Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

IRS wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IRS wheel hop

hey guys, im almost positive that this is a re-post so im sorry in advance. I've had my car for almost 3 months and im really sick of the wheel hop. is there some package that eliminates the wheel hop, or just a part or series of parts that will eliminate this problem?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

BMR Drag Bags help and theyre a cheap mod.. easy to install..

roughly $100.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Auto or 6sp?
Autos for the most part get no wheelhop.
I have yet to get any hop and I have made over 50 dragtrack passes.
six speeds are another story,,they love the ole hip-hop..
You can try stiffer springs from Pedders, the BMR dragbags, the Harrop irs mount, one piece driveshaft and see what happens..
Old 05-26-2006, 03:39 AM
11 Second Club

There are also, the poly urathane cross member bushings, SLP/Hotchkis sway bar with poly end link bushings. . . Urathane diff. mount bushing (noltech) ?sp

BMR drag bags make the most noticable decrease in wheel hop so far for me! But I already had all other parts in my sig. So it could be a combination effect.

Some say that better tires (Drag radials) help a lot too!

my $.02
Old 05-26-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sticky tires.
drag bag.
upgraded suspension.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Teching In

The front bushings and drag bags did nothing for me,
I have noticed that you can move the center section of the drive shaft up and down about 2 inches. This is most likely a major part of the wheel hop.

One Piece drive shaft
Pedders Bushing kit,
Pedders Shocks,
Pedders Springs,

Should take care of most of it, (Might want to hold off on the drive shaft though, they are super expensive, and the other things may take care of it for you.)
Old 05-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Launching!

also if you like high speed racing/driving ALL the one piece driveshafts on the six sppeds vibrate at over 100mph.
Basically if your into drag racing and didnt get the auto your in for an uphill battle.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

i've got a M6. i dont recall if the hotchkis swaybars came with the upgraded bushings or not but i have the sway bars and whatever came with them. where can i find all of this Pedders stuff? so if i got shocks, and the bushing kit (assuming i dont have new bushings with the sway bars), harrop cover, BMR drag bags, and urathane differential mount bushings. do the pedders springs lower the car at all? or are they just stiffening springs? thanks for all the help guys!
Old 05-29-2006, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

'06 M6 here ...
koni in the rear helped me tremendously ... not gonna have to do anything else until more power or something else changes ... I went that route because I felt running 23# in the rear stock tires was hurting trap speeds ... but @ 23# on stock 17" BFG KDWS I never got hop unless I tried to launch over 2500RPM ...

GL .. Darin
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Teching In

My wheel hop seemed to go away this weekend - after adding the Noltec Differential Insert 3 weeks ago.

Car is an 04/A4 - with major hop problems at ETown - even with X member bushings & rear Koni shocks & street tires set at 30 psi.

Even power braked it a little up to 1200RPMs with no problems (exept for 1st run when the track was still wet - that was interesting)
Old 06-21-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GTO Nation
The front bushings and drag bags did nothing for me,
I have noticed that you can move the center section of the drive shaft up and down about 2 inches. This is most likely a major part of the wheel hop.

One Piece drive shaft
Pedders Bushing kit,
Pedders Shocks,
Pedders Springs,

Should take care of most of it, (Might want to hold off on the drive shaft though, they are super expensive, and the other things may take care of it for you.)
Man! Too many conflicting opinions! I guess that's just what happens when you're on a board like this. What exactly is the root cause of IRS wheelhop? What are the inherent weaknesses in the GTOs setup?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default Irs

Originally Posted by A-man930
Man! Too many conflicting opinions! I guess that's just what happens when you're on a board like this. What exactly is the root cause of IRS wheelhop? What are the inherent weaknesses in the GTOs setup?
I 100% agree with A-man930, we need to get to the root cause of this wheel hop problem. This hodge-podge of parts beings used (drag bags, poly mounts, diff cover) to fix the wheel hop seems like we are chasing this thing down all wrong.
Honestly lets take an intelligent approach and figure this **** out. Is it a geometry? or what? Champ cars with 900 hp have IRS and I don't see them hopping there tires as they leave the pits??? What are we missing here, besides a 2 million dollar car :-0

Just a thought
UofMn
Old 06-21-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 501 Likes on 351 Posts

All you have to do is stall up an a-4 to see where we get wheelhop. When torque is applied to the suspension, it squats. That brings the tire up. When the tire goes up, traction diminishes, then it spins. When it spins, the suspension unloads, and relieves the squat. The tire makes good contact again, and the suspension sqats again . etc., etc, etc, et all. The only solution with the factory suspension seems to be firming it up, which reduces weight transfer. All of this adds up to a great road car that sucks *** at the drag strip. I have drag bags, koni adjustables, and nittos, and my 60' times still suck. I either hop or spin.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

I thought when a car squats it will add traction since you are transfering weight to the back? I understand that there would be some loss of traction before it stops squatting but you would have more traction in the "squatted" position.

UofMn
Old 06-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UofMN
I thought when a car squats it will add traction since you are transfering weight to the back? I understand that there would be some loss of traction before it stops squatting but you would have more traction in the "squatted" position.

UofMn
As gametech was describing, the squatting of the rearend cause the wheel camber to change, which reduces tire contact with the driving surface. Reduce the squat and you will reduce the impact of wheel hop. I have added the BMR drag bags and have eliminated 99% of the wheel hop I was previously experiencing. I should note that I am only running 12 psig in the bags. I have yet to see what will happen at greater pressures.

-K
Old 06-28-2006, 03:17 AM
Staging Lane

whats wheelhop? oh...sorry i have an a4. one of the positives about a auto
Old 06-28-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, it seems like BMR has quite a handle on the whole wheelhop issue, seeing as they've built-up a solid 9 second '04. The drag bags seem like a band-aid to me, and they're only for stock springs to boot. The Harrop rear cradle bushings look to be good for something. Upgraded shocks (konis in this case) are always helpfull. The Harrop diff cover looks like a solid piece too. The Pedders stuff I wasn't able to pull up, but to the performance-oriented crowd, a little harsher ride from stiffer springs is ok. What about BMR's subframe connectors? Is there any need?

What this all adds up to is good advertising by BMR
Old 07-01-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump...
Old 07-01-2006, 10:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
. I have drag bags, koni adjustables, and nittos, and my 60' times still suck. I either hop or spin.
I have koni's in the rear, king springs and drag bags and MT drag radials....thats it. NO WHEEL HOP. Once I went to a bfg or MT drag radial the hop disappeared. Most of it is due to lack of traction

The car performs well once you learn how to launch and use the right tools.

You can see my best 60 in my sig and I avg low 1.6's and mid 1.5's

I have stock DS, 1/2 shafts, stubs, diff, bushings etc.......I've done nothing other than the above mods for suspension stuff.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by A-man930
The drag bags seem like a band-aid to me, and they're only for stock springs to boot. T
no they go in king springs and the pedders springs.....not just stock springs. I had the pedders lowering springs and was able to get drag bags in, then when I switched to the king springs they fit on those also

Quick Reply: IRS wheel hop