Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Need some advice. Anyone Winter drive their G8?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some advice. Anyone Winter drive their G8?

I live in Montreal and the weather in the winter is very snowy as in we get many 3-6inch mini snowfalls and ice. Is this car feasible to drive in the winter for 5 months or so? I can stud the winter tires to make them grip more. I will need a family car and for the price, its not that much more than a Malibu or Ford Fusion i was looking at loaded.

I have my camaro obviously but i store that car. I think the G8 is heavier and has much better weight distribution and with dedicated studded winter tires, i just want to know if i can get by.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Teching In

guy from my Michigan grand prix club has one and runs studless in winter no problem
Old 06-13-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

how is that winter comparable to montreal? We get a lot of nuisance snow like tiny snowfalls and occasionally get a ft snowfall, but a lot of freezing rain. I know michigan tends to get heavy snow due to the lakes.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Last few have been insane, last winter set an all time record I believe for MI. We get a lot of lake effect, which most often then turns to ice... Now that I think of it I might as well be a Canadian.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really like the car and for the money, nothing really comes close. It will be the wifes cars since right now she only works like 1 mile away from where we live and has a small parking lot and for me i would use her vw jetta since i travel around in the city where its more treacherous driving/hills etc.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Teching In

I'm in the process of trading in my grand prix gxp for one and I'll drive it all winter without thinking twice about it. I say go for it, great car for great prices lately. Just get a good set of snows and let traction control do the rest
Old 06-13-2009, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

I drove mine in the Winter with GY F1 All Seasons and it was pretty decent. Snow tires would have made it even better. The Traction Control is good on this car in the snow, that plus good tires and it always felt under control.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VenomGXP
guy from my Michigan grand prix club has one and runs studless in winter no problem
lol that's me!
bought it november 22nd, beautiful day on the 23rd, snow on the ground from the 24th through april. the car handled incredibly well. the stability control coupled with the snow tires led to absolutely no fishtailing or sliding whatsoever. we put over 6000 miles on it with snow on the ground and i didn't end up in a ditch!

rims were 17" pulse (smallest you can put on our cars). tires were 225 width. you want to go with a smaller width tire for the winter so you cut a smaller path in the snow. it also concentrates the vehicle's weight in a smaller area.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oneslowgreengt
lol that's me!
bought it november 22nd, beautiful day on the 23rd, snow on the ground from the 24th through april. the car handled incredibly well. the stability control coupled with the snow tires led to absolutely no fishtailing or sliding whatsoever. we put over 6000 miles on it with snow on the ground and i didn't end up in a ditch!

rims were 17" pulse (smallest you can put on our cars). tires were 225 width. you want to go with a smaller width tire for the winter so you cut a smaller path in the snow. it also concentrates the vehicle's weight in a smaller area.
Dang too bad I am screwed out of using those with the Brembo brakes!

Where did you get the stripe package?!? I love it.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Teching In

stripes were a custom application by my dealer and i haven't seen another that measures up quality wise yet.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Do it with 4 snows. I did it last winter (stock) and it was fine except for the occasional plowing of deep snow with the low front.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

So 17's fit over the front brakes? I was thinking about 18's but if those work, I can go even cheaper!!! What snow tires are you all running? I was thinking Blizzaks cuz that was the only one in the stock 19 size but they are $245/tire.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SLPGTP
So 17's fit over the front brakes? I was thinking about 18's but if those work, I can go even cheaper!!! What snow tires are you all running? I was thinking Blizzaks cuz that was the only one in the stock 19 size but they are $245/tire.
I did it with Blizzak LM-25 on 18s, but I have found out that some have used 17s all the way around and they fit. The details are on the G8 specific boards.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Teching In

cooper weathermasters. no problems or complaints from me.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johnh
I drove mine in the Winter with GY F1 All Seasons and it was pretty decent. Snow tires would have made it even better. The Traction Control is good on this car in the snow, that plus good tires and it always felt under control.
Good to know!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please stick to the top few rated: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C

If you must go A/S, please don't go for anything other than Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. I had the Bridgestone RE960AS, which are #2 in their group, but it's not nearly as highly rated in snow. They were not so great. I did see a test in Tirerack's print magazine that put the RE960AS up against some snow tires, though, and they did beat some cheap snow tires. That said, I'd feel much more comfortable with GOOD snow tires.

Quick Reply: Need some advice. Anyone Winter drive their G8?