Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO vs.Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004 | 01:35 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

The monte carlo rear + standard pontiac front end certainly isn't turning any heads.

Oh well, beats a blank I guess.
Old 03-05-2004 | 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

For the price range, I'll take a 300c. http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/d/chr..._overview.html

If the rumors are true about an 07 f-body, you are looking at it when you look at the GTO. The rumor slated it for that platform.
Old 03-06-2004 | 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ActionJack
I think the Grand Prix is the better looking just does not have rear wheel.
It is plain looking (in my opinion) but it is rear wheel drive. That's 3 things it has going for it, rear wheel drive+6spd. manual+LS1=fast enuff! just my opinon of course

Last edited by HAWKMAN_; 03-07-2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2004 | 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gluemaker
For the price range, I'll take a 300c. http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/d/chr..._overview.html

If the rumors are true about an 07 f-body, you are looking at it when you look at the GTO. The rumor slated it for that platform.

I'll take the GTO over that ugly beast! (my opinion, of course).

And the rumor's I've heard are a new platform that the GTO and TA / Camaro will share - not the current GTO platform.
Dan
Old 03-06-2004 | 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gluemaker

Looks like a kia grill and dodge magnum rest, could care less for some chisler.

Like I said were here to talk about GTOs and if you wanna waste oxygen talking about a 300c go do it on their forum.
Old 03-08-2004 | 03:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Man, I love the RS6. Every couple days or so, there's one that drives by my house. I look out my window, thinking it's a muscle car of some sort, but it's always that damn Audi. I can't believe the exhaust tone of that BEAST! Yikes. Of course I'd settle for the RS4 too!
Old 03-08-2004 | 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

At the www.gminsidernews.com site they have the Camaro scheduled for 2007 and introduced in 2006 on the GTO platform. And since the GTO is 2nd only to Vette and is Pontiac they are considering no Firebird and only the Camaro. The Camaro is still in the design phase and I hope it is done justice. The GTO does not look like American Muscle and is 7 years old in Australia. For the world economy that is great, an Australia car that Europe likes. Just do not label it GTO and sell it to Americans as American Muscle. That is crap.
Old 03-10-2004 | 09:07 AM
Teching In

The only thing they really have going for them are the LS1 and RWD. Other then that, its not really like a 'performance' car. Its not getting everyones attention and makeing people drool over it like the LS1 Fbodies and 03+ cobras did. Id rather buy a lil' Mustang GT over a GTO. It may have an Fbody motor, but it also looks like it weighs 4000+lbs.
Old 03-10-2004 | 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CasperLSX
Other then that, its not really like a 'performance' car. Its not getting everyones attention and makeing people drool over it like the LS1 Fbodies and 03+ cobras did. Id rather buy a lil' Mustang GT over a GTO. It may have an Fbody motor, but it also looks like it weighs 4000+lbs.

You are judging this by internet responses, I take it. Trust me, I've got BMW and Lincoln LS drivers checking it out - along with a Mercedes driver. I've got 'stang's and f-bodies trying to race me. This is with only 180 miles on mine. And everybody has been impressed with interior and exterior styling. I've said 'well, it's kind of plain compared to old firebirds and stuff' and people say no, it looks really nice and aggressive. And a number of compliments on the 'dull' wheels that many of the internet critics don't like. Just remember, like you said - it's not just a performance car. It's a comfortable daily driver w/ a muscle car motor. I'm thinking the term should be 'muscle sedan'.
Dan
Old 03-10-2004 | 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rschumacherfan1
You are judging this by internet responses, I take it. Trust me, I've got BMW and Lincoln LS drivers checking it out - along with a Mercedes driver. I've got 'stang's and f-bodies trying to race me. This is with only 180 miles on mine. And everybody has been impressed with interior and exterior styling. I've said 'well, it's kind of plain compared to old firebirds and stuff' and people say no, it looks really nice and aggressive. And a number of compliments on the 'dull' wheels that many of the internet critics don't like. Just remember, like you said - it's not just a performance car. It's a comfortable daily driver w/ a muscle car motor. I'm thinking the term should be 'muscle sedan'.
Dan
How about "Muscle Coupe"? I think the CTS-V is a "Muscle Sedan"

BTW, if the CTS-V had the GTO interior I would have that car in my driveway today!
Old 03-10-2004 | 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lil' Mustang GT over a GTO
just purchase a civic and call it a day.

