wrong! It's not JUST an appearance package! Never ever was. Originally it was a suspension package, but for 4th Gens in 1996 when it started again, it was picked up by SLP and I'll just quote this so it doesn't look like I am ungraciously stealing info (EDIT: I should correct myself a bit on the "just and appearance package", since you did say 'handling', in all fairness. Still, there's a bit more to it than just that)

Ram Air Performance Package (Formula Coupe/Trans Am Coupe) Includes Ram Air induction system, specific tuned suspension, high polished 17-inch aluminum wheels, P275/40ZR17 speed-rated tires, dual oval high polished exhaust outlets. WS6 was the option code was available on both the Formula and the Trans AM. This option boosted power to 305 HP and 330 ft-lbs torque on the 96 and 97 models. In 1998 the WS6 boosted power to 320HP and 345 ft-lbs torque.
You won't get that power alone from the Ram AIR, which would be 30hp on an M6. I believe most got new exhaust and a decent other bit of performance upgrades. I'll have to check into it more later.

Last edited by Formula350; 10-03-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Teching In

nifty
Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Launching!

I doubt there is anything you can buy, nothing I've heard of any way. The only way it would be plug and play is if it was the same year donor car as your car. Your going to have a lot of wiring to figure out since an LS1 never came in a 94 there is no harness to use.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formula350
Quite wrong! It's not JUST an appearance package! Never ever was. Originally it was a suspension package, but for 4th Gens in 1996 when it started again, it was picked up by SLP and I'll just quote this so it doesn't look like I am ungraciously stealing info (EDIT: I should correct myself a bit on the "just and appearance package", since you did say 'handling', in all fairness. Still, there's a bit more to it than just that)
I'm more talking about LS1 cars, which were modified by a company called ASC, SLP didn't touch the LS1 WS.6's, only the Firehawks and SS's.
And the difference in performance isn't that noticeable, the biggest change would be the wider wheels/tires giving the car overall more grip. The shocks were still terribly valved, leaving you lacking the handling and ride department. I own a WS6, and have driven/been in other non-WS6 TransAm's, its not that big of a difference, especially considering how much better it should have been *cough* Koni's *cough*.

You won't get that power alone from the Ram AIR, which would be 30hp on an M6. I believe most got new exhaust and a decent other bit of performance upgrades. I'll have to check into it more later.
You don't have any noticeable extra power period. An LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1. They all made 345hp/375ft.lbs give or take assuming you didn't get the optional SLP exhaust.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm more talking about LS1 cars, which were modified by a company called ASC, SLP didn't touch the LS1 WS.6's, only the Firehawks and SS's.
You can't talk about a 4th Gen WS6 and then TOTALLY leave out the LTs. That's just being a bit naive. I won't deny I completely forgot about ASC taking over in 98 (Or did SLP bless one year and ASC start in 99, I don't recall).

You don't have any noticeable extra power period. An LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1. They all made 345hp/375ft.lbs give or take assuming you didn't get the optional SLP exhaust.
The WS6 LT1s were "305HP" up from 285hp. You'd notice 25hp no matter how numb your *** is heh
Old 10-05-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formula350
You can't talk about a 4th Gen WS6 and then TOTALLY leave out the LTs. That's just being a bit naive. I won't deny I completely forgot about ASC taking over in 98 (Or did SLP bless one year and ASC start in 99, I don't recall).
The OP is taking an engine from a '99 car, thats why Im only talking about LS1 cars, it doesn't matter what the LT1 had changed because he has a '99 engine from a WS6 supposedly.

The WS6 LT1s were "305HP" up from 285hp. You'd notice 25hp no matter how numb your *** is heh
I'm not talking about the LT1 cars.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

The OP is taking an engine from a '99 car, thats why Im only talking about LS1 cars, it doesn't matter what the LT1 had changed because he has a '99 engine from a WS6 supposedly.

I'm not talking about the LT1 cars.

Doesn't matter what year the motor came from, it's an early 4th Gen car. So to be completely fair, you need to mention the SLP-WS6 car's info as well in case they want to style their car around the 96-97. Unless they plan to do a 98+ front end change.

That's like asking what the difference in a Firebird and GTA is in 65 if they were transplanting in a LS motor.

Anyways, after re-reading a post, that "OBD2" connector is probably the body control module portion, and I'm going to hazard a guess that it's different (due to LS PCM) from your 94's BCM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

subscribed. I'm swapping an LS1 into a 93 camaro, originally a v6, would like to know what bcm to use with a 98 pcm

Quick Reply: v6 to ws6 change over