Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Ready to burn this car to the ground

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well talked to gm again today.

Not only has the general manager not called me back, but havent returned any of GMs calls either!! Tomorrow we will know more...
Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove mine to work today, shifts are very smooth and not noticable. It didn't pull the right either, must be the roads.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

mine shifted like butter until i turned the torque management off, now its snappy. how does it feel under wot when it shifts into the next gear? with TM on under wot it shifted kinda lazy, with TM off under wot it feels like it jumps out of its skin when shifting (much improved). hope that helps
Old 02-23-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the tcm tune is supposed to be stock. Our shifts are quite snappy even under light throttle. I wouldnt say anything near harsh, but def not as smooth as the other g8, and not as smooth as how everyone else is describing theirs.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well heres an update!

GM called back, and we have an phone confrence for tuesday. Faxing over all our papers, especially the CPO papers because GM is PISSED!

BOTH GM people have tried contacting Stoops, who STILL has not replyed to any of our calls!! This makes a WEEK now that they have not returned anything!

Great going Stoops! continue to dig your grave for us!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wreckwriter
Well, at the risk of some disagreeing with me.... I'm actually surprised at how much support you've gotten in this thread on a performance oriented board like this.

Yea, negative publicity is always bad but some may see your complaints as leaning towards whining, maybe even a bit of buyer's remorse (which usually occurs when one reevaluates one's monthly payment..

Seems to me, and I might be a tad prejudiced since I do work at a dealer and own a modified G8, that they really have bent over backwards. It would cost them a bunch to replace the exhaust system which is really only mildly modified, to basically no purpose other than to get you to go away. It would seem that all your real complaints have been pretty much taken care of. If it pulls a bit but is aligned to specs, should they buy you new tires too? You are aware that roads are slanted rather than flat, yes?

As far as getting something more actually done, the guy you need to talk to is the used car manager. If the service manager does anything, that's who will be paying the bill so that's who is saying yay or nay to your requests, not the service manager.
I spent 5 years in dealerships and me and you wouldn't see eye to eye. Granted the dealership has addressed his concerns, they fixed his steering and frontend but not without him having to put up some what of a fight. And this whole exhaust thing.....yes they "fixed" it, but not right. I'll admit, I'm spoiled, in the Cadillac world, if you needed it you got it, they asked you one time, "are you sure that's the problem?" And it was done, the GM telling a customer he will do nothing more? HAHAHAHA the GM would have been packing his desk 10 minutes later, and that hack *** weld job under the car, like I said before, someone would have got their *** REAMED for CPO'ing that car in that condition. That is not a CPO worthy car by any stretch of the imagination, possibly if it had been fixed properly.
Now in regards to Tainted having "buyer's remorse", I think he has buyer's remorse over this particular car not in general. When you're a dealership and you sell a customer a car and talk the big **** how ******* great and perfect and CPO'd the car is, you better be prepared to back it up. Then when the customer comes back with legitimate problems, you fix them. Now at this point Tainted is being picky about this car but not without merit, I'd be the same way, once you realize the car is a beat up car, you want it perfect and I would too. It would be far easier for the dealership to unbolt the "mildly modified" exhaust and order a new one, replace it, make him happy(for a CPO car the exhaust is not supposed to have ANY modification, I think wreckwriter might need to brush up on his GM standards, he seems to be lacking the understanding of what GM calls for in a CPO, it's not that complicated). That's all they have to do, it's not that hard or expensive. But yes, I would be **** as **** about the car too if I was Tainted, I'd want every little thing fixed, it is after all a CPO car that was supposedly the best of the best.
Even as a technician I'd support Tainted, all they have to do is quit being ******* douche bags and fix the car one time, fix it all right and he'd be happy. After that if there were problems you can make a decision from there, but if I was the owner of this car, that car would be at the dealer for ANY little sidestep the car made after seeing and realizing it was someone's flogging post.
Prime example, we had a '06 CTS-V come in, car was well taken care of but the previous owner had brought it in before, it HAD a Magnaflow cat back exhaust and some sort of rear subframe spacers when he owned but had taken it all off. When I got it I noticed the strut bar had been modified, the 3rd member had an aftermarket support, and there were time slips from Gainesville in the center console. I wouldn't CPO the car, I told them I wasn't putting my name on that piece of paper come hell or high water. They got the hack tech to sign off on it instead, that car ended up being about like Tainted's situation except my service manager and general manager didn't know about the whole shady CPO situation. I had made a copy of my paperwork that I filled out, I gave it to the service manager and told him what had happened, that car was at our shop for 2 weeks getting fixed, every single little thing got replaced that the customer wanted and he was satisified finally, but it was a 2 month ordeal, and the tech who signed his name to the CPO sheet, got to do it ALL for warranty labor lol, sucks for him, he didn't do that **** no more.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 91sonomast
I spent 5 years in dealerships and me and you wouldn't see eye to eye. Granted the dealership has addressed his concerns, they fixed his steering and frontend but not without him having to put up some what of a fight. And this whole exhaust thing.....yes they "fixed" it, but not right. I'll admit, I'm spoiled, in the Cadillac world, if you needed it you got it, they asked you one time, "are you sure that's the problem?" And it was done, the GM telling a customer he will do nothing more? HAHAHAHA the GM would have been packing his desk 10 minutes later, and that hack *** weld job under the car, like I said before, someone would have got their *** REAMED for CPO'ing that car in that condition. That is not a CPO worthy car by any stretch of the imagination, possibly if it had been fixed properly.
Now in regards to Tainted having "buyer's remorse", I think he has buyer's remorse over this particular car not in general. When you're a dealership and you sell a customer a car and talk the big **** how ******* great and perfect and CPO'd the car is, you better be prepared to back it up. Then when the customer comes back with legitimate problems, you fix them. Now at this point Tainted is being picky about this car but not without merit, I'd be the same way, once you realize the car is a beat up car, you want it perfect and I would too. It would be far easier for the dealership to unbolt the "mildly modified" exhaust and order a new one, replace it, make him happy(for a CPO car the exhaust is not supposed to have ANY modification, I think wreckwriter might need to brush up on his GM standards, he seems to be lacking the understanding of what GM calls for in a CPO, it's not that complicated). That's all they have to do, it's not that hard or expensive. But yes, I would be **** as **** about the car too if I was Tainted, I'd want every little thing fixed, it is after all a CPO car that was supposedly the best of the best.
Even as a technician I'd support Tainted, all they have to do is quit being ******* douche bags and fix the car one time, fix it all right and he'd be happy. After that if there were problems you can make a decision from there, but if I was the owner of this car, that car would be at the dealer for ANY little sidestep the car made after seeing and realizing it was someone's flogging post.
Prime example, we had a '06 CTS-V come in, car was well taken care of but the previous owner had brought it in before, it HAD a Magnaflow cat back exhaust and some sort of rear subframe spacers when he owned but had taken it all off. When I got it I noticed the strut bar had been modified, the 3rd member had an aftermarket support, and there were time slips from Gainesville in the center console. I wouldn't CPO the car, I told them I wasn't putting my name on that piece of paper come hell or high water. They got the hack tech to sign off on it instead, that car ended up being about like Tainted's situation except my service manager and general manager didn't know about the whole shady CPO situation. I had made a copy of my paperwork that I filled out, I gave it to the service manager and told him what had happened, that car was at our shop for 2 weeks getting fixed, every single little thing got replaced that the customer wanted and he was satisified finally, but it was a 2 month ordeal, and the tech who signed his name to the CPO sheet, got to do it ALL for warranty labor lol, sucks for him, he didn't do that **** no more.
Well said, Im sure this is one of the reasons GM is pissed and dealing with Stoops accordingly it seems.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea that is quite an insightful reply!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:26 PM
9 Second Club

