Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

heads and cam 04 goat

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heads and cam 04 goat

ok guys i just bout heads and a cam for my 04 gto and was wondering what all bolt i need and gaskets and just everything im gonna need??
Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Get some gm head gaskets and I'd recommend ARP head bolts. You don't have to get ARP head bolts, but you can reuse them if you ever have to take the heads off again. I'd get new water pump gaskets as a precaution. What are your cam and head specs? Did you get some good hardened pushrods? You really don't need a whole lot more. The minimum you will need is head gaskets and at least factory head bolts, if not ARPs.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 05JUDGE
Get so me gm head gaskets and I'd recommend ARP head bolts. You don't have to get ARP head bolts, but you can reuse them if you ever have to take the heads off again. I'd get new water pump gaskets as a precaution. What are your cam and head specs? Did you get some good hardened pushrods? You really don't need a whole lot more. The minimum you will need is head gaskets and at least factory head bolts, if not ARPs.
ok well i wil prolly get ARP head bolts bc there prolly the best, and ill get a ew water pump gasket. cam specs cam installed; duration@ .050 intake;232, exhaust; 234 and lobe sep is 114.0 the cam is the torquer V2 from TSP and the heads are Persision Racing fully CNC ported ls6 heads.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly the timing cover gasket and a new crank bolt since it is a TTY bolt (torque to yield....so one use only, like the head bolts). Since there is a head swap too, you will need an intake gasket set, head gaskets, water pump gaskets, timing cover gasket, and header/collector gaskets. High mile cars would benefit from a new oil pump and an adjustable double roller timing chain. Just my .02. Good luck with the swap, you will be pleased in the end.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by badpontiacs
Possibly the timing cover gasket and a new crank bolt since it is a TTY bolt (torque to yield....so one use only, like the head bolts). Since there is a head swap too, you will need an intake gasket set, head gaskets, water pump gaskets, timing cover gasket, and header/collector gaskets. High mile cars would benefit from a new oil pump and an adjustable double roller timing chain. Just my .02. Good luck with the swap, you will be pleased in the end.
Virtually all the gaskets on these motors are reusable if they don't get damaged. Header and intake gaskets are definately reusable. Everything you listed is normal to the old sb 350 motors. I'm just saying good inspection can go a long way with these newer motors. The only gasket that absolutely must be changed is the head gaskets. The oil pump and timing chain are good option, but the factory pump and chain are good for quite a bit more horsepower than a cam and head swap will produce. I've run factory pump and timing chain at well over 500rwhp with no issues. The crank bolt is definately a good purchase, however, my factory crank bolt is in its 3rd motor.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Had another question, What PN would I need to get a set of studs. TSP wanted to know if I had the long or short bolts, but I really don't want to take the heads off and have to wait for the studs to get here.

Talked to a friend and he was saying that the ARP-234-4317 should be the right set, but wanted to double check with you guys. Thanks again
Old 03-12-2010, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GTOdave
Had another question, What PN would I need to get a set of studs. TSP wanted to know if I had the long or short bolts, but I really don't want to take the heads off and have to wait for the studs to get here.

Talked to a friend and he was saying that the ARP-234-4317 should be the right set, but wanted to double check with you guys. Thanks again
Those should be correct. TSP should know what size you need if you told them you had an 04 GTO. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't though.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Ok cool, They told me that they needed to know if I had the long or short bolts then they'd ship them.

So after I get back from work me and my friend will take all the front of the engine off and get the cam ready to go in and everything buttoned up and just take the heads off when the studs get here. Then swap the heads and measure pushrod length and get those on order. Besides that there's not too much else to do till the studs get here
Old 03-12-2010, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GTOdave
Ok cool, They told me that they needed to know if I had the long or short bolts then they'd ship them.

So after I get back from work me and my friend will take all the front of the engine off and get the cam ready to go in and everything buttoned up and just take the heads off when the studs get here. Then swap the heads and measure pushrod length and get those on order. Besides that there's not too much else to do till the studs get here
Are you planning on running your car with just this cam installed without the heads or are you just taking everything apart and letting your car sit while you wait for the rest of the parts?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 05JUDGE
Those should be correct. TSP should know what size you need if you told them you had an 04 GTO. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't though.
not quite, it depends on the build date
Old 03-12-2010, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by superchargedgp
not quite, it depends on the build date
I didn't think about that. I think it's pre-May 04 they have the long bolts, and after May they had the short bolts.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Launching!

my car's manu date is 02/04..
Old 03-13-2010, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are getting head studs? It's a pain to get the driver side head on with the power brake unit in the way. I would just get the ARP bolts.

If you buy the Texas Speed basic head and cam swap kit, you have the option of getting ARP bolts. I would also get the GM MLS head gaskets (3.91" for the LS1). If your car was made in Feb 2004, it probably has the long and short bolts. Mine was made in Dec 2003 and it has the earlier style long and short bolts.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:38 AM
11 Second Club

With a manufacturing date of 2/04 it should be the long and short bolts.

Quick Reply: heads and cam 04 goat