Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

LS2 6spd guys, MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:02 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 6spd guys, MPG?

If you treat her nicely (obviously a few romps now and then) what kind of mileage are yall getting? Kinda looking for a new daily driver and I know that a new goat doesn't exactly make the best (versitility wise) but dang it, I don't know if I'll forgive myself if I don't at least think about one. Several things are holding me back....I'm on the road a lot, I drive in bad weather (IE snow) and I do a lot of road trips for Delaware football. I'm basically between a WRX (something that gives me decent gas mileage, a trunk big enough to haul my gril, all weather capability, and some fun) and a new GTO.

Opinions those of you that are living with one day to day and give me an idea on how many miles you drive a week too. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

I drive roughly 800 miles a week, and I average between 23-26mpg. That is basically all highway miles, traveling roughly 75mph. I mean, I absolutely love my car, and would only trade it for a vette. Its nice to have an old beater pickup or blazer when the weather gets real crappy though.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

City 16
Highway 24+
Old 10-18-2005, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

17-26
Old 10-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around town I get anywhere from 15-16.5 mpg. I have never done a full tank on the highway. Traffic in Chicagoland pretty much blows.

I would not even consider driving this thing in the snow. When I am in rain it is traction limited, even with the traction control on. So it can be a bit of a hand full in foul weather, if you are not paying attention.

If you are looking at WRX sti, I test drove one and yes, they are fast as hell, but the ride is rough. Also, the mileage is the same as m6 GTO, so I don't think you gain anything. You will also need some good all weather tires for the winter, because on the one I drove the tires were definitely dry weather only.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Teching In

I posted this on the other forum. Some are also wondering why the MPG is a bit low. I am attributing this to only having 540miles on her. Just did an oil change and then one more at 1500 miles with some real good stuff. Regardless, after pulverizing a punk in a 350Z the 7.8 MPG does not seem all that bad! Also noticed the exhuast note has gotten a bit meaner...which is a good thing! Heres' my observations so far:

"I'm getting around 9.6-10.5 MPG city with lights here and there. Overall
mileage this weekend (city/highway-100miles) was 15mpg. I did do a few 3-4K shifts but most was normal driving with some passing on the freeway. So far I am dissappointed a bit but do realize the car only has 490miles on her. I didn't buy a 400hp car to get good mileage. I'm just a bit surprise at HOW bad it is. I had a 4450LB mid 13sec/101mph ImpalaSS with every bolt on(3200 stall/3.73's) and got much better mileage with alot of spirited driving(about 17mpg or better) JFYI. Once the car hits 1500-2500 miles I plan to switch to Royal Purple or Redline products and hope that helps a bit. If not I'll just stay out of the GO pedal a little more. Still loving this Beast! Jimmy"
Old 10-19-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I drove an STi and a WRX right after I test drove the GTO. There was no question which one I was going to buy. The STi was just too much for a DD. The power and the AWD was nice but the ride was just awful on the crappy roads around here. The WRX felt like a cheap econobox. (Wait, it is a cheap econobox.) Boost lag was much worse than my wife's A4 1.8T and it didn't feel that much faster. At $26k, it was only a few grand cheaper than the GTO (I caught a very good deal on the goat) and the fuel mileage wasn't that much better. All in all, the GTO was just more fun and much more confortable for daily driving. If you're going to autocross all the time, the STi is one helluva machine but it's not very good as a DD.

My 2 cents.

-Matt

Edit: All that and I forgot to answer your question... 50% highway, 50% stop and go, I get 18mpg if I'm really good. If I'm not, it's more like 16. I haven't taken a full highway trip in the car yet, so I can't attest to the highway mileage.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:07 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by 69Project
Around town I get anywhere from 15-16.5 mpg. I have never done a full tank on the highway. Traffic in Chicagoland pretty much blows.

I would not even consider driving this thing in the snow. When I am in rain it is traction limited, even with the traction control on. So it can be a bit of a hand full in foul weather, if you are not paying attention.

If you are looking at WRX sti, I test drove one and yes, they are fast as hell, but the ride is rough. Also, the mileage is the same as m6 GTO, so I don't think you gain anything. You will also need some good all weather tires for the winter, because on the one I drove the tires were definitely dry weather only.

First of all, thanks for the responses guys. I'm not looking @ Sti's for the simple fact that something that quick for me has to be RWD, manual tranny, and a V8. PERIOD. I hate the new looks of the WRX / Subaru in general for 06 and I've found some left over 05s in the area. I think that's the route I'm going to go because it'll get just a touch better gas mileage, no worries about weather issues, and I'll still be able to haul my grill () So, I guess the v8, RWD will have to wait till next year It's one of those life decisions. Thanks for the help though.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:14 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I drove an STi and a WRX right after I test drove the GTO. There was no question which one I was going to buy. The STi was just too much for a DD. The power and the AWD was nice but the ride was just awful on the crappy roads around here. The WRX felt like a cheap econobox. (Wait, it is a cheap econobox.) Boost lag was much worse than my wife's A4 1.8T and it didn't feel that much faster. At $26k, it was only a few grand cheaper than the GTO (I caught a very good deal on the goat) and the fuel mileage wasn't that much better. All in all, the GTO was just more fun and much more confortable for daily driving. If you're going to autocross all the time, the STi is one helluva machine but it's not very good as a DD.

