Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

’04 GTO Tire/exhaust suggestions (GTO newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ’04 GTO Tire/exhaust suggestions (GTO newbie)

I recently traded a ’03 Mustang Cobra for a low mileage ’04 GTO (long story). I was lucky enough to get the 6-speed as I would never purchase a sports car with an automatic again. I must say I’m very pleased with the car and love driving it. It’s not as intense as the Cobra but it is more comfortable and where the Cobra had an “I hate you” attitude, the GTO is more friendly.

On to my question. My one complaint with the GTO is how easily rear wheel traction is lost when hard shifting. It seems that every time I do a hard shift I lose the rear end. It’s nothing serious and I have no problem controlling the car but compared to the Cobra it feels sloppy. The Cobra was sitting on Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3’s and I must say that they were amazing tires, they are also very soft and are over $200/tire so I really don’t want to go to those. I was wondering what some owners have gone to over the stock BFG’s. Any recommendations/results? I want something with better grip that will keep the rear end down when I’m hard shifting. Any help would be great.

My other very minor complaint is the lack of exhaust note. Again my Cobra was very aggressive (not ridiculously loud though) and I miss that sound. The 5.7 is a great sounding engine and I want to show it off a bit more than the stock exhaust does. Again, nothing super loud but more aggressive than stock. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys, I hope to make a home here!

Last edited by smokehouse; 12-20-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokehouse

My other very minor complaint is the lack of exhaust note. Again my Cobra was very aggressive (not ridiculously loud though) and I miss that sound. The 5.7 is a great sounding engine and I want to show it off a bit more than the stock exhaust does. Again, nothing super loud but more aggressive than stock. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys, I hope to make a home here!

If you want aggressive but not stupid loud, the SLP loudmouth catback with stock manifolds/cats sounds VERY nice on the LS1.

If you plan to do longtubes, it might be a little too crazy for you. I had a Loudmouth/longtubs/no cats setup on my Z28 (except the loudmouth resonator itself was replaced with a dynomax bullet to cut the rasp) and it was RIDICULOUSLY loud when I opened it up (I mean loud to the point where even for a muscle car, it was downright unnatural for it not to have a chute and wheelie bars on it.) that said though, it was pretty quiet at idle and the sound itself was really nice.

Enjoy the new goat and welcome aboard.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On tires, I am currently using Falken 451. They aren't GS-D3 material, but they grip much better than the stock tires. They are very reasonably priced as well. As for wear, I've got 8k miles on these tires and they still have 8/32 tread depth.

On exhaust, another popular one is the Stainless Works catback with Turbo Muffler(the chambered muffler is approaching stupid loud). It has a nice mid-range growl and takes the tone down a note or two. The drawback is that SW exhausts often require a good bit of work to fit right.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I run Nitto DRs all the time and don't have any problems.

Exhaust...you'll just have to listen to the various setups and decide what you like the best. Its hard to get a feel for them on the internet, best in person. Hook up with the local GTO crowd and see what sounds the best.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Teching In

As far as wheels go, Car and Driver did a nice wet/dry comparison of 10 different tires in the issue with the new z06 v viper on the cover. I believe the tire comparo is on the internet. It was actually very informative, for once... That should give you a good idea of tire vs performance vs cost.

As far as sound for your gto goes, you could get a cat back, but it won't do **** for your performance and will cost a lot of money. I would get long tube headers. They will give you the throaty V8 you want, but not obnoxious. And for your money you will get nice performance gains. If you still want louder, you can put an aftermarket catback on, but I will tell you my friend has a borla catback w/ long tube headers and it shakes the earth at 6k rpms
Old 12-21-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Crisisman
On exhaust, another popular one is the Stainless Works catback with Turbo Muffler(the chambered muffler is approaching stupid loud). It has a nice mid-range growl and takes the tone down a note or two. The drawback is that SW exhausts often require a good bit of work to fit right.
It does have a nice low end to it

http://home.comcast.net/~gto_scott/G...bo_Exhaust.wmv

http://home.comcast.net/~gto_scott/Dec_10_Dyno.wmv
Old 12-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help guys. It looks like the Eagle F1 GS-D3 might be the answer after all. I guess I’ll have to save my pennies for a while.

As for the exhaust I’m still not sure. I’m not an expert on exhaust but I can swap out a cat back assembly if it has all the right hangers. I do like the sound of the setup Scott has but once again, if it requires some serious mods I probably would have to pay for it.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

a set of LT headers will get you the sound and 25-30 rwhp as well
Old 12-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

I have the SS Works with S-Tube mufflers. Crisisman had it backwards in that the S-Tube is the straight through setup and is louder than the Chambered mufflers. It is a great sound and easy to install and includes all the needed hardware except new flange gaskets. The X-pipe of great and the fit and finish is top notch.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GGTTOO
I have the SS Works with S-Tube mufflers. Crisisman had it backwards in that the S-Tube is the straight through setup and is louder than the Chambered mufflers. It is a great sound and easy to install and includes all the needed hardware except new flange gaskets. The X-pipe of great and the fit and finish is top notch.
The "Chambered" muffler is long and cylindrical, the "Turbo" muffler looks like your traditional muffler. Get it from the source here
Old 12-24-2005, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rob
I run Nitto DRs all the time and don't have any problems.

Exhaust...you'll just have to listen to the various setups and decide what you like the best. Its hard to get a feel for them on the internet, best in person. Hook up with the local GTO crowd and see what sounds the best.
I never had a problem with Nitto DR's on my Firehawk. Of course the car wasn't a daily driver, but even in the rain they were fine.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
I never had a problem with Nitto DR's on my Firehawk. Of course the car wasn't a daily driver, but even in the rain they were fine.

same here...my Z28 almost never saw rain, but when it did, it was wearing nittos and I never had any driveability problems as long as i drove with some level of maturity.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

B and B makes a very mean exhaust for the 04 GTO, I currently have SLP Loudmouth which I love, but I am soon upgrading to dual exits and going with Corsa Sport, which also sounds very good.

As for tires, I'm currently running Dunlops and love them.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

the best sounding exhaust setup i've heard personally is the SW LT headers with their chambered catback. sounds ballsy but it's just so damn loud. or the stock exhaust manifolds, cats, and resonators (catback-less). i have the LM1 catback but hate the drone at 2K rpm. i might just ditch the resonators and get some 2.5" pipes in place.

i got nitto NT555 tires because dollar to performance ratio is good enough for my broke *** and don't have any traction issues in the florida rain. but there are better tires for more money.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jonlee
i have the LM1 catback but hate the drone at 2K rpm. i might just ditch the resonators and get some 2.5" pipes in place.

Try dynomax bullets....improved that problem a lot in my old Z28.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

price?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Launching!

I've got Kook's Longtubes and the stock catBack. It sounds perfect for me. Not loud as hell, but people know you got something when you're idling next to them, and it screams when you go WOT.

I put a cam in as well and Mike at Rapid tuned it for me. He thinks it sounds like an old 5.0 Mustang , a nice rolling hollowish tone. Oh yeah. I'm at 363 rwhp with those two mods.

...edit... As far as tires, I'm running AVS ES/100 275 in the rear and 245 up front. I'm very happy with them and I hit alot of back roads pretty hard around here

Last edited by 2edybrd; 12-26-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jonlee
price?

the 3"x18" one i used in my camaro was only $40 plus welding....

Quick Reply: ’04 GTO Tire/exhaust suggestions (GTO newbie)