Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Just Got My 2005 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Got My 2005 GTO

Just picked it up today.....30,000 miles on it....got it for $19,500. Its black with a 6-speed, totally stock except for aftermarket rims and a Corsa exhaust. A few questions:

Has anyone ever looked into getting any kind of an extended warrenty with these cars. Mine only has about 6000 miles left on it and I'm wondering what kind of cash I'm looking at for an extended warrenty

I also noticed that the clutch makes a "clunky" type noise when I disengage it in first gear at lower RPMs. I know its kind of a nitpicky observation....I just never really noticed it in my camaro (maybe cause of the loudmouth). Is this pretty normal or should I mention it when I stop in at the dealer?

Otherwise I love the car and I think I got a pretty good deal, despite the miles. My only complaint is that I can't get the plates until tomorrow....so in the garage it sits
Old 07-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

The noise is not normal that I am aware of. There was a noise in the rear of the car that was normal on the 2004. They had a recall on that.Aftermarket warranties you have to read everything to see what they cover and find a regular shop that honors those warranties. Alot of places do not read the warranty and just call it in and say whats wrong and not what causes it. They usually don't care if you pay or the warranty company. As long as the service advisor reads the warranty paper work and tells what the warranty company what they want to hear they will cover. good luck and enjoy.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

go with a GMPP warranty.

shop around. ask your dealer first. i recommend a 0 deductible with whatever coverage you go with. theyre well built cars so i wouldnt expect many problems. ive had a few minor things on my 05. nothing major.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

I say get the best deal you can on a good extended warranty. See it as vested insurance from the previous owner! You got a decent deal considering the mileage so why not get an extended warranty?
Old 07-09-2006, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

I would definately get a GM Extended warranty. You can even purchase them AFTER your warranty expires. Dont get the cheap ones from companys that are fly by night, they only cover up to a maximum $1500, so if you blow a motor, or a trans, its gonna help you, but not by much, considering the warranty was $1500 to buy. Really a rip off but thats how they make their money. Make sure there is no maximum to the amount of times you can use it, also make sure there is no deductible. Thats why I recommend going with the GM extended warranty. You can just go to any local dealer, or I actually got a flyer in the mail from them with extended warranty plans both on my Solstice and my GTO. Anyways you got a HELL of a buy for under 20K. Especially being an LS2. As for the noise issue, I would just slap a new clutch in it, maybe the driver abused?

Flash-
Old 07-09-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The noise only seems to happen at low RPMs.....in first gear.....and when the car has just been started. After about a minute of driving I can't get it to make the clunk. Other than that the clutch engages fine and there are no other obvious noises......hell compared to my Camaro this thing is like being in an isolation chamber, very quiet!! Which is a good thing BTW. Thanks for the responses. I'm going to the dealer this thursday anyways to get this torn shifter boot fixed, I'll find out about the warrenty there. I'm LOVIN' this GTO!!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Zeequick, the clutch noise is normal. This happens on my GTO as well as on my old '02 WS6 TA. I think its just the normal GM manual tranny noise!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 04rareredgto
Zeequick, the clutch noise is normal. This happens on my GTO as well as on my old '02 WS6 TA. I think its just the normal GM manual tranny noise!

Thanks for the input....much appreciated!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Why was the car so cheap, salvage title?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, title is clean. Guess the guy just had been trying to get rid of it for a while and wanted to unload it fast. Car is pretty close to perfect, except for the high miles.

Quick Reply: Just Got My 2005 GTO