Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

My home-made Ram-air CAI, with results...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My home-made Ram-air CAI, with results...

Here is a thread i made on another board (which i am now banned from) about the set up i made...
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248522

anyway, i thought i would share my results with you guys, in case some of you here dont go over there. I have a good deal of mods (heads, cam, headers, manifold, etc). Anyway, one thing i dont have is the IAT sensor relocate. So when i would look at my IAT on my dash-hawk, they would read anwhere from 120-130 degrees (florida). That is insane, so i went about trying to make my own CAI. The process is on the link above.

RESULTS>>>

Well, i was cleaning up my engine bay and took the tube out a few days ago. While i had it hooked up, i was reading an IAT of about 90 degrees (its hot down here). After i took my CAI off, i was driving around again, and i was readsing between 125-130 degrees. So it obviously works. And this is without the IAT relocate, or a better thermistor.

So if any of you fellas want a CAI but dont want to drop the coin, or get one you arent sure works well, i suggest you give mine a try.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i alright have a cold air intake that I made as well from autozone/advance but could your set up work for an 04?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

i dont see why it wouldnt. As long as you can get to the side of your airbox, and there is enough space between the airbox and the motor\pullies to run the hose, it shoudl work.

the whole setup cost me maybe $50 and took about 1-2 hours to install. And that was figuring it out as i went. With a write up like i provided, you could probably do it in under an hour.

And it worked awesome. Even sitting in traffic, the IAT only gets up around 105 degrees on a 90 degree day. And the minute you begin driving, it plummets to about ambient. On the road (or speeds about 30+), you are sitting at ambient.

works great, no timing being pulled, etc. While the car was off, i figured i would see how much air the scoop actually pics up. So i popped the hood, took the filter out so i could see the input into the airbox that i made. I took a leaf blower and aimed it at the scoop on the front grill, but not directly on it or touching it. As soon as i turned it on i felt air blowing into the airbox at a good velocity. So i am sure when driving you are getting a good amount of air pushed into the airbox.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

stay online...how did u get the scoop down to the grill like that?
I"m gonna go take a pic of the intake I made real quick..I could run a y pipe I think
Old 04-16-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

another qustion...5 wire maf sensors have built in iat sensors can I just tie into that one and get rid of the stock one all together?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

prolly be faster if I sent it your cell homie but I think I got what your coming from if I add a y I think I can do it
Old 04-16-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

3309339001 text me I'm gonna go do some looking around see what I can come up with I have the pic but I can't up load it for some reason
Old 04-16-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

my thread over on ls1gto.com has pics of what i did.
however, i can describe it in words, or try at least. I used a hole on the side of the airbox near the motor (cant recall if it was there or i cut it. Anyway, i attached the metal coated plastic elbow to a output piece i put in the airbox. Then fed the hose down the side of the box, past the pullies, and out the bottom of the car. I then fabbed up a scoop from an old funnel and put that in the bottom grill. I attached the tube from the airbox to the scoop.

Take a look at the other thread. if u need more pics, i will go take some more for you.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah take some...I might have to shorten my pipe to get it to work for me...cuz i mean I already have this cold air intake I made if I could figure this stuff out I could show u the pic I got to work with[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\jason sole\Desktop[/IMG]
Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

will do the pics for you tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cool cool theres a pic of my intake in my photo gallery...I got this piece that slides right in my filter so I car run that air duct tube...I think I"m just gonna shorten my intake pipe so I can do that what ya think?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

i dont know how to look at your photo gallery, and by your description i am not sure what you mean. brb with some photos.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

all u do is click on my garage under my name to the left here that's it
Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Teching In

i'd love to read that, but im banned from there too now.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

oh shiz... i forgot to take the new pics for you. Sorry bout that. i will try to get to it today, if you still want them.

Shuffler... lol. What did you do? MYself, i had a verbal disagreement with a mod over there. The guy is a real *****. Before the real disagreement with him began, he didnt like something i posted in the lounge, so what did he do? He goes and puts up my personal info! Thats right, he breaks his own rules and puts up my personal info for the whole board to see, merely because he didnt like an opinion i had, that didnt even have anything to do with him.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
Here is a thread i made on another board (which i am now banned from) about the set up i made...
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248522
You and me both LOL. Those guys are asshats over there. **** em hard.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

just like anywhere else, some guys are cool, some are douche bags. Unfortunately, some douche bags are also mods. This gives them the God complex, since you cant reach through the interwebs and pimp slap them.

Quick Reply: My home-made Ram-air CAI, with results...