Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

What voids warranties?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What voids warranties?

What voids warranties on these cars, if they're brand new for instance? Wouldn't doing things like Cold Air Induction, re-tuning, possibly even headers, void at least part of one's warr'y on a new vehicle?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many times it depends on the dealer...

Some dealers are very easy going about mild things and even stuff like exhaust.

Yet other dealers will void you for soo much as a K&N filter...(just for example).

From what I have heard,a warranty claim can only be rejected if the dealer can prove that the "modified part" caused the problem for which you are trying to get serviced.

I could be wrong on that but here is what I have found from SEMA..

"Federal law sets forth requirements for warranties and contains a number of provisions to prevent vehicle manufacturers, dealers and others from unjustly denying warranty coverage. With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used(see Attachment A).The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought. Disputes in this area usually boil down to arguments over facts and technical opinions, rather than arguments over interpretations of the law ."

That last part is where it becomes very important wether your dealer is "cool" or not...

Here is the link SEMA

Good luck and hope this helps...
Old 05-01-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

from what i heard it whatever you do only voids that part of the warranty so exhaust would void the exhaust part and so one... but also i think it depends on your dealers like he said
Old 05-01-2006, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

From what I have heard,a warranty claim can only be rejected if the dealer can prove that the "modified part" caused the problem for which you are trying to get serviced.
this is correct

check this out
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the federal law that governs consumer product warranties. Passed by Congress in 1975, the Act requires manufacturers and sellers of consumer products to provide consumers with detailed information about warranty coverage. In addition, it affects both the rights of consumers and the obligations of warrantors under written warranties.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

A "friendly" dealer will only refuse work if you've done something like nitrous or f/i (this coming from an area service manager)...so bolt ons and such are fine. I've taken mine in many times at my local dealership for various things and have never had a problem. It is dealer dependent though...even though they're technically not supposed to refuse work unless the mod caused the problem, some of them will be dicks about it.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

and if you "Remind" them of the Magnusen warrenty act of 1975 (by asking if they are familiar with it, then giving them a copy)
they usualy do the right thing
Old 05-02-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you can remind them all you want about the m-moss act, but dealers can still say no way...you might have to get lawyers and such involved.

find a local dealer thats reasonable before making mods, some dont really care, and some will void your warranty if you look at them the wrong way.

if youre going to get it tuned, never ever tell them you flashed the PCM, or they could void the entire car.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Yes, must make sure the stock tune is flashed back before taking it in, even with a "cool" dealer.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys (and gal ;-) , It seems all of your info is pretty much on the money here. I recently made my big "mod" , lol..... well, I swapped the stock mufflers for a pair of "glass-packs". That's it. They did it at a local muffler shop. Did a really nice clean job, 100 bucks , installed, so I can't complain. I really like the sound, as opposed to "stock". Although stock sounded admirably rumbly and deep for factory, it just wasn't quite aggressive enough for my taste. I think if you've got a car like this, you have to have some kind of mean sound. But anyway, just to be a real prude, I double-checked about it w/my dealer where I got the car, and the service guy said the same thing as you guys here. If you change the exhaust system, and then have something w/the exhaust go wrong, it would void the exhaust part of the warr'y but nothing else. He did recommend I stay away from "tuning", which he said could well void the engine and computer warr'y , etc. I wasn't planning on doing that anyway, but I noticed someone else here brought it up, and it's right what they said ; "de-tune" the car back to factory specs before bringing in for service , if this is an issue !
Old 05-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well find out if your dealer is having a good or bad day first
Old 05-06-2006, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

my dealer has been cool with me so far. i havent really had a problem with them. the only time the questioned something was when i said the A/C was sucking. then my service advisor asked if i had done anything to that area (pulleys). ive told them a few times about the comp being tuned, and not to mess with it unless it was absolutly necessary. you say to remove the tune, but its kinda hard if you dont have a handheld. i cant call up my tuner everytime my car needs work done
Old 05-06-2006, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

I am pretty sure that, after gears, shifter, clutch/flywheel, heads/cam, headers/exhaust, HPTuners tune, N2O...my warranty is officially FUBARed!

Galen

P.S. I THINK my seats and radio are still covered!
Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Default Warranty - The TRUTH

I own a 2004 GTO - I have worked in a GM dealership in the past and this is what I can tell you about modifications & warranties. If you run into a huge $ issue like a blown engine or transmission, there is a good chance the GM Service Rep will be stopping by to take a look, and they REPRESENT GM. Most service managers don't enjoy dealing with upset customers. So, if there is a way to have it covered by warranty, they will do it. Plus, most are "motor heads" and when it comes to modifications, they find that stuff cool and try to look out for a "brother in arms". However, like I said, about the time the GM Service Rep gets the paperwork stating GM will be covering a bill in the thousands $$$, they may stop buy & take a look. I first got into the modification game in 99 when I bought a new Z-28. The service manager at the local dealership, who has since passed from brain cancer (R.I.P George) told me this in a nutshell about the typical mods (cold air intakes, high flow mass airflow sensors, power programmers, exhausts etc): We will look out for you, but in case a rep shows up, in order to be "teflon", you can change the air filter in the stock air box and make modifications behind the catalytic converter. So essentially, K&N air filter & cat-back exhaust are the only truely safe mods. This guy was said to be the best tech ever by many. If GM had a problem, they would call him & pay to have him flown to wherever the problem was to fix it. So, I go by this rule: You can always fight it in court and write the Better Business Bureau, but thats a lot of time I don't think anyone wants to spend. Hope that info was helpful.

Quick Reply: What voids warranties?