Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

04 vs 05/06 pros cons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 vs 05/06 pros cons?

I have read quite a few threads about people considering a GTO

I am in the same boat. The Trans Am is getting up there, and I have to start considering jumping out before I am in too deep.

I always liked the GTO, but never was really crazy about them, I really liked the interior, so comfortable and large, plus you have the V-8 plus the 6spd

I was looking at fueleconomy.gov and it says that the 04 gets 16/26mpg and the 05/06 get 15/23 mpg

The 05-06 have the nicer rear valence and exhaust, the bigger brakes, and the 6.0

but on the contrary the 04 doesnt have the hood scoops and the 04s are much more plentiful and cheaper with around the same amount of miles

I am considering this for a daily driver

SO...
What are the benefits of a 05/06 over the 04, I have read about some suspension stuff, but anything else?

what would be needed to swap the exhaust from an 05/06 to a 04?

Im figuring the bumper would be a straight swap.

This is what I have in mind.

Buy an 04 silver GTO with the black interior, take off the rear spoiler, convert the rear to a 05/06, and get the SAP front bumper facia
Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Teching In

i had an 04 gto i loved it i had some work to it heads small cam it was a god dd and yes the 06 look better and you can find them in better condition but other than the hood and rear thats the only looks diff and 5.7 vs 6.0 with a lil work a 5.7 is just as good for a lot cheaper than buying a 05 or 06 but up to you
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks are very subjective. I like the single side exhaust as opposed to the split and lack of hood scoops on the '04. It is a more sophisticated car than a F-Bod and the lack of those features are more in tune with the Euro/BMW-type look of the car IMHO. The big *** GTO on the LS2 rear insert is about as appealing as a big GTO sticker on the windshield to me. If you're set on the split exhaust PFYC has an insert thing for the '04 bumper to do it. To each their own but I guess I'm not 19 anymore (when I would have liked a neon arrow pointing at me when I was driving my car ).

On to the main features.

'04:
LS1 (Power difference is there but becomes negligible when modded)
More sophisticated (and thus less cop attention)
Better gas mileage (even more with lean cruise enabled which is only on the '04s)
Cheaper price
I for one like the throttle cable over DBW
Does not have a radiator petcock
75mm TB and MAF
LS6 manifold which is a very good one
Brakes are smaller and altho I never had an issue with them I got a '05 front caliper set & upgraded
To many the '04 has best sounding stock exhaust of any car. GM spent more time on the exhaust system to bring it over than anything else. They brought an old school goat over to Australia and computer analyzed it to recreate the sound. It features two different types of mufflers to achieve that. Because of the huge outcry of people here in America that it wasn't a dual exhaust unless it looked like every 6 cyl car over here they gave up and just slapped the splits on the later years as well has gave it scoops.

'05-'06:
LS2, 18 more cubes
Larger brakes
Drive by wire
90mm TB and 85mm MAF
LS2 manifold which needs porting or a FAST to be really good
Stouter half & drive shafts (altho the stubs are the weak spot and aren't any better. Both stubs and half shafts should be upgraded if raced)
Some have 18" wheels which are nice
'06s have lighted wheel controls
'06s have IMHO better looking rear tail lights (I swapped mine out for them)

All years are prone to stock front radius rod and strut bushing failures as well as saggy rear springs. That said you can't go wrong with any of them so whatever floats your boat.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by svede1212
Looks are very subjective. I like the single side exhaust as opposed to the split and lack of hood scoops on the '04. It is a more sophisticated car than a F-Bod and the lack of those features are more in tune with the Euro/BMW-type look of the car IMHO. The big *** GTO on the LS2 rear insert is about as appealing as a big GTO sticker on the windshield to me. If you're set on the split exhaust PFYC has an insert thing for the '04 bumper to do it. To each their own but I guess I'm not 19 anymore (when I would have liked a neon arrow pointing at me when I was driving my car ).

On to the main features.

'04:
LS1 (Power difference is there but becomes negligible when modded)
More sophisticated (and thus less cop attention)
Better gas mileage (even more with lean cruise enabled which is only on the '04s)
Cheaper price
I for one like the throttle cable over DBW
Does not have a radiator petcock
75mm TB and MAF
LS6 manifold which is a very good one
Brakes are smaller and altho I never had an issue with them I got a '05 front caliper set & upgraded
To many the '04 has best sounding stock exhaust of any car. GM spent more time on the exhaust system to bring it over than anything else. They brought an old school goat over to Australia and computer analyzed it to recreate the sound. It features two different types of mufflers to achieve that. Because of the huge outcry of people here in America that it wasn't a dual exhaust unless it looked like every 6 cyl car over here they gave up and just slapped the splits on the later years as well has gave it scoops.

