Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Need some opinions LS2 GTO/Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
you won't get 26-30 mpg in a M6 GTO on the highway.

I'd go GTO, but for a nice driver, if you want a race car, go 2003 cobra.

If I was to replace the 1998 WS6 in my sig, it would be with a 2003-4 cobra.

IF I was to replace the 2006 GTO, it would be with another GTO. I hope this helps.

Ryan
Don't know what you're talking about...I get about 27 on average on the highway with a cammed GTO.

I'd buy a 15K 04 and mod it out and be faster than either for the price difference. All the good benefits of the GTO with the long proven LS1 poweplant.

I like that the GTO doesn't attract as much attention as a car like the cobra would. You don't see as many GTO's as cobras either. The cobra has a very nice bottom end that was factory built for boost but they still have inherant motor problems from ford. LS1/LS2 platforms seem to be more reliable.

Plus....25K for a used mustang!?!?! I wouldn't spend that on something from 03-04....but thats me.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Biggest pro for the Cobra is you can actually get a large tire out back. GTO is so much better built car than the Cobra. Either way you will have a good car. I just hate the interiors on the Cobra. LS Motors are easily modded, but the rest of the driveline and suspension is where the costs come in. And the GTO is a sleeper, still not a lot of people know what they are.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

If all you care about is performance and cheap modding I'd do Cobra.. Keep in mind that I HATE FORD

If you want a good looking car that is still fast, has a nice interior, reliable DD, and can still beat most of the guys at the track, go GTO. and btw GTO's aren't too expensive to mod

It's all up to your personal preferences.

Personally, when I sell my DD 03 Eclipse this spring, I plan on buying an 05-06 GTO A4 as my new DD
Old 11-27-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Okay, I have owned an 03 Cobra and currently have an 05 GTO sitting in my garage.

What I liked about my Cobra:
Made 450 at the wheels with a pulley, exhaust, tuning.
Parts were pretty damn cheap.
Ran 11.70 @ 119 MPH
Looks bad ***, it turns heads.

What I hated about my Cobra:
Got no better than 16 MPGs. Ever.
The bolsters on the seat would give me a wedgie when I got into the car.
The clutch pedal was about two inches higher than the brake; I had to lift my foot from the brake to press on the clutch
Cable actuated clutch
Noisy as all get-out on the inside
It turns the heads of cops just as much as gear-heads

And keep in mind that they can get expensive. Everyone thinks they are worth $$$$$.

I picked up an 05 GTO M6 about two weeks ago.

What I like about my GTO:
I've put about 230 miles on it, and still have between 1/4 and 1/2 tank of fuel left.
The seats are comfortable, I like the power everything on them.
The back seat is plausible to have full sized people in them.

What I don't like about my GTO:
It's going to destroy my bank account. (read: mods)

What would I tell you to go with? The GTO. I like driving them more than I like fixing them. Not saying that the Cobra broke, but hey, it's a Ford and I like my GM vehicles.

This is my personal opinion having owned both cars you asked about. Your mileage may vary.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you won't get 26-30 mpg in a M6 GTO on the highway.

Ryan

you might not,

but I did (before the cam)
now I get 22-25 highway
Old 11-27-2008, 01:39 AM
11 Second Club

maybe going 60 you can get good mileage, in mine 25mpg is the best I have done (but normally flat roads, 72-75 mph)

My WS6 will get 25-30 consistantly in the same 70-72 range, due to the better OD ratios of the f-car T56

Ryan
not so much,

my best economy (31.xxmpg avg over 450+ mile tank)
cruising between 75 and 85
Old 11-27-2008, 01:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Commissar
Biggest pro for the Cobra is you can actually get a large tire out back.
GTO is so much better built car than the Cobra. Either way you will have a good car. I just hate the interiors on the Cobra. LS Motors are easily modded, but the rest of the driveline and suspension is where the costs come in.
And the GTO is a sleeper, still not a lot of people know what they are.

true true,

it's frustrating being limmited to 275 tires in the back,
and very limmited on wheel selections (if you wanna go wider) due to the goofey bolt pattern/offset
Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls 2 goat
These are performance cars guys...come on...who really bought these things for their "great" gas mileage???
All of us did right!!
Old 11-27-2008, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Gto hands down!!!!

