Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Ready to burn this car to the ground

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
If they didn't want to support the vehicle they should of sold it "AS IS" instead of CPO. It is that easy. The dealership didn't look into the vehicle when it was under their possession and honestly their laziness and negligence is their problem. They should stand by the vehicle and fix anything operationally/legally wrong with it. Minor stuff excluded of course.

I hate businesses like this. I hate it when you pay for an oil change and they jack up the price because they "performed a xxx point inspection" and you know deep inside they didn't look at your car for a second. Really they give less than two *****.

So many times I've brought my G8 into the dealer and they told me to buzz off or didn't look into the issue much but kept my car for hours and hours while I waited. So many times stuff like paying for 4 wheel alignment and they only give you two wheel. Glad there are people like Tainted that care enough to make their ordeals public so we know which guys to avoid.
You are right, they clearly should have checked it out better if they planned to sell it as certified. Still seems to me that, other than the exhaust, they've been pretty responsive to his concerns.

Waiting is part of the game when getting serviced, anywhere. The fact that you have an 8:00 appointment doesn't mean they start on your car at 8, it means they check you in at 8. Which one of the cars already being worked on should they kick out so you won't be inconvenienced?

If you're being charged for 4 wheel and getting 2 wheel, that's just plain theft. You need a new dealer.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tainted
Dealer checked the PCM before and said it was stock. If there are any local G8 folks, would anyone be willing to meet us to compare shifting and maybe back it up with a short recorded video of the shift smoothness between the cars?

Also, we really dont *want* another car. We bought a G8 because we liked it. I just hate we got a shitty one. In reality, we are probably going to keep the car because regardless we have a 100k warranty on the powertrain so we are covered. But we will see how things continue to play out, and what breanna with GM has to say.
If the TCM (PCM/ECM is the engine, TCM is the trans) calibration is stock then you just got lucky and got one that shifts decently; most don't. Ask around.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:48 PM
9 Second Club

OP, what issues do you still have with the car please?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Waiting is part of the game when getting serviced, anywhere. The fact that you have an 8:00 appointment doesn't mean they start on your car at 8, it means they check you in at 8. Which one of the cars already being worked on should they kick out so you won't be inconvenienced?
I'd avoid those who do not consider the appointment time the actual start time (no disrespect meant to you; this usually happens in small shops).

A "good" dealer/service department will ask if you are waiting or dropping off when scheduling your service. This is especially important for come-backs. Unless there is some sort of emergency in the shop, 10:00 means 10:00. Tech's should be working on "drops" until a "waiter" arrives. That doesn't mean to stop working on a drop at the scheduled waiter time; rather, the tech keeps working on the drop until the waiter shows up. If a waiter is late, then it's best to reschedule unless there are no other waiter appointments scheduled.

"Under promise - Over deliver"

I THINK you are wrong about the cats; one of us is

Hell yea, it's the Net, we're all capable of most anything
Here's the post which states (and clearly shows) the lack of converters:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15977674-post40.html
Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
9 Second Club

Waiters do get priority but at some point waiters conflict with each other. At my shop we're probably 75% waiters (older population combined with folks who know waiters get priority). Really, EVERYONE is a waiter, some wait here, others wait elsewhere. We, and most other dealers that I know of, simply don't have enough techs to do it the way you suggest. I like it but don't see it as realistic.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Here's the post which states (and clearly shows) the lack of converters:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/15977674-post40.html
Nope, G8s only have 2 cats. What he is missing are commonly called mid-mufflers. I believe someone pointed this out a few posts beyond that one (or it could have been on the other forum where he has CC'd most of his posts from here).
Old 02-22-2012, 08:11 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Waiters do get priority but at some point waiters conflict with each other. At my shop we're probably 75% waiters (older population combined with folks who know waiters get priority). Really, EVERYONE is a waiter, some wait here, others wait elsewhere. We, and most other dealers that I know of, simply don't have enough techs to do it the way you suggest. I like it but don't see it as realistic.
I completely understand what you're saying. I suppose I should specify that I'm thinking on more simplistic terms -- general maintenance, diagnosis, etc. A service writer should have enough sense not to schedule a waiter for a heater core at 3:00pm, whereas an oil change & rotate waiter should be out in 30 minutes (larger operations have separate techs & bays to handle routine stuff, anyway). However, like I had mentioned previously, smaller shops seem unable to handle such a routine with consistency and efficiency.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Nope, G8s only have 2 cats. What he is missing are commonly called mid-mufflers. I believe someone pointed this out a few posts beyond that one (or it could have been on the other forum where he has CC'd most of his posts from here).
OK, so I'm guessing the cats are directly off of the manifolds? Are these mid-mufflers essentially a bullet-style muffler? It seems like an awful lot of "muffling" happening, but I suppose that's the help with the noise DOD makes.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:17 PM
9 Second Club