I don't like the pontiac grand amness of it and its no trans am in style BUT....PLEASE.

engine for engine it is beter equipped than a trans am, and chassis for chassis it will kill one.

I've seen a TOP GEAR episode and the guy loves it and its handling. This same guy Pushed a Zonda, a Koenigsegg, a murcielago, 360 Modena, 575Maranello and just about anything else around this same track. AND HE STILL CALLED IT POWERFUL.

They have airplane run ways for straight line runs.

And sorry the new GTO is the SPORTS car that the f-bodys never were. IT WOULD WHIP A C4 AROUND ATRACK. (non-zr1)

Muscle cars don't have nice interiors or fuel injection or 6 speeds or IRS. the CTS-V is a luxury-sports-sedan.
Old 03-10-2004 | 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ActionJack
Just do not label it GTO and sell it to Americans as American Muscle. That is crap.
Because you don't like it? Now that is crap.
Old 03-10-2004 | 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CasperLSX
The only thing they really have going for them are the LS1 and RWD. Other then that, its not really like a 'performance' car. Its not getting everyones attention and makeing people drool over it like the LS1 Fbodies and 03+ cobras did. Id rather buy a lil' Mustang GT over a GTO. It may have an Fbody motor, but it also looks like it weighs 4000+lbs.
Take the engine out of it and it is not a performance car??!!?? Well D'uh. So you are saying that looks makes a performance car? That seems like a dumb statement to me.
Old 03-17-2004 | 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Excal
just purchase a civic and call it a day.

I don't like the pontiac grand amness of it and its no trans am in style BUT....PLEASE.

engine for engine it is beter equipped than a trans am, and chassis for chassis it will kill one.

I've seen a TOP GEAR episode and the guy loves it and its handling. This same guy Pushed a Zonda, a Koenigsegg, a murcielago, 360 Modena, 575Maranello and just about anything else around this same track. AND HE STILL CALLED IT POWERFUL.

They have airplane run ways for straight line runs.

And sorry the new GTO is the SPORTS car that the f-bodys never were. IT WOULD WHIP A C4 AROUND ATRACK. (non-zr1)

Muscle cars don't have nice interiors or fuel injection or 6 speeds or IRS. the CTS-V is a luxury-sports-sedan.
I missed this one. But I see it now.

Get a Civic? What an A$$ hole answer. I beleive he wrote a Mustang GT over the GTO. Pay attention....

The GTO would beat a Trans Am (I know you do not mean a WS6 or SS or Firehawk)? Or are you talking out your **** (that means butt).

Do not get me wrong..... I think the GTO has a nice engine and that it comes with a strut tower brace and easily accessible plugs and wires is great. I think all the commotion is over the design and the labelling.

But I would be glad to pull some road test info from the experts. Let's say Motortrend and others and see what they said about performance, acceleration, and what the numbers are. Then it will not be out your A$$ but from an objective and expert source.

One question I have been meaning to get answered is how much torque can the drive shaft and half axles handles on the GTO??? That I would like to know.
Here are my answers:

2004 GTO Review: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...to/index4.html

2000 Trans Am Review:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ird/index.html

2003 Cobra SVT:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ain/index.html

To put it plainly for you. The 2000 Trans Am did 0 to 60 in 5.0 seconds and the 1/4 in 13.5. (for 10 years these F-Bodys were beating Ford's Mustangs)
The GTO did 0 to 60 in 5.3 seconds and the 1/4 in 13.62. The older F-Body and LS1 faired better, wouldn't YOU say?
Now here is the F***D up part.
The Cobra SVT 2003 did the 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds and the qtr in under 13 seconds AND comes stock with a SC (supercharger). They are comparing it to a Vette! And it is showing the numbers!