'05-'06:
LS2, 18 more cubes
Larger brakes
Drive by wire
90mm TB and 85mm MAF
LS2 manifold which needs porting or a FAST to be really good
Stouter half & drive shafts (altho the stubs are the weak spot and aren't any better. Both stubs and half shafts should be upgraded if raced)
Some have 18" wheels which are nice
'06s have lighted wheel controls
'06s have IMHO better looking rear tail lights (I swapped mine out for them)

All years are prone to stock front radius rod and strut bushing failures as well as saggy rear springs. That said you can't go wrong with any of them so whatever floats your boat.
I am somewhat in the same boat.

I do not plan on modding it at all, just keeping it stock, (have to prioritize and the 68 is higher on the list)

Anyways, I too like the 04 hood, and I didnt know about the lean cruise, which makes it even more desirable for me

I like the 06 rear end, (yes I like the split rear bumper, but I am indifferent about the GTO, I would like the Holden one, but I know it would probably be more expensive and change the styling.)

So it looks like I am going to be looking into an 04 then.

probably the only mods I will do is remove the spoiler, change to the 06 taillights rear bumper, exhaust outlets, and get that SAP front bumper.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

If you have an old goat take a listen to the stock '04 exhaust before you throw it away. It's subtle but very sweet sounding. If I hadn't modded mine for more power and needed 2½" pipes I would have kept it. If you get your car tuned (and you should) make sure the tuner knows how to enable lean cruise or there are threads on how to do it that you could take to him.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

04 has weaker rear end than 05/06. 05 has also wires for the JHP gauges if somebody really wants those :-D
Old 07-20-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have an old goat take a listen to the stock '04 exhaust before you throw it away. It's subtle but very sweet sounding. If I hadn't modded mine for more power and needed 2½" pipes I would have kept it. If you get your car tuned (and you should) make sure the tuner knows how to enable lean cruise or there are threads on how to do it that you could take to him.
I will look into that.

How is the exhaust plumbed on the 04?

single muffler with 2 inlets/outlets?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Death{AW}
04 has weaker rear end than 05/06. 05 has also wires for the JHP gauges if somebody really wants those :-D
04-06 all have identical rear ends. As well as the harness for the oil pressure battery voltage gauges. Which can be ordered through a number of vendors.

Some small differences that some people over look
04 Doesnt have door lock switch.
05/6 have faster seat motors.(Important if you have more than 1 passenger)

The 04 exhaust is mani's to resonater 2 in 2 out to 2 seperate mufflers with totl tips.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jprcrprv2
04-06 all have identical rear ends. As well as the harness for the oil pressure battery voltage gauges. Which can be ordered through a number of vendors.

Some small differences that some people over look
04 Doesnt have door lock switch.
05/6 have faster seat motors.(Important if you have more than 1 passenger)

The 04 exhaust is mani's to resonater 2 in 2 out to 2 seperate mufflers with totl tips.
lol what?

interesting on the exhaust part, anybody know of any pictures showing the pipes?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
I will look into that.

How is the exhaust plumbed on the 04?

single muffler with 2 inlets/outlets?
Two mufflers that look identical but are different types inside.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

I was talking about axles and gears. Sorry for not specifying :-D
Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Two mufflers that look identical but are different types inside.

thanks for that man.

So it seems like all you would have to do is re-route the tail pipe to the other side and keep everything else in the OE spot
Old 07-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Teching In

lol what?

interesting on the exhaust part, anybody know of any pictures showing the pipes?
No BS I couldnt believe it either. I owned an 06 for 3 yrs and when i got in an 04 for a test drive I noticed there was no door lock switch
Old 07-21-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jprcrprv2
No BS I couldnt believe it either. I owned an 06 for 3 yrs and when i got in an 04 for a test drive I noticed there was no door lock switch
wow, so you just have to use the keyfob?

well honestly, I rarely use the lock switch on the door panel
Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

wow, so you just have to use the keyfob?

well honestly, I rarely use the lock switch on the door panel
Correct. I've never once thought to myself, "Wow, I wish I could lock/unlock the doors with a button from inside the car."

As far as the exhaust, there is a lot of room under the rear end to split and route it to the passenger side.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Launching!

I was in the same boat when I purchased my GTO. I figured the 04 was cheaper and could be modded up. I ended up with an 05. I actually love the rear valence and exhaust. Looks wise its my favorite part of the car. I love the power too. Not really a big diff. 04's have smaller front brakes. Of course, some LS2's have problems drinking up oil. I don't know, I will say I love my GTO, glad I went with the LS2, but would take an LS1 as well. I can't wait to get home and drive it nearly everyday
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

I was in between as well but ended up with an 06. I love the hood scoops and rear valence. Stock 2.5 inch exhaust was a plus as i planned to mod. Wanted the larger bore as well for an ls3 top end. Wish I had found one with 18s but no biggie.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Launching!

^^^Same here, wish I had found an 06 with 18's. i also like the hood, also plan an LS3 top-end lol
Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Death{AW}
I was talking about axles and gears. Sorry for not specifying :-D
I covered that except you're thinking of the half shafts. The half shafts are a little smaller. The gears and axle stubs are the same. It's the axle stubs, not the half shafts, that are the weak points that usually break first.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

yea thats it :-D HEHE

Quick Reply: 04 vs 05/06 pros cons?