Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Need advice on '04 GTO purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on '04 GTO purchase

Hi-
Please excuse all the noob questions, but I'm planning on getting a '04 GTO this week and could use some help in getting the best possible price.

What are all of these discounts that everyone is talking about?

What is GMS?

I know there is a $3500 rebate, I'm going to try to see what kind of deal I can get and do the 0% GMAC financing during the upcoming 72hr. sale.

For someone who has no family or other connection to GM, any advice on how to get the best possible price would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Taka
Old 09-27-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

GMS = GM Family discount. If you're not related to anyone that works for GM or their affiliates, you're not eligable.

The only "big" discount available is the 3500 off with GMAC financing. There's also some dealers offering up to 4000 off (Houston area, Detroit area, etc.). Then if you have a GM credit card, you can take some cash off there as well. There's also some dealer certificates worth 500 each, that the dealer can apply. I think they're allowed to use up to two per vehicle.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Actually GMS= General Motors SUPPLIER discoount program. I bought 2 vehicles thru this program when I worked for my previous employer. It is my understanding that the price is GM employee price + 4%. If you have family that works for general motors I believe you are eligible for employee pricing which is better than supplier discounts. the GMS price is still a very good price.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Teching In

Brains, sierra-
Thanks for the info. How do you get the GMS- does your relative have to put your name in for some sort of certification? I guess that's not happening for me.

As for dealers doing $4k off, any names, or should I just start calling the Houston and Detroit dealers? I'm in the Philadelphia area. If that's where the deals are, I'll go there for a car if I have to.

Taka
Old 09-27-2004, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

In Houston, call Lawrence Marshall (.com) ... They had it advertised in the Houston Chronicle... As for Detroit, just call around..
Old 09-27-2004, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cleanerPA
Brains, sierra-
Thanks for the info. How do you get the GMS- does your relative have to put your name in for some sort of certification? I guess that's not happening for me.

As for dealers doing $4k off, any names, or should I just start calling the Houston and Detroit dealers? I'm in the Philadelphia area. If that's where the deals are, I'll go there for a car if I have to.

Taka
I'm on the other side of PA and am starting to get some nice numbers. I'm down to $26,500 with a couple of dealers. One that I talked to that was farther than I wanted to travel is C.Harper in Belle Vernon (I think). I believe they have 14 GTO's in stock. Check them out on gmbuypower. They were giving some nice numbers to me. Good luck!

-Mike
Old 09-27-2004, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cleanerPA
Brains, sierra-

Taka
in order to qualify for the GMsupplier discount program you have to work for a company that is an affiliate of GM. Example, I used to work for Dow Chemical and they are a supplier to GM so GM gives Dow employees a supplier discount. I believe the supplier discount is not available to the general public. You have to fill out forms and fax in a copy of a company badge and a few other things. They then mail you the forms in the mail that you take to the dealer. Beck and Masten Pontiac/GMC and David Taylor Pontiac/GMC both quoted me $25,690 on a 2004 GTO with a 6 speed. this is exactly $7500 off the msrp.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

I just picked up 04 gto and paid $26,600 give or take. I havent thought twice about it. But I think the $3500 is over with 9/30. Chances are they will keep it going. Sure hope they dont raise it.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by transam8
I'm on the other side of PA and am starting to get some nice numbers. I'm down to $26,500 with a couple of dealers. One that I talked to that was farther than I wanted to travel is C.Harper in Belle Vernon (I think). I believe they have 14 GTO's in stock. Check them out on gmbuypower. They were giving some nice numbers to me. Good luck!

-Mike
I'm in the Pittsburgh area as well. C. Harper is about 30 min. from me. I haven't checked them out yet, but North Star in Cranberry had 15 the last time I checked their inventory. Bowser Pontiac in Pleasant Hills has another 12. #1 Cochran has a boatload as well. Several of the other area dealers that have 2 or 3 have been more resistant to discounting the GTO. I'm willing to sit and wait until mid-October or so and see what further discounts are applied.

Quick Reply: Need advice on '04 GTO purchase