Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

The Last Ride Premier

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 03:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Last Ride Premier

I just returned home from the premier of The Last Ride and subsequent festivities. While the movie was predictable and the script wasn't that good, the acting was actually selling it. However, with all of the media hype, I expected to see more emphasis on the GTO. It was far from a commercial, but just not enough "great" car content. Additionally, the stunts were almost home-movie quality, which was par for course with the low budget. It seemed like a cookie-cutter movie that could have used virtually any sibling/generation jumping vehicle (Mustang, Charger, Corvette, Etc.) Pontiac fell extremely short with the vehicles on display. I was surprised to see only one modified 2004 GTO, and it was only modified for the movie using duct tape and make-shift brackets. The hood & the front bumper cover both had horrible fitment and obvious quality issues, and the dual exhaust was fake. The front end looked like a poor quality RMR knock-off. usually, GM is good about showing only quality vehicles. The wheels were 17" Motegi, which you see on most Cavaliers, Acuras and Celicas. But they do look good to me. (I will load some pics later.)

The highlight of the evening was the many clean GTOs that showed up. I spent well over an hour talking with various club members and I was utterly impressed. These owners are friendly, open to share ideas and suggestions for the 2004 GTO, and happy to pop their hoods for me. Meeting the club members made it all worth it!

IMO, if the Lifetime channel made a movie for men, this would be the result.

I would enjoy reading other opposite opinions once the movie is out. I would like to see other perspectives.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Terrible news.

I hope GM didn't blow all their allotted advertising money for the GTO on this film instead of creating catchy television spots and running them.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:05 AM
Teching In

The estimate is over $5 million on the entire project, including media. I just hope the movie appeals to someone, and they get good ratings.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That movie was brutal GM would have been better off spending their money on a GTO "infomercial". The modded GTO didn't do much for me either It's a shame.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looked like RICE in that movie....... Big time rice..... i hated the wheels and the front valence looked like rice and crap mixed......... i hated the hood also..... trying to copy the WS6............. Total crap movie and a waste of money.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
It looked like RICE in that movie....... Big time rice..... i hated the wheels and the front valence looked like rice and crap mixed......... i hated the hood also..... trying to copy the WS6............. Total crap movie and a waste of money.
I havn't seen the movie and don't expect much but didn't people want hood scoops in the first place? You are talking about the red GTO, if so that is the 05 GTO hood and 05 GTO rear bumper you saw.

I'll keep my 04 GTO thanks.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
I havn't seen the movie and don't expect much but didn't people want hood scoops in the first place? You are talking about the red GTO, if so that is the 05 GTO hood and 05 GTO rear bumper you saw.

I'll keep my 04 GTO thanks.
I'm thinking that the big flat racing splitter won't come on the stock car - but the bumper and wing probably is.
Dan

Last edited by DANSLS1GTO; 06-03-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Unhappy

I watched "The Last Ride" last night on USA...what a waste of an opportunity to really promote the GTO...very generic action and not enough emphasis on the car. The modded GTO and the movie was too ricey for my taste TFTF with a domestic car

Tony
Old 06-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Back in the staging lane

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Um...the GTO's had hoodscoops 30 years before the ws6 even came out.

Quick Reply: The Last Ride Premier