Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans
View Poll Results: Does an obnoxioius exhaust belong on the G8?
Yes - lets hear those pipes!
57.42%
No - keep the tone mellow.
42.58%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Does an Obnoxious Exhaust Belong on the G8?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The G8 deserves, or does not deserve a loud *** exhaust, given what it is used for.

If you are a corporate officer at a decent sized company, and often drive clients and potential customers around, then no.

If you want a fun to drive around, sports sedan, maybe as a daily driver, or something the family drives around for outings, theres no problem I see.

My Uncle recently bought a Charger R/T (over a G8 GT, despite my best efforts), and is not doing anything to it, mods or such, because it is a car that he does drive clients, and other people from his buisness around.

If GM is listening, the Charger's selling points was more comfortble, navigation, and blue tooth, he said.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Some of you may laugh, but I like the sound of 2-chamber flowmasters on G8s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5yDjcXjeI
Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Sounds good but I still prefer my ONE chamber!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the car needs a nice sounding exhaust. Nothing obnoxious, something along the lines of the sound of an SLP dual dual with no cats and longtubes on an F-Body. It deserves a nice rumble, but nothing too crazy.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

when i start mine i want people to think the world is comming to an end!! haha! i like the 2 chambered flowey sound.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by '02 Double U S-6
I beg to differ!! If I had a CTS-V mine would sound just like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrZJBMT8Sq4
i bet it scared the crap outta those guys walking
Old 12-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

I voted yes because I played with one a coupe weeks ago and every time he took off it sounded like a vaccum cleaner. It sounded terrible. I don't if that was the stock sound but it looked pretty stock to me. I thought it was going to have a more throaty, mean sounding exhaust, especially sinces it's a pontiac.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
That white one is perfect, no need for anything else. Sooo deep and mellow without being obnoxious
Old 12-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Banned

i say put a corsa on it. they r known for being quiet. until u really get into it. so u have the best of both worlds. i love mine on my ws6, i can still sneek out!!!!!!!!lol
Old 12-22-2008, 12:45 PM
SSU, come over and relax

I voted no...after having an LS1 with LT's and a cutout I absolutely love the quiet sound of my GT

I guess I just outgrew the whole have to have a loud car thing, especially if it is a car as nice as the G8...now when I drive my dad's 64 GTO with a 428 and all kinds of go fast goodies I want that thing to roar. With my dd, not so much.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:01 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU
I voted no...after having an LS1 with LT's and a cutout I absolutely love the quiet sound of my GT

I guess I just outgrew the whole have to have a loud car thing, especially if it is a car as nice as the G8...now when I drive my dad's 64 GTO with a 428 and all kinds of go fast goodies I want that thing to roar. With my dd, not so much.
That's how I feel. I'm done with loud cars. I will put electric cutouts on the GXP at some point but I don't want a stupid loud car all the time.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Nothing beats an lt catless corsa exhaust IMO, quiet when cruising, pure evil at WOT. Thats what Ive had on both my trucks including the diesel, whether it was a stock 5.3 or my 418 with big heads and a donly dick cam it sounded badass. Rasp at part throttle was the only thing that sucked.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

If you want the GT to be a bit louder, have a few more ponys and still be legal, then just put on the GXP system. It's basically 2.25" all the way back and has very little restriction, if they didn't change the rear mufflers from what i designed.... You might even see a 5-10 hp increase.

The GXP is on the very edge of being legal for federal requirments here in the states and has some mean crackle on the decel.... again at least when i was doing the tuning work last year. It could benefit some by going to 2.5" diam. tubes if it can be packaged....but i only had the 2.25" to work with.

I wouldn't take too much volume out of the rear mufflers if you change them, as you may end up with a splitting headache from the cabin boom you'll have....longer trips = not fun.

The GT and GXP systems are interchangable....however, i wouldn't put the GT system on the GXP in any way, shape or form.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ScottyRocket
If you want the GT to be a bit louder, have a few more ponys and still be legal, then just put on the GXP system. It's basically 2.25" all the way back and has very little restriction, if they didn't change the rear mufflers from what i designed.... You might even see a 5-10 hp increase.

The GXP is on the very edge of being legal for federal requirments here in the states and has some mean crackle on the decel.... again at least when i was doing the tuning work last year. It could benefit some by going to 2.5" diam. tubes if it can be packaged....but i only had the 2.25" to work with.

I wouldn't take too much volume out of the rear mufflers if you change them, as you may end up with a splitting headache from the cabin boom you'll have....longer trips = not fun.

The GT and GXP systems are interchangable....however, i wouldn't put the GT system on the GXP in any way, shape or form.
Can you say more about the differences between the GT and GXP systems? Oh, and what your role was in the exhaust development? Thanks.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog
Can you say more about the differences between the GT and GXP systems? Oh, and what your role was in the exhaust development? Thanks.
Well you can put the complete GT System on the GXP and have it a lot quieter and less HP, or you can put the GXP system on the GT and get an increase in sound levels and a few HP. I didn't do the development work on the GT system, but i did do some testing with the GT mufflers on a GXP Mule car when we where doing the development work on the GXP.

You can also just swap the GXP mufflers in place of the GT's and get in the middle ground of the GT and GXP as far as exhaust noise....however, there will be an increase in engine noise in the GT's cabin if you swap any GXP parts on it. Some guys don't like that, but if you are going to do it, then you already know what that could mean.

Oh, the down pipes on the GT also have a flex joint that the GXP does not...for DOD noise issues.

GXP: has an H-Pipe just after the last set of cats, a mid can-resonator and rear mufflers with an S-bend flow tube..and that's it!
GT: has front can-resonator, mid can-resonator and a much longer flow path in the mufflers.

I guess i should also note as a warning that the GT intermediate pipe has no flats, where as the GXP does in certain areas...this is for the extra engine roll that the GXP produces by not having the flex couplings in the down pipes....so making this swap is at your own risk of damage or fire hazards from the possibility of the pipes contacting the underbody.

That's about it, i can't give out any numbers or test data i have, sorry.

FWIW, i also did the exhaust system on the colorado/canyon V8 trucks....also very low restriction muffler. If you hear any of those, let me know what you think.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

But then whats the point if its a sports sedan??? We dont want exhaust notes to be refined, we want them to be loud as hell.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Banned

corsa. quiet cruize. wot.......... loud as ****
Old 02-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Launching!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/N...tup_634506.htm

description of the setup on the top right of the SF page.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:33 AM
Teching In

I still like the "sleeper" thing this car has going for it. You put an extremely loud exhaust on here and it may give that away. A better flowing exhaust without any more loudness than stock would be ideal. You can always put in a cutout too.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory GXP catback sounds pretty good even with stock manifolds and cats, but would sound even better with a cam and longtube headers in front of it.

If it was my daily driver, I wouldn't want it obnoxious.

This GT sounds pretty good too

Cammed G8 GT

-Rick

Quick Reply: Does an Obnoxious Exhaust Belong on the G8?