Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

I'm driving a G8 GT next week!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm driving a G8 GT next week!!!!

I work for GM and they are sending me to St. Louis for the G8 launch and we'll get to drive the GT and its competitors, along with the Lucerne and LaCrosse Super series!

if anyone has any questions or something you want me to check out for you, let me know! I'm gonna try to sneak some pics too.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. Is it as ugly in person as it is in the pics?

2. How does that 4100lbs feel? Really feel like it holds it back?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Default pic request...

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
I work for GM and they are sending me to St. Louis for the G8 launch and we'll get to drive the GT and its competitors, along with the Lucerne and LaCrosse Super series!

if anyone has any questions or something you want me to check out for you, let me know! I'm gonna try to sneak some pics too.
From the "Getting To Know Your G8" booklet:

'The current gear is shown in the Driver
Information Center while the transmission
is in the Sport shift mode.'

I'd really like a picture of that display mode -
1 - To judge the size & ease
of readability when manually shifting the automatic.
And.
2 - To see what else is displayed when that gear is on the DIC...
Thanks,
- Ray
Spoiled by a DIC + HUD...
Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

When will they be avalible??
Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

4100 isn't really that much compared to the 3725 that the GTO is. I know its a little over 300 pounds, but for the difference in size, I think the weight isn't too bad...I mean, damn, its Bonneville sized!

I know we are all entitled to our opinions, but this thing is far from ugly. Is it a Vette or WS6, no....does it look better than a Grand Prix, Charger, Impala.....YES!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

I would like to know how crisp the tranny shifts are from the factory.

I drove an SRT8 charger and was impressed at how the second you eased into the throttle, the tranny kicked down immediatly with an instant shift- and upshifts were just as nice.

I also rented an 07' vette for a week- the shifts were good, but not as crisp as the SRT.

So if you can give us some kind of comparison I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Default shifts

Originally Posted by nrmustang
I would like to know how crisp the tranny shifts are from the factory.

I drove an SRT8 charger and was impressed at how the second you eased into the throttle, the tranny kicked down immediatly with an instant shift- and upshifts were just as nice.

I also rented an 07' vette for a week- the shifts were good, but not as crisp as the SRT.

So if you can give us some kind of comparison I'd appreciate it.
My Daily Driver is a 2007 Corvette.
I also am ** VERY ** curious about the speed of execution & quickness of response to manumatic-commanded up & down shifts.

My understanding is that for 2008 the Corvette version of the 6L80 trans. received substantial changes that upgrade this functionality.

I am ** HOPING ** that the G8 GT will be better than my Corvette, in this respect. . .
- Ray
Never driving in any mode but manumatic – so do not care about throttle induced ‘kickdown’ in full automatic mode . . .
Old 02-27-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I seen this at a local car show, i really liked the looks of it in person. not as much as i liked the camaro... but still, definitly something i would drive.

i just want to hear your opinions of the car compared to the GTO and Z28 in your sig... i dont know if u owned then stock, but if so i'd just like hear how you feel it compares, performance wise.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, I will certainly try to take as many photos as possible, as well as give some detailed description to how it drives, handles, feels....whatever.

98_Formula: I did own both cars stock....the GTO is still stock, while the Z28 is not. But I honestly feel more at home in the F body interior, even though the GTO is much more driver oriented, I hate the GTO's steering wheel positions and feel like I am sitting on it, rather than in it. The F body interior feels more like a cockpit to me, where everything is right in reach and feels like it is built around the driver.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
I seen this at a local car show, i really liked the looks of it in person. not as much as i liked the camaro... but still, definitly something i would drive.

i just want to hear your opinions of the car compared to the GTO and Z28 in your sig... i dont know if u owned then stock, but if so i'd just like hear how you feel it compares, performance wise.
I sat in new G8 at auto show in louisville KY over weekend

but i also sat in 2008 Z06
Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Launching!

If you could have somebody videotape you doing a nice driveby would be nice
Old 03-01-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was very impressed by the roominess. It's one of the very few cars I got into that if I put the seat all the way back, I couldn't drive it comfortably. Plenty of leg room and I think it will do well.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cpd004
I was very impressed by the roominess. It's one of the very few cars I got into that if I put the seat all the way back, I couldn't drive it comfortably. Plenty of leg room and I think it will do well.
I completely agree with you. When I sat in it, I felt the same way. Even the back seats were very comfortable and had a lot of leg room.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok, so here's the scoop....GM wouldn't let me take video or pics of the cars we drove, because they were pre-production cars. I was able to sneak a few of the production cars that were in the hotel, but the lighting sucked, so they aren't that great.

