Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

NEW GTO Driveshafts available!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEW GTO Driveshafts available!

We now have a larger selection of driveshafts to choose from for your Goat. After receiving various requests, we now offer aluminum and carbon fiber shafts for varying power levels and budgets. More information and pricing at: http://www.bmrfabrication.com/GTO.htm

I will be out of town until the 24th an unable to view this forum, please email your tech questions to Frank at Tech-help@BmrFabrication.com or call 813-986-9302.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 01-12-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

OMG I have to get a carbon fiber drive shaft just so I can brag about having a carbon fiber drive shaft! Darn decent pricing too... I can deal with that.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great writeup about the driveshafts. What about those of us who have purchased your old style driveshaft. Which one is that? I thought it was chromoly or was I mistaken? What are the HP and rpm ratings of your old driveshaft which used to be the only one available?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Mmm, carbon fiber...
Old 01-13-2005, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Yea,what gtodoug just asked above.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
We now have a larger selection of driveshafts to choose from for your Goat. After receiving various requests, we now offer aluminum and carbon fiber shafts for varying power levels and budgets. More information and pricing at: http://www.bmrfabrication.com/GTO.htm

I will be out of town until the 24th an unable to view this forum, please email your tech questions to Frank at Tech-help@BmrFabrication.com or call 813-986-9302.
Some information is incorrect on the BMR web site about the drive shaft speed.

The following is info from the site.

"At 130 mph in 3rd gear, an automatic car will be at 5800 rpm. This is the same rpm the driveshaft is spinning however in overdrive at the same mph, engine rpm goes down but driveshaft rpm goes up to 6200 rpm."

This is not true the drive shaft speed is dependant entierly on the speed of the rear tires. The drive shaft speed is 3.46 times greater than the half shaft speed. Shifting to overdrive unless you are spinning the tires on the shift will not result in a higher drive shaft speed for a given vehicle speed. There for a 3.46:1 rear ratio car should be able to go 143 mpg with the 3.0 inch steel shaft and 138 with the 3.0 inch aluminum shaft.

Also I would like to know how you calculate the critical speed of the drive shaft.

I would also like to say that your product looks to be very hight quality, and I plan on purchasing a shaft in the near future. I just want to be an informed consumer.

Last edited by Greg04GOAT; 01-16-2005 at 09:26 AM. Reason: post looks to negative
Old 01-16-2005, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Greg04GOAT
Some information is incorrect on the BMR web site about the drive shaft speed.

The following is info from the site.

"At 130 mph in 3rd gear, an automatic car will be at 5800 rpm. This is the same rpm the driveshaft is spinning however in overdrive at the same mph, engine rpm goes down but driveshaft rpm goes up to 6200 rpm."

This is not true the drive shaft speed is dependant entierly on the speed of the rear tires. The drive shaft speed is 3.46 times greater than the half shaft speed. Shifting to overdrive unless you are spinning the tires on the shift will not result in a higher drive shaft speed for a given vehicle speed. There for a 3.46:1 rear ratio car should be able to go 143 mpg with the 3.0 inch steel shaft and 138 with the 3.0 inch aluminum shaft.

Also I would like to know how you calculate the critical speed of the drive shaft.

I would also like to say that your product looks to be very hight quality, and I plan on purchasing a shaft in the near future. I just want to be an informed consumer.
Actually I think it's the other way around the driveshaft speed is slower than the halfshaft speed because the gears are multiplying the driveshaft speed coming in then going to the halfshafts,hope that helps
Old 01-16-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Nope, driveshaft is spinning faster than half shafts. one rotation of the half shafts for every 3.46 rotations of the driveshaft. That is why when you go numerically higher in gears the engine has to spin more rpm to make the car go the same speed. because it takes more rotations of the driveshaft to turn the halfshaft's once.

Quick Reply: NEW GTO Driveshafts available!