Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

gto drag strip ready

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gto drag strip ready

Hi, I just picked up an 06 gto in manual about a month ago. The car has intake, headers and a 93 octane tune. i was looking to run it at the strip however I do have a few questions. The car at the moment does have drag bags in the rear however it has a stock rear end, drive shaft, and axles. I wont be running it with slicks only the nitto invos its sitting on right now. Is there anything you recommend me to change before taking it to the track as I know these two piece driveshafts break. thanks
Old 03-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06goatNY
Hi, I just picked up an 06 gto in manual about a month ago. The car has intake, headers and a 93 octane tune. i was looking to run it at the strip however I do have a few questions. The car at the moment does have drag bags in the rear however it has a stock rear end, drive shaft, and axles. I wont be running it with slicks only the nitto invos its sitting on right now. Is there anything you recommend me to change before taking it to the track as I know these two piece driveshafts break. thanks
You should be fine. I would invest in drag radials for the future and a 1 peice driveshaft. Where in NY are you?
Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrBlueDevil14
You should be fine. I would invest in drag radials for the future and a 1 peice driveshaft. Where in NY are you?
i have nitto 555 but they are 275 and i dont know if that will fit on the stock rim. Im in staten island and i think i came across your instagram. Do you know another blue gto in long island because he was at englishtown last week and i talked to him before his runs.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Teching In

i have nitto 555 but they are 275 and i dont know if that will fit on the stock rim. Im in staten island and i think i came across your instagram. Do you know another blue gto in long island because he was at englishtown last week and i talked to him before his runs.
The one in the blue GTO is my friend Tommy. I also have a blue GTO. Funny i know a bunch of guys with GTOS's and G8's on Staten Island. My intstagram is Mrbluedevil14 if thats the one you came across. I wouldn't recommend 275 on the stock rim. I had 265 on it and it bulged bad. Better off getting aftermarket wheels that are wider so that you can run a bigger tire. Here's a LSX group we created for the tri-state area. There's a meet May 3rd if you're around

https://www.facebook.com/groups/419119251547097/

Last edited by MrBlueDevil14; 03-18-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:56 PM
Teching In

The one in the blue GTO is my friend Tommy. I also have a blue GTO. Funny i know a munch of guys with GTOS's and G8's on Staten Island. My intstagram is Mrbluedevil14 if thats the one you came across. I wouldn't recommend 275 on the stock rim. I had 265 on it and it bulged bad. Better off getting aftermarket wheels that are wider so that you can run a bigger tire. Here's a LSX group we created for the tri-state area. There's a meet May 3rd if you're around

https://www.facebook.com/groups/419119251547097/
i just joined the facebook group. theres only one gto i know on the island and its a 5.7 thats a few blocks away. i hardly see them out here.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 PM
Teching In

i just joined the facebook group. theres only one gto i know on the island and its a 5.7 thats a few blocks away. i hardly see them out here.
One guy has his GTO being worked on right now in PA, 2 others don't drive them in the winter, and the other 1 idk about. I live out on Long Island but go to Staten Island twice a month. I'm sure i'll run into you out there. Any plans for your GTO?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Teching In

One guy has his GTO being worked on right now in PA, 2 others don't drive them in the winter, and the other 1 idk about. I live out on Long Island but go to Staten Island twice a month. I'm sure i'll run into you out there. Any plans for your GTO?
Not sure about any plans because i daily it at the moment. im getting 8-9mpg here on the island. once i get a new daily ill probably start off with a cam. the only thing ive done to it so far was install a double din headunit. once the weather gets nicer im changing the clutch on it. the only problem im having right now is that the clutch pedal sticks when i get on it in the higher rpm range. i keep on changing the fluid every week to try and clean out the system. i heard its common.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Not sure about any plans because i daily it at the moment. im getting 8-9mpg here on the island. once i get a new daily ill probably start off with a cam. the only thing ive done to it so far was install a double din headunit. once the weather gets nicer im changing the clutch on it. the only problem im having right now is that the clutch pedal sticks when i get on it in the higher rpm range. i keep on changing the fluid every week to try and clean out the system. i heard its common.
Definitely get a daily especially since your on SI lol. If your thinking about doing a cam a bunch of us bring our cars to a tuner in PA. Post up about the clutch on ls1gto.com in the drivetrain section
Old 03-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Definitely get a daily especially since your on SI lol. If your thinking about doing a cam a bunch of us bring our cars to a tuner in PA. Post up about the clutch on ls1gto.com in the drivetrain section
would you happen to know how much an average tune would run?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:28 PM
Teching In