As far as the drive, this car is freakin impressive! Handling is spot on, even better than the GTO, absolutely zero body roll. Road noise is slightly noticeable, but not obnoxious. The L76 6.0 screams and has a flat torque curve, but its harnessed well through the chassis. No clunks, harsh sounds or anything under accelration. Limited slip really helps on the launches, and its got a nice squat when you brake torque on the launch. Hood scoops are functional, but not routed to the airbox...exhaust note is similar to the LS2 GTO's with a little less "burble"

Interior comfort was very nice, steering wheel placement was great, very supportive seats and side bolsters. Two tone interior is subtle, but draws attention to the right areas. My only two complaints on the interior are these...the heated seat controls are a bitch to get to (directly infront of shifter) and you can't see the indicators for them during the day (poor lighting) Also, even with the 6 way seats, the recliner adjuster is a manual turn **** (kinda cheap if you ask me)

Shifting is smooth and typical GM when in regular Drive...move the shifter over and it goes into Sport Automatic mode, where shift points are held higher and shifts are firm and quick. Touch down or up on the shifter, and it goes into Clutchless manual mode, which provided very firm shifts and delay between your input and the shift was minimal (unlike most of the previous cars)

Rear seat was comfy and roomy, plenty of head room. Massive trunk (and yes, the battery is already back there) Tail lights, spoiler, exhaust outlets are very well integrated and give a clean, BMW look. XM radio will be available late August on the 09's, not available on the 2008.

finally...all of the exterior colors looked great, except the Ignition Orange, which is a pearl-ish, hazy orange...nothing like SOM. The Stealth Blue color will not be available due to a purple-ish hue. I was told 18 were built in Stealth Blue and no more will be (collector item?)
Old 03-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Default thanks...

Thanks for posting your impressions.
Still no G8 GTs at any Dealer near me...
- Ray
On the hunt...
Old 03-08-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

We've got 2 loaded red GT's on the way!
Old 03-09-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so what didn't you like?
Old 03-09-2008, 04:40 PM
STF Veteran

I have been SERIOUSLY considering getting a G8 for the last few days. Based on what I've read I think I'm going to wait until 09 though. There are a few options that I want that aren't on the 08. I want to know if anyone has more detail on the upcoming options for 09. Here are my questions:

1. Are there going to be more than 2 interior options? I'm referring to leather.(black and black with red inserts)

2. Will there be an entertainment package or a rear DVD? (I have a 3 year old)

3. Will there be navigation offered? This isn't too important but I might as well ask.

4. Based on turbowhistle86's impressions of his test drive, do you think they'll consider reworking the interior accessories locations like the window controls and the heated seat controls? I think it's pretty bad placement to put the window controls in such a likely drink spill/slosh area. I've also read that the data screen in the top center of the dash looks pretty "Atari-ish", is that being reconsidered?

I know I'm being nit picky but I have been waiting on a car like this since the (rear wheel drive) Impalas came and went and I don't really want to buy European or Asian right now. Plus the 6.0 liter has a ton of potential.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
I have been SERIOUSLY considering getting a G8 for the last few days. Based on what I've read I think I'm going to wait until 09 though. There are a few options that I want that aren't on the 08. I want to know if anyone has more detail on the upcoming options for 09. Here are my questions:

1. Are there going to be more than 2 interior options? I'm referring to leather.(black and black with red inserts)

2. Will there be an entertainment package or a rear DVD? (I have a 3 year old)

3. Will there be navigation offered? This isn't too important but I might as well ask.

4. Based on turbowhistle86's impressions of his test drive, do you think they'll consider reworking the interior accessories locations like the window controls and the heated seat controls? I think it's pretty bad placement to put the window controls in such a likely drink spill/slosh area. I've also read that the data screen in the top center of the dash looks pretty "Atari-ish", is that being reconsidered?

I know I'm being nit picky but I have been waiting on a car like this since the (rear wheel drive) Impalas came and went and I don't really want to buy European or Asian right now. Plus the 6.0 liter has a ton of potential.
1. Can't be sure if the US will ever get the range of interiors the AUS cars get.

2. It would want to be optional, its a very common option on SSV's here

3. Same deal, its all available in the core hardware and only the receiver and a software flash are required to get it running.

4. Doubt it. Remember its been designed to be LHD and RHD. Why would Holden spend more money to add two different part variants when they can get away with one. Yes the Volt's/OIL Pressure gauge is pretty average looking. You could always buy the HSV 3 binacle gauges after market.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

not a chance with the reworking interior....as previously stated, the car has to be both right and left hand drive, therefore the window and mirror controls are on the center stack, to avoid having to use different parts.

NAV is also probably a stretch, mainly because they are working on getting OnStar with turn by turn directions in the cars first.

DVD systems are better off left to the aftermarket. Our best choices have been the Revolution 3 systems from Invision Industries out of Florida.

The interior color choices, and overall number of options for that matter, are limited because they don't want to have the same problem with shipping time, which we all saw with the GTO's. These cars are being pre-built, shipped to US ports, and left in storage. Dealers can then view the inventory that is currently on US soil, tag them if they choose, and they will be shipped out after they are tagged and confirmed. Buyers will not be able to "order" a car configured their way, they will have to pick from what is already built...but with the low number of options and high standard content levels, getting what you want won't be a problem.

Quick Reply: I'm driving a G8 GT next week!!!!