I sure ended up coming off looking like the ******* here. Wasn't my intention but I was trying to look at things from the dealer's side. They HAVE fixed most of his issues but they're resisting buying a whole new exhaust which will probably eat up a good chunk of their profit. Clearly the OP will not be satisfied until they do; maybe in the end they will.

I don't really know what is involved in a car being CPO, never dealt with it nor ever worked at a GM dealer. Clearly though, they didn't inspect it properly because some of the issues wouldn't have made it past a decent regular used car inspection. I wouldn't have thought they would have made it past a test drive and a reasonable careful inspection by a potential buyer either but clearly they did.

Tainted, I really do hope you end up satisfied. I hope GM really is trying to help you and not just telling you one thing and telling the dealer another. Good luck with it.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont think youre an *******, and I can definetly understand looking at it from the dealers perspective as well. Theres always two sides to a story. they felt they went above and beyond and that the car was cpo material, and we think theyre full of **** lol!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 AM
Staging Lane

this is fucked up. the only gm dealership around me worth dealing with is one of the biggest known for having the most corvettes in the state. most around here are shady and their techs couldnt even work at jiffy lube. and for him to say the hole pulling to the right is the roads... i dd a 92 century beat to ****. it goes perfectly straight. good luck and keep us updated.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well talked with GM today

While they were sympathetic of our purchase, they said they couldn't do anything about the exhuast, but a complaint is filed for Stoops and that whole bag of bullshit, and GM aint to happy about the whole deal either.

Probably going to just end up buying a set of longtubes and X pipe here in the next couple months. Car will still have plenty of warranty and such, so we will enjoy what we got. Oh and going to get some tires soon too!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tainted

While they were sympathetic of our purchase, they said they couldn't do anything about the exhuast, but a complaint is filed for Stoops and that whole bag of bullshit, and GM aint to happy about the whole deal either.

Probably going to just end up buying a set of longtubes and X pipe here in the next couple months. Car will still have plenty of warranty and such, so we will enjoy what we got. Oh and going to get some tires soon too!
Glad you decided to keep it man, it will sound great with the new exhaust
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea the next big thing will be a stall and DOD delete.

that all can wait for another 1.5 yr till the warranty is up though
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Somebody may have mentioned this, as I did not read all the way through the post, but their was a recall on G8 GT lifters, free fix...
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

yea the next big thing will be a stall and DOD delete.

that all can wait for another 1.5 yr till the warranty is up though
Nice, wish I had gotten that far with mine, damn I miss that car.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to read about all of your issues, because i love my g8. However, I gotta ask, were you intending on modding the exhaust anyways or just waiting to see if they would fix w/e it is you didnt like? As far as your tranny shifting issues, sounds to me that the first owner had some TCM tuning done and the dealership tech is bullshitting you on "checking" the programming...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by tyler99
Somebody may have mentioned this, as I did not read all the way through the post, but their was a recall on G8 GT lifters, free fix...
Negative. TSB maybe, no recall.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll bet your car has a shift kit, as you describe it (with a stock tune). Is it worth pulling the accumulator to find out? Maybe not, but checking the springs would be the only way to know.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the problem with the way the exhaust is its not matching material, and the drone of dod isnt the best sound. Its not a huge problem, but considering that it wasnt disclosed on a CPO car that the exhaust had been modified is a real stickler. Apparently by what gm says we could pursue that, but on our own.

Id like to drive or ride in a few other g8s to determine our tranny. Maybe ours is firm and smooth, or stiff and modified. But that other one really seemed just seamless. The car hardly even moved or noticed the shifts in it.

Anyone local that has the tools to check my TCM for us to see if it is stock? Thatd be great to know!

Quick Reply: Ready to burn this car to the ground