Last edited by RacerXLs1; 11-28-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

i like the cobras...but for quality gto is deffinitly the winner..interior as everyone else said is just amazingly comfortable...i would try and find a gto the has tasty mods done to it..either way those are both nice cars..good luck
Old 11-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Teching In

I'm really not a fan of the new-edge mustangs. They are, relative to a GTO, built like poo. They are much easier to make go fast though and factory forged internals are always a plus! Since you want a race car - go for the snake. If you were wanting a DD, GTO dumdumdum.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
All of us did right!!
silly silly silly that anyone is talking about gas mileage, for me its simple i like n/a engines, and for me GM all the way, so its easy GTO, I have total respect for the Cobra nice car, sick car, but really ill take my goat over the snake any day
Old 12-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Teching In

When you go to do a cammed cobra you need to FOUR of them. Plus, an 04 cobra needs a blower to make the same power as an all stock LS2.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sprocketeer
When you go to do a cammed cobra you need to FOUR of them. Plus, an 04 cobra needs a blower to make the same power as an all stock LS2.
AGREED!!!!! I was in the same sorta situation. A few months back I wanted to just get rid of my camaro for an 03/04 cobra. I still love the Terminator Cobras,, but when it comes down to it,, the Ford Modular motors are just not that spectacular. If the cobra had no blower from factory they would stand less of a chance hanging with a GM LSX car!!! I personally would go for the GTO. It may be cheaper to make power with the Cobra but hell,, just go out and by a Procharger or Magnacharger for the GTO.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:12 AM
12 Second Club

cobra.......Pontiac may not exist in the future and if you are financing the car then it is not going to be worth **** when Pontiac gets the axe. so unless you plan on keeping this car forever i wouldnt do it.

other then that i am saving my pennies for a ls9 swap. then you cobra boys are **** out of luck.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Teching In

This is a little late,but i just traded my 04 Mysichrome cobra with 47,000 miles for the 06 goat which has 17,000 miles.And to be honest the goat is a lot more comfortable and seems like a nicer car.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Teching In

theres a procharged 2006 gto for sale on here for 20000 like 10k miles thats making 540 rwhp. problem solved. **** my 04 gto when i bought it used bone stock was around 20k.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Teching In

the cobra will be more expensive as far as some of the mods( cams x4 =1300) the ride is not that good, the trans seems not to be smooth shifting more notchy than gm. a friend of mine has had a 98 mustang, mach1 and a cobra that put down some really good hp but was $$$$ to get the mods.he hated the way the trans shifted in the cobra vs the 99 vette he owns now but then it's all about YOUR needs and wants...good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

I've driven both and when I think about the two I can only think into more detail of the GTO and what I liked more about it over the Cobra.

I like the Cobra's as well, I've always been fond of them. If I was going to buy a car for play it would be the Cobra. If I was going to buy a car for daily use I would buy the GTO.

However:

The GTO swings both ways; it can fit both bills if you will. With myself as well as others, the GTO is a better built car and very comfortable. People have said and agreed. The GTO has both these aspects over the Cobra. To an extent mods are going to be the same $$$ wise. Especially if you going to start ripping into engines etc...

A cobra will make anywhere from 470-500rwhp or more (same goes for TQ) with a ported eaton (stock blower). Slap a twin screw on there (Kenne Bell/Whipple), they'll make more power, yeah, sometimes up in the 700hp range. Call the average 550-600hp. You can make those numbers if not close to them with a TT GTO or a blower with some meth/nitrous on the intercooler added if need be. Weight can be roughly the same, give or take some variables

This is my mentality when thinking about this. I've always wanted a Cobra but I love the GTOs. I lay out the pros and cons in my head and the GTO always seems to be the favorable car in my eyes. Despite any intended use. The only thing that draws me to the Cobra are the looks.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

DD= GTslo
track car= Slobra!

+10 for the win

and dont forget goats are slow and SW's a tard!!!!

Quick Reply: Need some opinions LS2 GTO/Cobra