Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

What Mods Next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Mods Next?

I posted some threads on mods on another board and thought I'd throw it on here too.

First off, I am fairly new to GM gas engines. I have a DMax but never had a GM car that I bothered to mod. So I don't have a ton of knowledge on what is what. The whole LS1, LS2, LS3, L76 thing is really throwing me off. LOL I am hoping you guys can direct me to the right places to go for my next few mods.

I am wanting to do some more bolt on mods. I currently have axlebacks, H pipe and a tune. I plan on getting the roto CAI.

So where you guys go from here?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Headers are about all you have, but I dont know if you want to put headers on your car I dont know about your smog laws. I wouldnt bother with anything after that unless you wanted to do a cam, which would mean you have to take out the active fuel management which I am not sure if its a concern for you. After that is forced induction. Depends on the power you want to make. Generally a CAI, better flowing mufflers, headers and a tune is what you can do without any big modifications to most cars.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1 = Camaro engine from 95 - 2002, 5.7 litre V8. LS2 = GTO\Corvette 6.0 Litre. LS3 = Current 2008 Corvette 6.2 litre. L76 = transversely mounted or normal mounted LS"4", found in Chevrolet trucks and the FWD Monte Carlo and Impala SS's, along with the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. As to your personal mods, where to go next? I suggest a tune. Maybe headers when they come out, and definitly either a shift kit or a cat-delete. And some sticky tires. In response to the above poster, a new cam will HUGELY improve performance over stock, but as he said, you will lose your DoD. If this isn't a concern for you, this is fine. However, if it is, you cannot do a cam. Springs\rockers\rollers would be your next best without having to disable your DoD.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:29 AM
On The Tree

Uhhh isnt the name of the engine for the G8 GT an L76???
Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Teching In

I am not too concerned with losing the DoD.

I'd like to get all the small mods out of the way before I look at getting cams. It seems that I am going to have to get a lot of extra stuff to get the cams to run properly.

I was looking at underdrive pulleys but since the whole engine thing is confusing me I am not sure which kind to buy.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by dodson914
I am not too concerned with losing the DoD.

I'd like to get all the small mods out of the way before I look at getting cams. It seems that I am going to have to get a lot of extra stuff to get the cams to run properly.

I was looking at underdrive pulleys but since the whole engine thing is confusing me I am not sure which kind to buy.
Personally I would wait for more products to come out for the car before you go and jump on every new part that comes out. I would start with the bolt-ons and then move onto a CAM (not plural, only one cam).

It also depends on what your final goals are with the car. Do you want to make this thing an all out beast or something you drive everyday that can hold it's own?

For my car, I will wait to see what comes down the road and make decisions based on what works best and what works together. I do not want to buy parts twice.

Good luck!

-Brian
Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

There seems to be a little confusion on which car has which motor. I know it isn't the point of the thread but I just wanted to clear things up.

93' - 97' F-body - LT1
98' - 02' F-body - LS1
97' - 04' Corvette - LS1
01' - 04' Z06 - LS6
05' - 07' Corvette - LS2
06' - 08' Z06 - LS7
08' Corvette - LS3
04' GTO - LS1
05' - 06' GTO - LS2
08' G8 GT - L76
Old 04-21-2008, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dodson914
I posted some threads on mods on another board and thought I'd throw it on here too.

First off, I am fairly new to GM gas engines. I have a DMax but never had a GM car that I bothered to mod. So I don't have a ton of knowledge on what is what. The whole LS1, LS2, LS3, L76 thing is really throwing me off. LOL I am hoping you guys can direct me to the right places to go for my next few mods.

I am wanting to do some more bolt on mods. I currently have axlebacks, H pipe and a tune. I plan on getting the roto CAI.

So where you guys go from here?
Headers are comming out very soon from a sponsor on this board, I will be testing some cams to work with DOD with in 2 week's . This thing needs a stall converter bad . like 500-750rpm over stock.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

The CAI that roto fab is coming out with are really slick and you will deff like the sound of it.
I believe the that car is going to kooks for header in the next couple weeks.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2147

here is the post on g8 board about the cai. its probably the best i've seen yet.

Quick Reply: What Mods Next?