I completely understand what you're saying. I suppose I should specify that I'm thinking on more simplistic terms -- general maintenance, diagnosis, etc. A service writer should have enough sense not to schedule a waiter for a heater core at 3:00pm, whereas an oil change & rotate waiter should be out in 30 minutes (larger operations have separate techs & bays to handle routine stuff, anyway). However, like I had mentioned previously, smaller shops seem unable to handle such a routine with consistency and efficiency.
No doubt writers have to schedule intelligently. 30 minutes is about right for oil change/ rotate. What about the customers who schedule for oil change/rotate and then come up with the dreaded 'while its here...'? There's quite a few of those you know.

I get the feeling you might be, or have been, a writer yourself since you know a good deal about the process. A dealer in Pitt might be a bit different than one in rural WV?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 PM
9 Second Club

OK, so I'm guessing the cats are directly off of the manifolds? Are these mid-mufflers essentially a bullet-style muffler? It seems like an awful lot of "muffling" happening, but I suppose that's the help with the noise DOD makes.
Correct. The cars, as delivered, are whisper quiet. You can literally stand next to one and not be able to tell if its running unless the area is dead quiet.

To illustrate, look here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-g...er-system.html
Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I get the feeling you might be, or have been, a writer yourself since you know a good deal about the process. A dealer in Pitt might be a bit different than one in rural WV?
In my "past life" I worked for Chevrolet and Saturn behind the parts counter. I was intimately familiar with the processes and had great relationships with the techs and writers. It also helped that I worked for Greg Sutliff who was one of the original dealer "founders" of Saturn and their customer-focused leadership. I love cars and living by the "golden rule," so that's why I'm passionate about fixed ops.

What I have described in the preceding posts were exactly how things worked in our facility. It has almost become a curse, however, because I have such high standards -- I saw success and satisfaction every day, and I know what service professionals are capable of.

Yes, metro areas are certainly different than rural areas, but treating people courteously, promptly, and ethically transcends boarders. When I see stuff like Tainted is experiencing, I always feel as though things could be helped (and perhaps avoided) if everyone just did "the right thing."

Last edited by demonspeed; 02-22-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 PM
9 Second Club

I think we just differ a bit in our perceptions of what he is experiencing.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea we thought the resonators or "pup cats" were true cats which arent. I was corrected on that part.

Problems still:
The slight pull or drift, which we will just buy some tires here soon and hopefully that will end it
The exhaust, we'll see how it goes on this one
Not yet a 'problem' per say but since driving the other car, should our tranny have a nice smooth flow like it did? Or is the firm shift in ours a good thing? Under more throttle id say the firmness would be good, but what about normal driving conditions?

Fwiw when I said pcm I did in general mean both computers tcm and pcm. We had that checked when we had the noise and vibration and was afraid it could be the tranny. Thankfully that tech said it was all good from what he could tell.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I'd be happy that my car had a firmer shift ...
Old 02-22-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any local g8 guys care to chime in on how smooth theirs shifts?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I had a 08 G8 GT and have an 09 GXP automatic now. Both of which I purchased brand new. Neither modified in any way. Both of which shift smoothly, if slightly dull. Both have low to moderate exhaust drone at highway speed, was slightly more pronounced in the GT when the cylinders were deactivated. Both (along with my 06 GTO I bought new) never stayed perfectly aligned. All of them had to be realigned at the dealer under warranty more than once. My GXP is wandering to the right again now so I have to take it in to be corrected while it still has warranty.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ours shifts with a firm, not exactly 'snap' motion, not smooth and flowing like the others. Is this something that should concern us now?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

It's too bad these cars don't have sticks otherwise I'd advise you to check the fluid and see what it looks like. Have the dealer check it and see. I doubt it's something to really worry about.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

I guess we will watch it like a hawk and see if anything more happens with it.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:18 PM
9 Second Club

I would ask them to verify fluid level is correct. Its a pain in the *** to check without a lift.

Quick Reply: Ready to burn this car to the ground