Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

I need my MN12 rebuilt:(

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need my MN12 rebuilt:(

For the people that have had the 6 speeds rebuilt tell me my options and your experince's please. Thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

What happened?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mn12?

T56....????
Old 03-30-2009, 07:21 AM
12 Second Club

The MN12 is a T56, it's just a specific one. Our GTO's, Z06's, and maybe some CTS-V's all got the MN12. I believe the only difference is the gearing is a little more aggresive in the first few gears.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

ohhh, I see what you're saying...I was like...wtf?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well first my car is H/C/I with the pedders back half repair freshly installed I went out 2 launch the car. The pedders is great but my 3rd gear grinds everytime I use it now. Sometime's its a very slight grind but mostly its a real bad grind. I don't know much about trans's but I think its the third gear syncro that gave up. I knew I was gonna have to get a built trans but didn't think it was gonna be so soon. My car has seen 43000 miles of friday/saturday night action so Im happy it lasted this long.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats pretty sad....I have 92K and my car has 420 HP and 390 ft lbs and I abuse it daily. Sometimes 4th is a little stiff and 2nd has a slight grind every now and then but its nothing that needs to be rebuilt.

Try changing out your fluid first before going to a rebuild sometimes that can help. Also check your shifter out....I have the GMM and the stop bolts backed out and it wouldn't allow me to shift properly (doesn't sound like it but try the simple things first)

if you're STILL SOL, I've seen t56rebuilds.com do some good work. Check the buyer feedback for sure but the one I saw was nice.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Thats pretty sad....I have 92K and my car has 420 HP and 390 ft lbs and I abuse it daily. Sometimes 4th is a little stiff and 2nd has a slight grind every now and then but its nothing that needs to be rebuilt.

Try changing out your fluid first before going to a rebuild sometimes that can help. Also check your shifter out....I have the GMM and the stop bolts backed out and it wouldn't allow me to shift properly (doesn't sound like it but try the simple things first)

if you're STILL SOL, I've seen t56rebuilds.com do some good work. Check the buyer feedback for sure but the one I saw was nice.

Thanks 4 the help bro. I am gonna try changing the trans fluid this weekend. Hopefully it helps.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

possibly you could rebuild it yourself? or find someone local to help you through it?
Jester's T56 was doing the same thing. we rebuilt it ourselves. was sort of a pita the first time around, but if we had to do it again i'm sure it would go much faster. the T56 manual is available online. do a search, you'll find it.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

You'll be able to afford to rebuild it twice on your own for what you'll have to pay someone to do it once. If you're mechanically able, the most difficult part of the whole thing is taking the tranny out/putting it back in. The rebuild is very straightforward and, as mentioned, the manuals available online are more than sufficient. There are probably some very good threads on here detailing the rebuild with pictures and advice.

Ryan
Old 04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am broke so I might have 2. I am scared That I Will F*ck up though.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
I am broke so I might have 2. I am scared That I Will F*ck up though.
Get some help from experienced friends. If you dont have any experienced friends, then go out and make some friends with this quality. Then get a detailed T-56 builders manual and do your homework on parts, where to get them, and how much they cost. Buy parts as you get money (This way you dont risk the chance of blowing your money on less important car stuff, as we all tend to do sometimes). Or if your disciplined enough then just save like normal and dump the cash on the rebuild kit. Then go to town on the tranny.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys I need to start asking some friends 4 help
Old 04-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

t56rebuilds.com doesn't exist...and neither does sixspeedinc.com which was they changed to... I am also looking into a rebuild and would like some quotes... I know it's hard without the tranny infront of you but the only thing it's doing is grinding goin in and popping out of reverse. All te other gears are fine... Oh, and when racing, it wont go into 5th unless I let of and wait a sec...
Old 04-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DNTMPME
t56rebuilds.com doesn't exist...and neither does sixspeedinc.com which was they changed to... I am also looking into a rebuild and would like some quotes... I know it's hard without the tranny infront of you but the only thing it's doing is grinding goin in and popping out of reverse. All te other gears are fine... Oh, and when racing, it wont go into 5th unless I let of and wait a sec...
that sounds more like clutch than tranny, man.

how many miles does yours have? is it stock?

i'd look there before heading to a transmission shop.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
Thanks guys I need to start asking some friends 4 help
M6 06 GTO with the RaceProvenMotorsports mod??!! WTF?

wasn't your Goat mostly built and tuned at Vengence?

anyways you will be fine, just take an easy on the trans and WOT. save up the next few months then just it done right. I don't think you want to pull the trans your self with master mechanic Kent Kaniff behind you trying to help you help himself.

Quick Reply: I need my MN12 rebuilt:(