Oh well. Let the new Yuppy GM owners have their small block V8 in their family sedan. I am afraid to see what the Camaro will be like in 2007.
Old 03-17-2004 | 10:21 PM
Launching!

well they wanted to make a sedan or bigger car that still performs. maybe not as good as the firebird or camaro, but somethin u can still get people into the back seat of. if they made it as big as the 95-96 impalas it would flop even worse. mercury tried to do that with the muradur or how ever u spell it and it flopped. i think the size is right. the styling isnt horrible or ugly, and the power and interior is defanently nice. this isnt suposed to replace the camaro or trans am and i think when the styling starts to change it will look real nice. i dont think its gonna look like that for the next 10 years. i bet they get new wheels at least in the next 2 year. we can always hope for a judge :-D. do you think the tac on the hood would still be nice these days?
Old 03-28-2004 | 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DANS LS1
No offense but the TA isnt coming back man, stop being close minded. I think the new GTO grows on you after awhile, I like it.
It's not about being closed minded the look of that care is ver boring, and if you think otherwise you are fooling yourself. I love the idea of the GTO, but the looks that it has would have been right there with the competition if it would have come out in the mid 90's. For that price I think you would be a fool not to go with a used c5 or even cross over to the new Cobra which will blow the door off it.
Old 03-28-2004 | 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TriShield
Because you don't like it? Now that is crap.
Actually, I do not dislike the GTO. I just beleive it cannot compare to the WS6 and is only comparable in that they both are RWD and have LS1.

My POINT is that the GTO is a Holden Manero and I beleive GM is playing on peoples emotions to buy the Holden Manero by using the name GTO because this name inspires nastalgia in many GTO and GTO 'Judge' fans.

The only disputes to this has been by current GTO owners that feel their car is being bashed or the salesmen at GM dealerships that have to sell and in one case he did not even own a Chevrolet but a 80 something Buick.

That is my point. "call it what it is a 'Holden Manero'".

Old 03-28-2004 | 09:11 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Here's another thought...

Since everyone is comparing looks of the WS6 to a GTO, why not compare the Formula to the GTO? The GTO we have this year is just the regular RWD, 2+2, LS1 coupe. No handling packages, no visual packages, just the only option. I feel the Formula is what signifies that in the Firebird line. When/if we get the Judge, we can then compare the Trans Am/WS6.

So the Formula vs GTO...
Formula is just as understated and laid back/plain. The interior is a million times better in the GTO compared to the Formula. The straight line performance is proven better in the Formula, but handling in the GTO is superior to the Formula. Braking is something I don't know as I don't know much about the GTO's/Monaro's braking system.

I think if Pontiac gave us a Judge with a LS6, people might be taking back some of their thoughts about a WS6 vs Judge comparo.
Old 03-28-2004 | 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Here's another thought...

Since everyone is comparing looks of the WS6 to a GTO, why not compare the Formula to the GTO? The GTO we have this year is just the regular RWD, 2+2, LS1 coupe. No handling packages, no visual packages, just the only option. I feel the Formula is what signifies that in the Firebird line. When/if we get the Judge, we can then compare the Trans Am/WS6.

So the Formula vs GTO...
Formula is just as understated and laid back/plain. The interior is a million times better in the GTO compared to the Formula. The straight line performance is proven better in the Formula, but handling in the GTO is superior to the Formula. Braking is something I don't know as I don't know much about the GTO's/Monaro's braking system.

I think if Pontiac gave us a Judge with a LS6, people might be taking back some of their thoughts about a WS6 vs Judge comparo.

As much as I like my WS6 I would have to agree that the interior on the GTO is nicer. I just think the two are too different to compare since they have totally different styling. I will have my WS6 for years I hope. In 2 to 30 years I will get another vehicle plus my WS6. I just do not know I will want a GTO.

But if we compared stock WS6 for 02' when new and stock GTO for 04' new I beleive the WS6 is a better handling and faster car. This is due to the GTO's weight and suspension even the the GTO has more HP. That is because it is a sedan and the WS6 is a sport coupe with stiffened suspension.
Old 03-28-2004 | 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

PONTIAC GTO

The cavi and the GTO are definitely not similar in terms of interior and exterior styling. People who argue that these two cars looks alike are either blind, misinformed, or have some sort of personal vendetta against the gto (possibly the cancellation of the fbods). The GTO is a fantastic car- its got a mature look (similar to BMW’s), have great performance (acceleration and handling), and have excellent fit and finish.

The fbods are dead because of their styling (some call it stupid) deal with it. The GTO was never seen as their replacement. Lastly the GTO name was never American- the new GTO IMHO is more deserving of the name than the old pontiac GTO. Unlike the old pontiac this new one has actually raced and will be raced in the FIA GTO races in Europe.

Quick Reply: GTO vs.Trans Am