Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Potential problem with door locks

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Potential problem with door locks

I just wanted to share something I learned from my dealership...

Take care when exiting the vehicle not to push the drivers side door lock actuator down as you exit the vehicle (the one on the door... NOT the one on your remote). One of the Dealership porters did that on mine and it broke.

The locking rod inside the door is threaded and is attached to the plastic piece (the part you see move up and down indicating locked or unlocked) by a plastic retainer clip. The locking rod does not protrude all the way into the plastic piece that you can see so one heavy push will allow the metal threads to push deeper into the plastic. Once this occurs the retainer is "stripped" and no longer properly locates the part.

The dealer ordered me up a new one and I expect it soon. If you happened to break your own and wanted a cheap fix some epoxy would take care of it easily. Just plan on buying a new plastic piece if you had to remove your door panel later on.

Always lock the drivers door with the remote on vehicle exit.

Cory
Old 01-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea the locks on the GTO's are really weird..... I dont like them much at all...but you get used to it!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

Have either of you experienced pressing the lock button on the keyfob and the horn beeps three times very rapidly. And it seems one of the doors wont lock. I had to start the car, turn it off, shut the doors again and then it worked. I opened and closed the doors but the passenger side door just would not lock, and like I said everytime I hit the lock button it would beep three rapid beeps. Im wondering if I have an issue with the security system.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onyx_rock
Have either of you experienced pressing the lock button on the keyfob and the horn beeps three times very rapidly. And it seems one of the doors wont lock. I had to start the car, turn it off, shut the doors again and then it worked. I opened and closed the doors but the passenger side door just would not lock, and like I said everytime I hit the lock button it would beep three rapid beeps. Im wondering if I have an issue with the security system.
I haven't seen that happen yet. Although my Fiance was very surprised and a little bit pissed off when she tried to drop her mom off and they couldn't figure out how to get the doors open... They still had the car in gear! Wouldn't open until they put it in park. When she first explained it it was like they were trapped inside the car. Truth was she was trying to drop her mom at the curb with the car in gear. I figured that one out pretty quickly after she finally fully explained what happened.

In another instance I had to actually read the owners manual (The HORROR!!) to figure out why the passenger door wouldn't always unlock when I tried from the remote. Answer... because it doesn't work like the F-bodies or other GM products I've driven. I was pushing twice for the passenger door and it would sometimes work and sometimes not. Wasn't a problem at all. Just operator error. You have to hold it for like 2 seconds and they both unlock.

Maybe this post will spare someone else some embarassment

Cory
Old 01-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Teching In

well luckly i havent had any problems w/ my remote or locks yet... well i take that back i tried to drop my g/f out in front of target and it took us both a min. to figure out how to unlock the doors...but people say the range on the remote sucks but i unlocked my car about 20yrds away...but i like how the remote unlocks both doors at the same time unlike my grand am
Old 01-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Teching In

As a locksmith, I must say this is the worst design i've ever seen, hell when I got my '04 I could'nt figure these locks out! And don't loose a key $$$$$$$.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

It truly is a "break"-away design I guess that makes it harder to steal, though

Cory
Old 01-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Teching In

My passenger side lock was broken when I bought the vehicle. Had no idea till a buddy tried to unlock the door from the inside and the lock just came right off. Had the part ordered on Dec. 28th and it came in yesterday. Tomorrow the lock will be replaced.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:38 AM
Launching!

Exclamation

That's a feature so you don't walk away from your Goat thinking it's locked and it isn't. Basically the security system makes sure that ALL doors are closed completely before arming. It drove me crazy for about 4 months. When you get that horn honking/light flashing, just hit the unlock (may have to do it twice), check that all your doors are completely closed then lock it again. No restart is necessary.

J3
Old 02-04-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CHarris
I haven't seen that happen yet. Although my Fiance was very surprised and a little bit pissed off when she tried to drop her mom off and they couldn't figure out how to get the doors open... They still had the car in gear! Wouldn't open until they put it in park. When she first explained it it was like they were trapped inside the car. Truth was she was trying to drop her mom at the curb with the car in gear. I figured that one out pretty quickly after she finally fully explained what happened.

In another instance I had to actually read the owners manual (The HORROR!!) to figure out why the passenger door wouldn't always unlock when I tried from the remote. Answer... because it doesn't work like the F-bodies or other GM products I've driven. I was pushing twice for the passenger door and it would sometimes work and sometimes not. Wasn't a problem at all. Just operator error. You have to hold it for like 2 seconds and they both unlock.

Maybe this post will spare someone else some embarassment

Cory
You can reach around and pull up on the door lock when the car is in gear and it will unlock the doors. . . . Just FYI
Old 02-08-2005, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TrueBlueGTO
That's a feature so you don't walk away from your Goat thinking it's locked and it isn't. Basically the security system makes sure that ALL doors are closed completely before arming. It drove me crazy for about 4 months. When you get that horn honking/light flashing, just hit the unlock (may have to do it twice), check that all your doors are completely closed then lock it again. No restart is necessary.

J3
Thanks J3
That was buggin the **** out of me.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:44 PM

Default passanger door stays locked.will open onlybif I hold the key fob unlock

Thanks J3
That was buggin the **** out of me.
My passanger door stays locked always and its the #1 pain in my a$$...if i time it rite..hit unlock onvtge fob twice I can quickly open it..but keys dont work..lock stays locked..any suggestions?. .shop says its a selenoid but Im sure the awnser is here somewhere.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Teching In

You can set the locks and how they function via the menu button. There's all sorts of info available with the key on the off and on positions...

Quick Reply: Potential problem with door locks