Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

05 / 06 gto

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 / 06 gto

In regards to the 05 and 06 GTOs how readily available are replacement parts? I plan to keep it close or completely stock. How well do they react to relative high mileage (100K+). I DD my car year round so I go through miles pretty fast. Thanks !
Old 10-03-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Body parts are rare and expensive. Most other parts are readily available but still rather expensive.

If maintained well, it's just like any other 100k car. Could be a complete bust or run perfectly.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Doesn't make GTOs sound to attractive. Hm
Old 10-03-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you want to drive a Mustang that's seen around every corner and there are hundreds of thousands of other Mustangs around then by all means go for it simply for the cheap parts.

If you want to drive a rare car that you barely see another on the road, then get a GTO but be prepared for the more expensive body parts.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM

I'm not worried about body parts, I'm not planning on crashing it to often. I'm more concerned on general maintenance and replacement parts that occasionally break.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 2006 GTO I bought new for 68k miles without any issues, other than the radiator cracking (common), but covered under warranty and my upper tensioner pulley went out, but those are cheap and readily available. Otherwise, some of the more common things happened to it, like sagging rear springs (throws off camber and more tires) and front radius rod bushings, although I can't recall if mine were actually out or just something I was prepared to get later on.

They are really reliable vehicles so long as you do maintenance (be prepared ALL fluids are synthetic though, as that can add up) and don't abuse it. manuals (6-speeds) are more prone to being hard on the drivelines, but didn't have too many issues on mine.

Don't worry about body parts too much, as unless you get in an accident, shouldn't need to replace them.

I sold mine in 2010 unfortunately, but ended up buying a 2004 purple one (love the color enough to have the LS1 and slightly more subtle look ), so I recommend them. I forgot how comfortable they are and other than the crappy stereo, love the interior and can spend hours in it. I would ONLY buy a 6-speed (and both mine were/are) or else I probably would've gotten bored; not that the car is bad, but a 4-speed would pizz me off (6-7 less mpg on the highway) and I like to shift gears and one more less 'automatic thing', since I like to drive my car and not be driven.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

theyre fun cars. i DD mine and i bought it new. very solid car overall imo.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

Great cars. Engine, drivetrane, and general maintenance parts are easy. Interior parts and exterior parts are next to impossible. Remember this is an Australian car, any body parts that a missing has to be ordered from there. Very expensive.

Mechanically, cheap though, its just another ls based car.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Launching!

These cars are inexpensive, so a lot of young people are getting in them and totaling them. As of right now, I see Gto part outs regularly. The well will dry up though.

Quick Reply: 05 / 06 gto