My 2 cents.

-Matt

Edit: All that and I forgot to answer your question... 50% highway, 50% stop and go, I get 18mpg if I'm really good. If I'm not, it's more like 16. I haven't taken a full highway trip in the car yet, so I can't attest to the highway mileage.

Thanks Matt. All that into consideration as a single guy 10 months out of college, on a tight budget with an aging 2000 malibu as a DD (with 120k on the clock) it's time to get out of it. I've driven a WRX before and I didn't think the ride was that harsh on Maryland back roads and it definately has more power than what I'm driving now. Besides, the 1.9% financing is harder to pass up than that of the 6.75 that GM is offering. Besides, if I do this right, I should be able to pay off what I fiance w/in a yr and then be announcing next year that I am back in the same boat for a new goat, and not worry about the daily driver aspect of THAT purchase.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

FWIW, the spring rates of the STI are decently stiffer than the WRX. adn the sti *should* get slightly better gas milage aroudn town as long as you stay out of boost.

slightly off topic, but related, do they make different rear end gears for gto's IRS setup yet? can you get anythign from aus? i know 4th gens can acheive 30+ mpg with a taller rear end gear, anything out for the GTO like this yet?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:25 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
FWIW, the spring rates of the STI are decently stiffer than the WRX. adn the sti *should* get slightly better gas milage aroudn town as long as you stay out of boost.

slightly off topic, but related, do they make different rear end gears for gto's IRS setup yet? can you get anythign from aus? i know 4th gens can acheive 30+ mpg with a taller rear end gear, anything out for the GTO like this yet?
I'd do more highway driving than city anyways. Besides, I'm not willing to pay the premium for the STi. The MPG thing and staying out of boost is exacly my thinking on this. I've pretty much made up my mind, I'm just trying to find the best deal on a left over 05 now.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

highway 25-26
city 15-16 (mainly short drives)
Old 10-24-2005, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worst tank (in 8500 miles) 15.5avg lots of time at the auto-X school
normal around town 16-17 (warm ups, 5 mile drive to work)
hwy 25-27.3 so far
mostly cruising around 80mph

better mpg on the highway than the STi
Old 10-25-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

In mixed city/highway (and some stop-n-go traffic for good measure) I usually average 18-21mpg depending on how well I keep my foot out of it.

I got to take a hard test drive in an STi when I was in the market and it just wasn't for me. I already had a modded WRX and it was just too close for me to consider spending over $30k on an STi. It was a great little car, but I'm very happy that I went with the GTO instead - especially with the fugly new nose on the Subies

Some random comments on the GTO:

- Well-documented issues include a small trunk (although the space that's there is very square and therefore fairly useful) and access to the rear seats is pretty limited. Since I don't carry passengers and have a truck to haul bigger stuff neither of these are a concern to me.

- I found the car to have more body roll than I cared for, but a set of Hotchkis swaybars has cured that nicely.

- I wish the rear wheels had come in 9" width with 275's. Those 8's are just too narrow when looking from the rear.

- Stock shifter is at least as bad as the OEM F-body shifters. Plan on replacing it unless you're never going to do any performance driving.

IMO, those are all very minor. The GTO is turning out to be a great daily driver, which is exactly what I wanted.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

That's funny 'cause today i purchased an 05 GTO. I was either going to get a STi, WRX or the Goat. Subaru would not sell an 05 demo (2500 miles) for less than 30; the WRX was literally a piece of crap; and the GTO was incredible. The decision was a no brainer. GTO all the way. For the money, gas mileage, looks/performance this was the best decision. Around here in LI, the snow isn't much of an issue. besides, it's got to be better in the snow than my Z28 was!!
Old 11-06-2005, 06:51 AM
On The Tree

Das it biiaaatch, I B be calling you out, hahahahhahahah
Congrats bro, I think you def made a wise decision.
Can't wait to see it...

So ummmm, did you start your mod list yet, hahah

Originally Posted by nascar20
That's funny 'cause today i purchased an 05 GTO. I was either going to get a STi, WRX or the Goat. Subaru would not sell an 05 demo (2500 miles) for less than 30; the WRX was literally a piece of crap; and the GTO was incredible. The decision was a no brainer. GTO all the way. For the money, gas mileage, looks/performance this was the best decision. Around here in LI, the snow isn't much of an issue. besides, it's got to be better in the snow than my Z28 was!!

Quick Reply: LS2 6spd guys, MPG?