Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

For grins, my stock 05 dyno results...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For grins, my stock 05 dyno results...

Bone stock (ok ok, TR-55's and some subframe bushings, but those dont count) with 2900 miles.

342whp/348tq, three runs but no cooldown. (was 30something cars to dyno in one day, no time for long cooldowns)
Attached Thumbnails For grins, my stock 05 dyno results...-dyno-mar-26-dyno-1-3-small.jpg  
Old 04-04-2005, 03:06 PM

Very nice! What have you got planned for power mods?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Teching In

I like those numbers.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Wow that's only a 14% (rounding up) driveline loss with HP and 13% with Tq. Show's you how efficient the 05 GTO's tranny in. Isn't 20% more the norm for driveline loss?
Old 04-04-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

I've already got one 'mod' done. Finished it the other night even.

The intake pipe is made from a 90° 4" ID bend, an 8" section of 4" OD aluminum tube and a 22° 4" ID bend along with a handfull of T-bolt clamps. I secured the MAF by using a smaller clamp and cranked the thing on so it more or less compressed the rubber around the flange on the MAF. As far as I can tell their are no leaks. The filter is a 6" ID K&N filter (5" long) mounted on one of my custom billet 'velocity stack' intake horns. The intake horn clamps on in place of the stock airbox directly to the MAF and has a rounded and tapered shape to smooth incoming airflow. (I have 2 left, I had 4 made.)

As far as power, the seat of the pants dyno tells me it pulls a good bit harder from 4500 to 6500 instead of the feeling of power falling off. I'm working on using the stock airbox to make a heat shield for the side and back of the filter and to help direct air to the filter area.

I plan on adding some LT's as soon as some of the direct fit 05 stuff is available. I'm waiting on a set of custom ZE Forged 18x8 & 18x9 wheels which i'm going to mount some meaty BFG's on most likely. Becides LT's and the intake i'll probably have it tuned and go from there for awhile. As money permits, i'll beef up the drivetrain and work on the suspension. Its a daily use car and probably wont see the track a whole lot, but I do want to spank on some 'stangs so every little bit helps.
Attached Thumbnails For grins, my stock 05 dyno results...-intake_finished2.jpg   For grins, my stock 05 dyno results...-intake1.jpg  
Old 04-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Teching In

i want a cai for my 05 gto....what is a good cai out there? only one i could find was a "aem" something like that for $260 on the internet.. is aem good or should i wait for a diff brand? what kind of cai r yall using.. what r some pros and cons w/ cai? i just wanting to see if i want to invest in a cai..i'm new to this stuff if u cant tell.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Nobody makes one for 05's yet. You've gotta make your own like me. I telll you what though, it didnt cost $260 to make.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alextaylor29
Wow that's only a 14% (rounding up) driveline loss with HP and 13% with Tq. Show's you how efficient the 05 GTO's tranny in. Isn't 20% more the norm for driveline loss?
That's kinda what I was thinking... 15% drivetrain loss... damn nice!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

k&n dosent make a filtercharger for the 05's yet???
Old 04-06-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

nice dyno #s and even a better job and that intake setup.

whats with heatsoak that seems to be a problem with CAIs on these cars i keep hearing about?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Nobody makes any kit for the 05's yet. I fabricated the 'velocity stack' piece to try on the LS2. I had ones made to fit my last car and it proved to have nice gains. This one has too few miles on it yet to say either way, but it does make for a nice growl when heavy throttle is applied. The intake itself is also home made using parts for semi trucks believe it or not.

As for heatsoak with the intake, I modified my 05 hoodscoops to direct air over the front of the engine which should aid in pushing air through. I'm planning on fabricating a heat shield for the filter element and MAF but that is still in the works. Personaly, I get more satisfaction making something myself than spending money on something mass produced. (Thats not to say I wont change to a LPE intake if one comes out that fits 05's that proves better than what i've made.)
Old 04-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CSiJason
Nobody makes any kit for the 05's yet. I fabricated the 'velocity stack' piece to try on the LS2. I had ones made to fit my last car and it proved to have nice gains. This one has too few miles on it yet to say either way, but it does make for a nice growl when heavy throttle is applied. The intake itself is also home made using parts for semi trucks believe it or not.

As for heatsoak with the intake, I modified my 05 hoodscoops to direct air over the front of the engine which should aid in pushing air through. I'm planning on fabricating a heat shield for the filter element and MAF but that is still in the works. Personaly, I get more satisfaction making something myself than spending money on something mass produced. (Thats not to say I wont change to a LPE intake if one comes out that fits 05's that proves better than what i've made.)

well i'm not that good at making stuff myself..wish u lived near me i would pay u to make one for my car so that just leaves me w/ buying one...so u would choose lpe intake over ther other intakes..so what can i expect out of an new intake? better gas milage, throttle response, etc... feel kinda dumb asking these question but i'll never know if i never ask
Old 04-07-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

LPE's stuff is always quality. K&N's intake is just molded plastic. It may function just fine but it looks cheep if you ask me. AEM may be making one for the 05 but typicaly their intakes are all aluminum which retain a great deal of heat. I know the LPE intake for 04's was a formed silicone hose which is both flexable and has low thermal transfer which means it will not heat the air passing through it very much, plus it does not retain much underhood heat. They also use a much larger K&N filter than most kits which may or may not help right away, but when it gets dirty it should flow a bit more than a smaller filter that is equily dirty.

As for gains from an intake, mostly you'll notice a bit more power. You might get a little better MPG but that is usualy offset by the excessive use of throttle to hear your car roar.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Banned

CSIjason good info, did you have your gto dynoed before th e work?
what did you use under the hood to direct air to the filter?
Old 04-07-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, I have a baseline dyno (see above), I will have a comparison dyno soon.

The stock airbox setup has an opening near the filter that is made to direct air into the airbox. This opening is in front and above the air filter so it sill should help airflow reach the filter. It also has the air diffusers in the scoops trimmed to allow full airflow into the engine bay. As much as you would think it would let lots of water in, after washing the car several times since, it hasnt. I'm also thinking about turning one of the faux brake ducts on the sport appearance front facia (that I have on order) into a functioning air duct to direct air to the filter box area. I'm still debating this but if it is doable without cutting anything important, I might give it a try.

Quick Reply: For grins, my stock 05 dyno results...