Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say I'm very dissapointed in SLP choosing the Firehawk name for the G8. I don't feel that the G8 in any way represents what a Firehawk always was. Being in new GM sales, I'm excited that SLP has decided to step in and offer packages for the G8, because we need anything we can get to help get customers excited about buying cars. However, I think you guys could've done better coming up with a name. As mentioned, the "SLP Edition" G8 would've been fine, and brought more attention to the SLP name.
What bothers me the most is that you're offering a Firehawk V6 G8. Are you serious? I'm honestly curious how that makes any sense. Here me out. A V6 G8 is really only about ~$2K less expensive than a G8 GT. Let's just say that the Firehawk package is about a $2K option on the V6. Why on earth would anyone buy a Firehawk V6 over a V8 GT??! Because of the name? Anyone can see that the better buy is the GT with the V8 over the v6 with some mods. For ~$2K, a customer gets ~100hp and over~125 ft tq more over the v6, while only losing 1mpg on the highway, and 2 in the city. I seriously doubt you can offer anything on a v6 that makes more "sense" to buy it over a GT. Not to mention how much that ruins the Firehawk name by putting it on a v6 sedan anyway. Obviously this was a chance to make some money, but I'm honestly dissapointed. And what's worse for me, is that since I'm in sales, I'm going to have to deal with people coming in asking about a V6 Firehawk G8.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

So Dave, is this the reason you uploaded all those Firehawk videos in the "Special Vehicles" section? So you could refer people to those videos when you describe a Firehawk to the current BMW owners looking at a new Firehawk?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 99Hawk6spd
So Dave, is this the reason you uploaded all those Firehawk videos in the "Special Vehicles" section? So you could refer people to those videos when you describe a Firehawk to the current BMW owners looking at a new Firehawk?

No, they were mostly previously not seen videos that I uploaded for the Firehawk community.

Regards,

David
Old 09-23-2008, 01:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Probably my last post in this thread, but I look at it this way.

SLP G8 V8: I'd look at it, want to know what the package adds. I don't need the car to have a name, and frankly since it's a family sedan I don't really want it to have a name like Firehawk, Predator, Avenger etc.

SLP G8 V8 + Firehawk name: Dated boy racer logo on a family car, disaprove. Dilution of sports car cache' of the Firehawk name, at a minimum should only be for two door cars. As shown in pics, would not want to use that hood stripe and decal package for a car that I take clients in.

SLP G8 V6: Pointless

I like:

Old 09-23-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Guys - I only read 5 pages of this but here it is:
1. QUIT whining. Why?
2. The f-body died for several reasons, I say the most important was GM didn't market them for Sh*t.
3. Second reason was a poor quality (but good performing) product

GM has learned to do it better AND enlist the aid of others, both in product and marketing. Long term, these decisions - to use awesome Aussie products and enlist SLP to augment marketing efforts - helps ensure we have LS based V8 platforms to buy and play with for many years. It may feel like bastardizing a cool name to you short sighted purists, and it is, but if it ensures the survivability of our beloved V8 RWD platform - so be it.

Ford sells the hell out of V6 mustangs and other quasi-performance models, which secures V8 models, since the V8s are lower margin.

Bottom line: Quit bitching and be grateful that GM FINALLY learned something from the demise of the f-body (and RWD Impalas) and is actually doing something about it that will help make sure we have V8 hot rods to play with for a while longer.

Bottom, bottom line - go out and actually buy a G8.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Teching In

There's no way in hell I'd buy a G8...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Launching!

I'm not reading this whole thread to see if this has already been brought up but on the first page it was mentioned "emotions aside"...

First let me get this out of the way. I like the G8 and I like that SLP is modifying it. BUT.

WTF

Since when are we robots only concerned with a spreadsheet of numbers? Cars, at least as a hobby and passion, are deeply rooted in that very thing, EMOTION!. You cannot tell an enthusiast to ignore his emotions. That's what these cars and names incite. Excitement, Joy, Pleasure. EMOTIONS.

So all I have to say is thank you for watering down another legendary name....
Old 09-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Kinda goofy on a few levels. Ripping off the namesake (regardless of who actually “owns” it) comes to mind.

Spreading the name out to include the V-6 dilutes it even further. Kinda like having a GXP V-6 and a GXP V-8. I agree with the European badge layouts, that’s how you badge an upper level car . Pontiac has been leaning towards alphanumeric nomenclature so why mix it up?

SLP G-8, this is what it needs to be!

