Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO Steering Wheel Hub Fabrication, Who wants in?!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a serious powdercoater connection, but the thought is what counts. thanks brother!

I know you have been one of the only ones on board with this ambitous idea since the start. For that, you were taken into consideration. I just want to make sure it works for us before i send it out so if we need to redo any designs on it that can be done.

just have to test fit some wire edm rings out before we wire edm the splines out. Want to make sure on some scrap that the spline size and fit is correct before we do it to the actual hubs. Here are both of ours though, already ready to roll...

Name:  hub2.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  33.8 KB
Old 08-12-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, they look like serious business, almost to nice to use. ALMOST! I can already start to feel more left leg room and a grippier, smaller diameter wheel. I just about let out a loud evil laugh.
I appreciate the CONSIDERATION, not as much as the nug work you've done though. You need to copyright/patent these when they are complete and make some cake for your efforts.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

working on it as we speak. These arent bullshit metal either, GOOD ****.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

They look it too.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

annnnd whoever said it was 41 spline is wrong. Its 45 spline. He put it on the optical scope and measured the angle cut on the splines so we only have to do this one time.

The material is 4140 alloy steel, so its going to need to be powder coated. Since your dude does the coating, ill leave that up to you if its cool.

Working on the price as soon as the edm is done and we see if it works.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

whoever provided the spline size on ls1gto was wrong, 20 thosandths too big. the hub thickness dimensions were wrong also.

i swear, that website is the worst source of information on the internet . lol
Old 08-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Nice work getting the part made to order. Good to know there are still people of action.
Are you planning to have these available for sale?
A steering wheel I highly recommend is the Sparco "Ring", I have used it on my track car for about two years.

http://www.sparcousa.com/psteering_street.asp?id=293

Old 08-18-2010, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

i bet your name is stan isnt it! I started to ask about this hub when i bought my car back in january, my mistake was asking on ls1gto.com. The thread turned into like a ten page hater thread about how im a ricer for wanting this.
Not a big surprise though, there are mass hillbillies and haters on there that have no idea what they are doing anyways, haha..

as far as the wheel, i have used the Nardi Deep corn. I actually have been working on my gto lately and put my seat into it last weekend. MAJOR DIFFERENCE

Name:  IMG_9144.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  137.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9142.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  129.7 KB

Name:  IMG_9145.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  114.3 KB

heres the wheel. Its 350mm perfectly round with no offset center, and perfect round grip. rotates perfectly round in your hand, and im very comfortable with it after using it in my other car..

Name:  IMG_9148.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  127.6 KB

more to come
Old 08-18-2010, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Something else I can get purple-ized. I like the round steering wheel as well.
That isn't a sequential shifter is it? The **** looks like it but the left offset looks stock.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

i wish it was

its the same **** they use in the c5r/c6r sequential cars though.. very comfortable. im actually contemplating building a long shifter next. Moving the **** up closer to the steering wheel. Some would blast on it and say its like a truck shift ****, but in reality im just trying to keep my hands closer to the wheel.

here is a rendering of a shifter some other friends of mine designed for their rr/ax car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqmeF...layer_embedded

Stock style shifting

altered/raised style shifter

i need to further look into the design though. With the added leverage of the longer shifter, breaking components may be too easily done, however i dont really slam on stuff, i can shift extremely fast and be gentle. just an idea in my head at this point, but ive got all the resources to do so as is however. .. we'll see

im still waiting on the edm guy to wire out the splines, then ill have it good to go.

im looking into the complications of producing it and selling it, just not sure about the demand. I know of 2 people with gto's with wheels in them. the yellow car, and a guy cv8drft off the gto site.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

A long arm, short throw shifter! They might blast on it until they saw how fast you can shift it. Every racer out there would want one, you could make a killing. Very few M6 guys like the stock "knife in the mayo jar" shifter. You could adapt that and put some type of rubber absorber at the end of each throw point to eliminate or lessen the shock and chance of breaking anything. Really, to me it looks like you could shift it as fast or faster with an easy shift because the throw is less than half of any other shifter out there, you don't need to strong arm it.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

You wait til guys see the wheel adapter, once they know it is available they will flock in, mark my words!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

haha. but im just a ricer!

lol. Im ALL about function. IMO these cars have very limited markets aimed at drag racing. Just because its got a v8 in it does not mean you MUST minitub it and put 9010 shocks on the front. lol.. I think with the IRS setup and the way the car is laid out, with a few tweaks here and there this thing will be a serious machine. Its already coming together very nicely. Its all about what each of us like to do with our own cars tho, no one thing is a bad idea if you are having fun. I bet you are right. As soon as the "Ricer steering wheel" dudes see the outcome of this, they will fiend for one. lol... Still waiting on the wire edm operator to return from some business trip out of state tho, then its go time! Keep you informed as progress resumes.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:03 AM
11 Second Club

Nice job man, nice to see some one doing something different! How will it effect the air bag sensors and stuff any ideas? I'd imagine there will be an airbag light on the dash since it is missing?

If my car ever becomes a dedicated track car I will be in for this, right now i am daily driving it and its kind of nice to turn the volume up with the steering wheel controls hahaha.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

i have a kenwood in dash dvd player deal, so the steering wheel controls are out of the window with that as soon as i actually get off my *** and install it. Im just really against the stock steering wheel. IMO its worth it to lose the self canceling signals and airbag in favor of a nice steering wheel for the car.

As for the airbag deal, you can buy a jumper plug to cancel that out and trick the car into thinking it still has a bag in it. This is like the 10th car ive owned where i have disabled the airbag though, haha.. I did cover up the srs light though, but the screen displayed "airbag fault" till i jump the terminal wires on the stock harness plug.

Yellow gto dude, did you jump your plug like this, or do you just deal with the airbag fault business and select the mode button and just forget about it?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Ok, out of curiosity.

How many of you would want one of these hubs if i could have more made???Id assume in the neighborhood of 180.00 each. A normal nice hub is like 80 bucks plus shipping, so to have a custom made one to exact specs made from 4140 steel is not extravagant IMO

They will not have turn signal canceling features on them. You will have to click the signals off. It also is a much tighter fit than the stock wheel. IMO the stock wheel must be measured in standard and the column is clearly metric. Even with everything snug, you can grab ahold of mine and feel the slop in it if you wiggle on it hard enough, its not the column moving either, you can see the wheel move clear as day with the covers off.

The steering wheel hub companies do not give a **** about adding a gto hub to their lineup clearly because they never responded back. Fuckem..
Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

No one makes it? **** it, do it yourself!

With the help of my close friend and his millions of dollars of machines at his disposal, heres the outcome... Very small amount will be machined off the rear of the hub to give it some more clearance between the column cover and hub, besides that its DONE.

Name:  gto4.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  gto3.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  gto7.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  120.1 KB

Name:  gto2.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  gto1.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  109.2 KB

Name:  gto8.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  110.0 KB
Old 08-25-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

That looks beautiful.

I WILL do this down the line with my car.

Coongrats, and thanks for making it so easy for the rest of us
Old 08-25-2010, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

thanks to you for the appreciation!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Hey one quick question, would this make it possible to fit like a DS vette steering wheel?

Thats my favorite GM steering wheel, looks aggressive and very OEM.

Quick Reply: GTO Steering Wheel Hub Fabrication, Who wants in?!!