Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Stainless Works Catback (56k ownage!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Works Catback (56k ownage!)

Installed today by the folks at Stainless Works. Drove home in absolute bliss. This is everything i wanted in a catback and then some.

To start, i had a Magnaflow catback on my previous ride (96 LT1 TA) and enjoyed that sound. For the GTO i wanted something unique and just plain mean. Chambered exhaust gets it done. This system is louder than stock, with a mean deep rumble. When you let the motor whine the tone is a sweet V8 that still carries alot of the GTO tone but with more bark and bite. Drone is damn near minimal but still there slightly at highway speed. After hearing it from the outside it actually seems louder on the inside. Hard to believe, but true. It gets you pumped, like your goats soul egging you to kill everything on the road.
Of note for the A4 guys keep in mind what a catback will do in terms of loud. Because you can't pick a higher gear to quiet things down when you pass a cop or creep home late at night this may be too loud for you.
Also, the tips are gorgeous. The standard Stainless Works tip looks great but for you guys that like twin pipes this is what you can expect.

As for stainless works the guys there are terrific. Quality work, service. This is a great place to do business with and great products to own. I recommend them

NO SOUND CLIPS AVAILABLE, sorry. Speak up if you northern OH guys have a vid, i'll let you get some footage. All i got is pics, sorry car is dirty, more to come.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Old 09-21-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been looking at their catbacks for a while. High quality stuff!!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Here are some sound clips of the SW exhaust. Also has the SLP loudmouth for comparison. I didn't rev the crap out of it so it may seem a little quieter than the loud mouth.

Overall tone is smooth, no rasp, and very sweet in the upper rpms.

Enjoy, check post #19
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6667
Old 09-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Launching!

Can the tips be pulled up closer to the bumper cutout, or is that how they have to hang?
Old 09-21-2004, 03:52 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So it's more or less a GMMG setup... Very nice.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Well, you could get the tips slightly highter but the problem is using 3in pipes and coming around the diff to get mandrel bends makes it hard. I've gotten under there and there is some room to work but not much.
So how they hang is how the system is designed. A plus to the deal is no chance of heat discoloration of my rear facia.

When i get the LTs and cats i may have them tweak it up maybe a half inch if they can.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great lookin' GTO & exhaust!

Al Noe and his crew are GREAT to deal with. Not entirely GTO related (I have their F-body longtube headers), but I must attest to Al's incredible helpfulness and superior attitude EVERY time I call StainlessWorks.

Great headers, great customer service, and great prices. Since buying my headers, I have gone back to them for 2 mufflers, 2 resonators, a boatload of clamps, and a few other goodies for my various car projects (Firehawk, GTP, others....).

Two BIG thumbs UP!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Launching!

I cant find on there site where it lists the tips that you have. I only see the single oval and the 64-65 style splitter tips.

How much was the cat-back with that tip option, cause I like those a whole lot better than the other two options.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Tips are not listed on the SW site. I told Al Noe the general manager what i wanted and he had those. If you give them a call and mention the IBM GTO of Adams that they did about a month ago they'll know. I agree with you that the rolled edge twin tips looks the best IMO.

Cost was the same $699 for awesome quality, 304 Stainless, and great service.

Quick Reply: Stainless Works Catback (56k ownage!)