Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

gto power troubble

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gto power troubble

my parents own a 05 gto and its not driven much but the battery seems to die alot even if its been driven for 30minutes after a jumpstart it wont start back up in an hour..i noticed that the odometer and the clock stay on when the car is off, they arnt lit up but the black numbers are on.. they called the dealership and they said its not supposed to be like that and to bring it in..they got a call the next day and they said the believed it to be an electrical problem and they would have to look into it, now the dealership says they cant find anything wrong with it and its fine... havent got the car back yet probly going to get it tonight but i think they really just dont know what to do. has anyone else had this problem?
Old 11-03-2006, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

my numbers are there also, something else is wrong
Old 11-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Teching In

The battery on most GTO` s are crap if it was sitting on the lot for a long time before they bought it it could be that it needs a new battery.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:12 PM
12 Second Club

ok got the car back and gunna now try to replace the battery but now on the way home found the alarm goes off when 25mph is hit... freakin dealers..thanks for the input
Old 11-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigfoot2thefloor
ok got the car back and gunna now try to replace the battery but now on the way home found the alarm goes off when 25mph is hit... freakin dealers..thanks for the input
As someone else posted, the stock battery is crap. Mine died after 1 1/2 years. I replaced it with an Optima.
Was it your alarm or the overspeed chime?
FWIW, my odo and clock are displayed all the time. Never heard that this was not normal............
Old 11-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigfoot2thefloor
my parents own a 05 gto and its not driven much but the battery seems to die alot even if its been driven for 30minutes after a jumpstart it wont start back up in an hour..i noticed that the odometer and the clock stay on when the car is off, they arnt lit up but the black numbers are on.. they called the dealership and they said its not supposed to be like that and to bring it in..they got a call the next day and they said the believed it to be an electrical problem and they would have to look into it, now the dealership says they cant find anything wrong with it and its fine... havent got the car back yet probly going to get it tonight but i think they really just dont know what to do. has anyone else had this problem?
I had a problem with my battery too, my headlights stayed on after I turned the car off. Found it to be a light switch problem.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

Face it -- God hates you!.Just Kidding _maybe
Old 11-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Teching In

My clock and odo are always on. At about 25,000 miles my lovely POS ACDelco battery unsealed itself in 100 degree weather and proceeded to fill my battery tray with acid. I bought a new tray and an optima red top. It was a $150 battery, but well worth it.

Quick Reply: gto power troubble