Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Ready to burn this car to the ground

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012 | 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 02-17-2012 | 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol wow, I'm speechless. You need to call GM customer service and DEMAND something be done at a DIFFERENT dealership and demand a rental car until they get this straightened out. Holy hackjobs, the whole damn service department has to be hacks. You need to get pissed and call CS and go the **** on them, that's bullshit.
Old 02-17-2012 | 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 91sonomast
lol wow, I'm speechless. You need to call GM customer service and DEMAND something be done at a DIFFERENT dealership and demand a rental car until they get this straightened out. Holy hackjobs, the whole damn service department has to be hacks. You need to get pissed and call CS and go the **** on them, that's bullshit.
at this point I just want another car
Old 02-17-2012 | 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Get a lawyer. Some of these issues are safety concerns, or were. On top of all that the fact that they are not disclosing information to you is very shady and makes them very liable. Get a lawyer and get a BRAND NEW CAR. I hate to see a dealership do this to some one.
Old 02-18-2012 | 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Unless you authorized them to replace with non-factory parts... no dice.

You wouldn't have had the extra pup cats on your GT btw... 9L1 VIN. The 2009.5 models (9L3 VIN) have the extra pup cats.
Old 02-19-2012 | 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

I also purchased mine "Certified Used" at 19k on the clock in 2010. So far I have had the dealer fix or replace.....

AC Compressor
New Steering Wheel
Misc interior trim pieces that broke
3 Door Actuators
Strut Mount Bushings

The rotors warped around 46k so I replaced with slotted / dimpled. Dropping it off this week to have both motor mounts replaced. The driver side mount is shot. I don't see why as this is not a high HP car and I hardly ever go full throttle. Hopefully that will take car of the total car vibration at highway speeds. I am at my limit with this car but really can't decide if I want to get rid of it for a 5.0 or Camaro.
Old 02-19-2012 | 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fyi a dealer removing cats al together is a 10k fine per cat where i live... you have them by the ***** now man
Old 02-19-2012 | 02:13 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Tainted, I'm sorry to see you going through this as it must be incredibly stressful and disappointing. However, I can't wait to see how this plays out
Old 02-19-2012 | 03:34 PM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

From what I see, they didn't delete any cats but just that resonator, probably because the chunk of honeycomb was bouncing around in there. I wouldn't worry about missing that thing. Did they weld in an x-pipe? From the pics it just looked like straight pipe. If they installed an x-pipe I would thank them for enhancing my exhaust flow and be down the road.

Last edited by RevGTO; 02-19-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2012 | 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, the dealer DIDNT do any of that work I posted pics of. They replaced the right side cat converter, and upon inspecting their work, found all this exhaust work by the previous owner.
Old 02-19-2012 | 05:50 PM
9 Second Club

Sounds to me like they've pretty much taken care of everything. You WANT more mufflers?
Old 02-19-2012 | 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Sounds to me like they've pretty much taken care of everything. You WANT more mufflers?
No, but it scares me that in the 19k miles of this cars life the previous owner has added a cai, and now exhaust work, and we will see what else we find. Signs of a car thats been beaten on...and this was a certified preowned...
Old 02-19-2012 | 06:27 PM
9 Second Club

The exhaust work is minimal, likely he just wanted a better sound than the factory provided; most of us did. CAI is not much either. I could be wrong but I think you might be overly concerned over these 2 things. Sounds like the issues that were really problem are fixed.

My car has 22K miles, you'd be amazed at the things I've changed....
Old 02-19-2012 | 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

76K here cai tune and x pipe back 2.5" exhaust no mufflers two dynomax bullets No issuse
Old 02-20-2012 | 09:46 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

You guys are missing the point: Tainted is essentially tired of the car's continuous issues. He purchased it GM CPO - which it should not have been certified with the modifications.

The modifications (maybe even some unknown hacking) may or may not be responsible for the constant concerns. I believe Tainted even mentioned he'd like to modify it anyway, but in the meantime, he's trying to enjoy the vehicle the way it was to have been received from the factory -- which he is unable to do.
Old 02-20-2012 | 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by demonspeed
You guys are missing the point: Tainted is essentially tired of the car's continuous issues. He purchased it GM CPO - which it should not have been certified with the modifications.

The modifications (maybe even some unknown hacking) may or may not be responsible for the constant concerns. I believe Tainted even mentioned he'd like to modify it anyway, but in the meantime, he's trying to enjoy the vehicle the way it was to have been received from the factory -- which he is unable to do.
Exactly!! Still waiting to hear back from the dealer today too....
Old 02-20-2012 | 09:33 PM
Teching In

I sure hate to hear all the problems. I bought my wife a g8 last year and have had no problems. I am a service tech at a dealership and I sure wish I could have gotten my hands on your car. No doubt would have fixed you up. Car is still well into warranty there really is no reason not to "over" fix the car!
Old 02-20-2012 | 11:11 PM
Pontiacerator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Good point. The car essentially was misrepresented and he should be able to get his money back as he was in effect defrauded.

On the other hand, if some of the problems are known issues occasioning factory TSB's, and those are taken care of, if the previous owner's interior hacking has been satisfactorily corrected, personally I wouldn't quibble about a CAI and an x-pipe - unless I was concerned about factory original for collector car purposes. But that's just me.
Old 02-21-2012 | 09:05 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by RevGTO
On the other hand, if some of the problems are known issues occasioning factory TSB's, and those are taken care of, if the previous owner's interior hacking has been satisfactorily corrected, personally I wouldn't quibble about a CAI and an x-pipe - unless I was concerned about factory original for collector car purposes. But that's just me.
I agree, however, I'd presume the novelty of the car has been significantly eroded by the experience thus far.
Old 02-21-2012 | 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

We like the G8, it seems much better built then previous gm cars, and you cant argue with the drivetrain. What we can argue is for $26,000 this car is a certified pos thats been rode hard, and put up wet, and lots of problems that we are STILL fixing and still finding!

Quick Reply: Ready to burn this car to the ground