He charges $350. Most other shops will charge 4-500. Here's his page https://www.facebook.com/CompleteStreetPerformance
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you drag and your car hooks you'll want to invest in at least axle stubs and potentially half shafts as well (might as well get anti-wheel hop axles then). Wheel hop can snap anything in the driveline and axle stubs are a major pain if they snap off in the diff. I would do those first and invest in a used half shaft as a spare to change at the track if you snap one of those. That is fairly easy and will save you the tow cost home.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:20 PM
Teching In

He charges $350. Most other shops will charge 4-500. Here's his page https://www.facebook.com/CompleteStreetPerformance
ok thanks $350 sounds good
Old 03-19-2015, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by svede1212
If you drag and your car hooks you'll want to invest in at least axle stubs and potentially half shafts as well (might as well get anti-wheel hop axles then). Wheel hop can snap anything in the driveline and axle stubs are a major pain if they snap off in the diff. I would do those first and invest in a used half shaft as a spare to change at the track if you snap one of those. That is fairly easy and will save you the tow cost home.
ill definitely look into those in the near future when i put on stickier tires. at the moment my tires are pretty worn and i dont expect it to grip that much. previous owner told me he had slicks on the car and ran a 12.2 without breaking anything however i prefer to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Teching In

which axle stubs do you recommend. thanks
Old 03-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Teching In

which axle stubs do you recommend. thanks
Yes definitely upgrade the rear. Gforce is a great company for that

http://www.shop.gforce1320.com/
Old 03-22-2015, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Driveshaft Shop is another alternative. You can do fine with level 1 of either brand whichever is cheaper. The only thing I can say is don't get the two piece stubs if gForce even still offers them anymore. I snapped the bolts that hold the two halves together on the second launch I had at the strip with them. The car hooked and I didn't even move. I had my son who's in tool and die pin them with new bolts so it should fine now but the design as it came was inferior and he didn't offer me much support.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Driveshaft Shop is another alternative. You can do fine with level 1 of either brand whichever is cheaper. The only thing I can say is don't get the two piece stubs if gForce even still offers them anymore. I snapped the bolts that hold the two halves together on the second launch I had at the strip with them. The car hooked and I didn't even move. I had my son who's in tool and die pin them with new bolts so it should fine now but the design as it came was inferior and he didn't offer me much support.
thanks for the heads up ill make sure to look out for those
Old 03-22-2015, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate the thought of 2-piece stubs. If you have to go with budget parts, dss is the better manufacturer. They can't compete with my hollow 300m units, but if you can't spend the money, they are your best choice.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
I hate the thought of 2-piece stubs. If you have to go with budget parts, dss is the better manufacturer. They can't compete with my hollow 300m units, but if you can't spend the money, they are your best choice.
Hindsight is 20/20 . Those two piece stubs were doomed fro the beginning. It started with him sending me two of the same side and it took two weeks to get a turn around to the right part. Despite pictures showing they were the same size I had to wait until he received the wrong one back before he would send me the correct one. Lesson learned. DSS had fantastic support years after buying their drive shaft
Old 03-24-2015, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hindsight is 20/20 . Those two piece stubs were doomed fro the beginning. It started with him sending me two of the same side and it took two weeks to get a turn around to the right part. Despite pictures showing they were the same size I had to wait until he received the wrong one back before he would send me the correct one. Lesson learned. DSS had fantastic support years after buying their drive shaft
Yes, dss is definitely more reliable from what I've seen. I made my own after being disappointed with the ones Chris sold me. You might remember those when I first introduced them on the other forum.

I tried and looked at the idea of a two piece and the cost savings is huge. In the end, I still won't bring myself to making a two piece.

Quick Reply: gto drag strip ready