Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

medium sized cam???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the ls2, you can get over 400hp with a cam and headers.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

hell yea im gonna looking forward to that. thats what i want i just want to get my car into the 400's and ill be happy
Old 04-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Default sup

sup man i got a comp 224 228 590 114 and a set of comp 918 springs im sellin if intressed ill take 350 + shipping
Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

jimmy,

As you already stated, this car will be a daily driver in an automatic, and you are willing to buy a new torque converter (good choice, relatively inexpensive and makes a huge difference). So now let me ask you some questions...
1. Do you have to pass emissions in your state?
2. Do you run cat converters on the exhaust?
3. Do you want the cam to lope? If yes, how much?
4. where do you want the power to come on?
Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Teching In

i say go with the torquer 2 you wont be sorry
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

blah on the "torquer". much better cams for what he wants available. IMHO
Old 04-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

yea i have to pass emissions and i dont have any cats. the spintech exhaust i bought didnt come with any but when i got it tuned the guy went in there and took that out of the computer. so i figured whatever the cam and torque converter doesnt pass, he could take outta the computer. i dont want it to lope that much cause i like the sound i got. its nice and smooth and when i get on it, it sounds like a drag car. a little bit is ok but i dont want it to be really noticable like someone comes up and can immediately tell i got a cam. and if i understand the last question correctly, your talking about horsepower and torque. if so i want both to be about the same, if thats possible. i dont want a tramendous difference between the 2.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

ok sorry i read that last one wrong. i dont want the power to come on unless i push the pedal either half or all the way down. i dont want to break my neck when i just tap on the gas. i would be going through tires every month if it was like that.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

so wait, you do have to do emissions testing where you live?? If so, you are going to need to put your convertors back on. And no, exhaust systems dont come with them, you took them off when you put the headers on. The midpipes you bought were the off road cats i assume. You need the midpipes with cats. As far as the loping, that will be in the design of the cam. You can also change the emissions characteristics of the cam by the way it is designed. Usually, the less the cam lopes (overlap), the better the emissions will be.

As far as where the power is, forget that question as i dont think you quite understood it. Realistically, you have a street car which is a DD, so you dont want a big cam. A big cam wouldnt be ideal for you, wouldnt give you the best performance, etc.

I would suggest you have your cam picked out for you. Either call\email Ed Curtis at FTI (www.flowtechinduction.com), or other cam designers. I dont really know who else does it, i am sure others can tell you. Either way, they will pick out the cam that does exactly what you want. IF there isnt one already made that does exactly what you want, they will make it.

best of luck.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

actually no i dont have emissions tests here and yea i got the off road midpipes. yea i got from what everyone said that i need a cam in the 224-228 area. but i will get a hold of ed and ask his opinion on it and see what he can do. thanks for your help i really appreciate it. if i need any more information on anything else im gonna come to you for it.

Quick Reply: medium sized cam???