Last edited by 2008 GXP; 09-23-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I wouldn't say it diminishes the value of the Firebird Firehawks, it just gives the entire legacy of the once-historic Firebird edition a black eye.
^^^ this is so true please don't use the firehawk name on a damn sedan, i like the G8 but it will never be a REAL Firehawk!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Mr. Hamburger i own one of a very few 10th anniversary firehawks and a COMP T/A, i can't beleive you would even consider putting this legendary name on a four door sedan. i think you and your R&D department could come up with something a little more original. i always thought firehawk was an extension of the firebird, firehawk being the bird of prey or the bad boy on the block. what does the g8 even have anything in common with the original firehawk (nothing). the regular g8 has nothing to do with birds why would you even consider useing this name. so now when someone asks what kind of car i have and i say Firehawk they are going to get a mental picture of a big heavy *** 4 door sedan. i really wish you and your company could sit down and rethink this, give the g8 it's own name don't take away from our awsome cars. please please reconsider. honestly i love my car and this is almost like a slap in the face from a company i've loved and admirred for so many years

chris
if this does not change i will remove the big slp logo in my back window

Last edited by strokerblackhawk; 09-24-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I cant wate for the 2011 20th Anniv Firehawk, maybe they will use the black and gold colors on it too.....

This is just sad on so many levels....
Old 09-23-2008, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
I cant wate for the 2011 20th Anniv Firehawk, maybe they will use the black and gold colors on it too.....

I hope this idea falls on it's face way before that ugly day comes around.

BTW: So the firehawk won't even be available in black? I know it's not a GM offered color, but weren't the majority of hawks black? What are the majority gonna be now? Green like the money you're making on this deal?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Hawk6spd
I hope this idea falls on it's face way before that ugly day comes around.

BTW: So the firehawk won't even be available in black? I know it's not a GM offered color, but weren't the majority of hawks black? What are the majority gonna be now? Green like the money you're making on this deal?
You can get G8s in black...its called Panther Black!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
We all love power and performance Dave. But, this new "Firehawk" simply makes our Firebird versions less special now. Sort of like how Chevy slaps "SS" on everything they build. It becomes less special by doing so.

The name wouldn't ever die as you stated, there are (were?) 1000s of Firehawk enthusiasts and fans that will not forget what it is. There are 1000s more Firehawk fans that don't even own Firehawks, bet they will not like this news either.

As for the target consumer, I think you are not considering something here. Those of us that bought new Firehawk Firebirds are now 10-15 yrs older, and we ARE the target consumer now for the G8. I may buy a GXP for my wife. I'm not happy to see "Firehawk" on the door of a 4-door sedan though. The car itself might kick serious ***, but you have now diluted something that many of us considered special.

Very well said Tony.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97ramsst

ohh **** i think i'm gonna be sick
Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Im sorry but have you guys even driven one. I have and its no grocery getter. This car will blow the doors off any stock F-body. Sorry to say but just because it has 4 doors dont knock it till you try it. this car stuck me in my seat and now adding SLP touch it will do even more. Unless you are modded dont mess with this car because it will tear that *** up.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.leftlanenews.com/slp-to-r...ontiac-g8.html
Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

How about "Firehawk - A legend recycled" ??
Old 09-23-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6RACING
Im sorry but have you guys even driven one. I have and its no grocery getter. This car will blow the doors off any stock F-body. Sorry to say but just because it has 4 doors dont knock it till you try it. this car stuck me in my seat and now adding SLP touch it will do even more. Unless you are modded dont mess with this car because it will tear that *** up.
Stock 1/4 mile times for a stock G8 are 13.8s plus. I don't know whats wrong with your car, but it certainly won't "tear my *** up."
Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

im drawing an odd but similiar line between this 'new' firehawk and the 'new' GTO.

i remember when it first came out. Jim Wangers himself did his best to promote the new goat. he went on and on about the 'new target demographic'....they wanted to woo BMW owners over to pontiacs. does it sound like they ever went to the REAL target demographic? ie: pontiac enthusiasts? hell no. the new goat was supposed to 'revive the name' and 'breathe life into a names that has died out'. did it really? it was a resounding flop. now, it was a great car. i love the car.....performance, looks, interior, etc. should it have been called a GTO? hell no. call it anything but a GTO.

if they really went to the 'target demographic', the new GTO would have been a retro design, like the new mustang, camaro, challenger. and i defy anyone to disagree when i say new GTOs would have flown off the showroom floor faster then pontiac could make them, if they were designed after a 67, 69, 70 GTO.

Jim Wangers is quoting in saying that he ADMITTED calling it a GTO was competely wrong, he was against it, disagreed with it, and is glad it was over. but why did he have to promote it? pontiac/GM told him to. im getting the same feeling with SLP. theyll never admit to it, but who wants to bet pontiac went to them and said "we want this called a firehawk. slap some stuff on it and make it happen."

if there was ANY sense behind it, the real target demo for the new GTO would have been pontiac people. if there was ANY sense behind it, the real target demo for the 'new' firehawk would have been pontiac/firehawk people. this is corporate america throwing their weight around and not listening one iota to the people who actually BUY their products.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss