Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Any experience with skip shift eliminator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 02:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any experience with skip shift eliminator?

Does anybody have any experience with the skip shift eliminator kit on the GTO yet? The skip shift has an annoying habit of surprising you when you don't expect it. Shift into 4th gear at 15-19 mph (as explained in the manual), which is probably not even 1500 RPM? While the LS1 has the beans to handle it, it's still pretty ridiculous. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Only mod I've done to my car. Ordered it from LS1speed.com (they're a sponsor here>). The skip shift isn't near as intrusive as it is on many other cars - I only had it engage once where I was actually shifting (although when i'm in traffic and staying in first it would come on - doesn't obviously bother me).
When you put the eliminator on the lights on the dash still come on - it just locks the solenoid from engaging.
I even had it on the car when I took it in to have the TSB for the 'knock' or 'thunk' in the rear end fixed - didn't have anything said to me about it.
Dan
Old 04-25-2004, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

I spent $0.19 at Radio Shack and got a resistor. I stuck it in the plug and then heated some shrink tube I had around the assembly. Zip tied it out of the way and it's been perfect.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately worth the $40... its was sooooo annoying! I got mine from Jegs... it was the one for a fbody.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
Only mod I've done to my car. Ordered it from LS1speed.com (they're a sponsor here>). The skip shift isn't near as intrusive as it is on many other cars - I only had it engage once where I was actually shifting (although when i'm in traffic and staying in first it would come on - doesn't obviously bother me).
When you put the eliminator on the lights on the dash still come on - it just locks the solenoid from engaging.
I even had it on the car when I took it in to have the TSB for the 'knock' or 'thunk' in the rear end fixed - didn't have anything said to me about it.
Dan

what kind of problem did you have with your rear?, they arent as weak as the reg f-body 10 bolt are they?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The problem was the rear differential carrier was hitting the chassis / unibody as the car would squat for launch. The TSB is to add a 'stopper' between these 2 - it's rubber or urethane or something. It stops the sound as well as seeming to help prevent some of the wheel hop if you get the tires spinning.
Dan
Old 07-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Teching In

COOlPC1, how do you exactly do that, and which resistor do I need. Thanks alot!!
Old 07-21-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn why did they have to do that to the GTO's.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brutusbeast
COOlPC1, how do you exactly do that, and which resistor do I need. Thanks alot!!
1/2 watt 2.2K Ohm resistor. Works great.

2_wacko, do what to the GTO? You mean the fact that they made it superior to the F-Body? I traded in a 2002 Z28, linked below, and there isn't a single aspect of the GTO that isn't an improvement over the LS1 F-Body. And the interior? The GTO is so, so much nicer to be in than the F-Body, it feels like the GTO cost twice as much when you drive it. I don't miss the Z28 at all, it's a dinosaur compared to the GTO.

http://home.comcast.net/~bartalane/
Old 07-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Default My very first mod

I installed a pre-purchased CAGS eliminator before I even drove the GTO for the very first time after it was delivered to my house.

I still get the skip shift prompt from time to time but I have never been locked out of 2nd and will never go back. It is a very worthwhile mod and takes less than 5 minutes to install.
Attached Thumbnails Any experience with skip shift eliminator?-skipshiftmod-012.jpg   Any experience with skip shift eliminator?-skipshiftmod-009.jpg  
Old 07-21-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
Damn why did they have to do that to the GTO's.
In order to save $1k from the purchase price of the M6's. $30 kit to save $1k - I'll take it thank you very much.
Dan
Old 07-21-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think almost everyone with a 6 speed car has some form of CAGS eliminator whether it be the Radio Shack way or the nice unit.

It is the same unit from the F-Body and same install. And I think I can safely say that all of us who've done it are considerably happier.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1COOLPC
1/2 watt 2.2K Ohm resistor. Works great.

2_wacko, do what to the GTO? You mean the fact that they made it superior to the F-Body? I traded in a 2002 Z28, linked below, and there isn't a single aspect of the GTO that isn't an improvement over the LS1 F-Body. And the interior? The GTO is so, so much nicer to be in than the F-Body, it feels like the GTO cost twice as much when you drive it. I don't miss the Z28 at all, it's a dinosaur compared to the GTO.

http://home.comcast.net/~bartalane/

Well I also traded a Z28 for a GTO! Then traded It right the F**k back for my Ws6, You try to defend it all you want but I hated the car was the biggest waste of my time and money I have ever made the mistake of doing!
Old 07-24-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Uhh right! Where do I begin?
Old 07-24-2004, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
Uhh right! Where do I begin?

Begin with driving that terd down to the lacal pontiac dealer for a trade on a 05 or an f-body!!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If indeed you did trade a z28 for a GTO - then go back to a WS6 - then you are only interested in one of 2 things. Looks or pure out straight line acceleration. If you take any other factor into consideration the GTO wins by a landslide.
Dan
Old 07-26-2004, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DANSLS1GTO
If indeed you did trade a z28 for a GTO - then go back to a WS6 - then you are only interested in one of 2 things. Looks or pure out straight line acceleration. If you take any other factor into consideration the GTO wins by a landslide.
Dan

Exactly I own one of each and the GTO wins everything hands down except maybe looks (which I like) and straight line acceleration.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

Originally Posted by FattdaddyWS6
Begin with driving that terd down to the lacal pontiac dealer for a trade on a 05 or an f-body!!
Hey Rocket Scientist. Take a look at my signature! You'll see my "terd" sits right next to an F-Body in the garage.

You know, one of those superbly assembled Canadian built supercars with warping brake rotors, crappy power window motors, dash long enough to land a 747 on, interior build quality of a Geo, uncomfortable hump in my passenger floorwell for the catalytic converter, non-existent power hatch release, weak 7&5/8ths 10 bolt rear end, creaking T-Topped fine piece of automotive sculpture known as an F-Body.

Oh, my Camaro ran 13.7's stock, my GTO was quicker! Hardly a "terd" that I will be driving back to my "lacal" Pontiac dealer to trade in anytime soon.

All this coming from someone who's testament to an F-Body has a modification list that consists an SLP lid, K&N filter, and eventually a set of Pacesetter Long Tubes...once he bullies enough kids in the lunch line for their milk money.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:28 AM
Teching In

You know, one of those superbly assembled Canadian built supercars with warping brake rotors, crappy power window motors, dash long enough to land a 747 on, interior build quality of a Geo, uncomfortable hump in my passenger floorwell for the catalytic converter, non-existent power hatch release, weak 7&5/8ths 10 bolt rear end, creaking T-Topped fine piece of automotive sculpture known as an F-Body.

MXR, that is the best description of an F Body I have read in a long time! LOL! You just described my 1994 Chevy Camaro perfectly, a car that I still own, still love dearly, and drive daily so my GTo gets only a weekend workout. My Camaro's power window stopped working 2 years after I bought it. What a POS!

I doubt if anyone here really believes Mr. fat daddy actually had the dinero to buy a GTO. Maybe a die cast model from Toys-R-Us! If you believe him then I have another story to tell you. Nicole Kidman, Lindsay Lohan, and myself had the most awesome menage-a-trois last night!!!

ha ha ha
Old 07-28-2004, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
Hey Rocket Scientist. Take a look at my signature! You'll see my "terd" sits right next to an F-Body in the garage.

Oh, my Camaro ran 13.7's stock, my GTO was quicker! Hardly a "terd" that I will be driving back to my "lacal" Pontiac dealer to trade in anytime soon.

All this coming from someone who's testament to an F-Body has a modification list that consists an SLP lid, K&N filter, and eventually a set of Pacesetter Long Tubes...once he bullies enough kids in the lunch line for their milk money.
Slow down there tough guy! This is not a collage english class so spelling isn't something I check eight times! As for my intelligence that you question merely on one misspelled word than you don't know me! You see I have a PHD in Nursing (Masters) and I currently work as a first nurse assistant (works directly with surgeons during surgery)! So I fell just because you own a couple of cars doesn't give you the ability too judge intelligence! Secound off your post was very hypocritical, see you can write about how GTO is good this, great that. But, your f-body is bad this, sucks that you get the point I hope seeing as you are so intellectually superior to me! But my views are different so you automatically think that I'm a street thug or bashing your GTO. As for my mod list that has all I've had time for in the last 45 days or so since I got the F-body back. And if they are so great why does three of my LOCAL dealers have 5 or more in thier lots just sitting!

Quick Reply: Any experience with skip shift eliminator?