Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

How much torque can the stock GTO IRS handle

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much torque can the stock GTO IRS handle

We are starting an engine build in an 04 GTO and need to know how much the stock IRS has handled. Any experiences would be helpful.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Carl
We are starting an engine build in an 04 GTO and need to know how much the stock IRS has handled. Any experiences would be helpful.
A guy on LS1 GTO .com has gone in the high 10's with an auto.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

You have asked one of those questions that can only be answered with "it all depends". Too many factors are involved for a definite answer. For whatever it's worth, some guys have run over 600 ft/lbs with no problems....others have shredded IRS components with stock engines and less than 400 ft/lbs.

Launching without wheel hop is a big factor; and, generally speaking, the A4 guys seem to have less problems than the guys with M6s.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:01 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the input. This is a case were it won't be used in a drag race situation where slicks or drag radials will be used. The plan is for a high HP, high torque driver that shouldn't get a solid hook-up and save the trans. and IRS for handleing. The car is a M6 and it will be making around 700 HP and 650 ft/lb's NA at the flywheel.
Does the center section usually go first or the axles ? What is the prefered clutch upgrade that retains near stock pedal feel ?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:31 AM
10 Second Club

Can't speak for the M6 but I imagine that the driveline is a LOT more succeptable to breakage due to lots of shock on launch on the M6. I honestly think my A4 and mostly stock IRS can handle just about anything I can throw at it since the more torque and HP I throw at the stall the higher up the flash goes so, it's kinda self-adjusting (so to speak).

There's a good possibility that I'm going to go solid rear in the next few months not necessarily out of necessity but I have an opportunity to have the conversion done at a reduced cost. JM2C

Cheers,
Mark
Old 11-17-2006, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

A lot of GTO guys run the LS7 clutch but I doubt that it would handle that kind of power. I've heard good things about the RPS clutches. I'd say you'd break the half-shafts or the diff first.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Take a look at the BMR website and their project GTO. They pretty much led the way as to what broke and when...pretty much figure, clutch, driveshaft, halfshafts, and axles. A sponsor on LS1GTO is supposed to be coming out with an axle to axle "solution" soon.

As for clutch ....LS7 wont hold up to your HP expectations. I went with Textralia, but have no road data as of yet.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Teching In

The Driveshaft Shop makes CV axles and a driveshaft for the GTO also.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks everyone for the info. The axles and CV joints aren't bad as long as the center section isn't prone to breaking. I saw a center section casting for 9" Ford differential, but it was $2500 pretty much bare. At that point the owner may have to give up the IRS and go with a solid axle. Does anyone know how much that would affect the handleing, since this is a driver and not a drag car ?
Old 11-23-2006, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

IMO.......switching to a one peace drive shaft may cause the failure of CV joints and center section. The 2 piece Drive shaft has rag joints that absorb the shock and saves the rest of the drive train.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Teching In

I ran my 04 goat into the 9`s on the stock rear , with a automatic trans .
Old 11-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Quick Carl
Thanks for the input. This is a case were it won't be used in a drag race situation where slicks or drag radials will be used. The plan is for a high HP, high torque driver that shouldn't get a solid hook-up and save the trans. and IRS for handleing. The car is a M6 and it will be making around 700 HP and 650 ft/lb's NA at the flywheel.
Does the center section usually go first or the axles ? What is the prefered clutch upgrade that retains near stock pedal feel ?
Hello everyone I am new to this forum but have been lurking here for awhile I have the APS twin turbo kit on my 05 M6 with 608rwhp and 661rwtq with 275 PS2s and have yet to break anything. I have the LS7 clutch and flywheel as well, the car is my daily driver and I do lots of highway rolls. I have yet to take it to the track but I am almost certain if I launched it hard with good traction it will probably make short work of the diff and shafts. The car is a absolute blast to drive and the tires act as a fuse for the driveline. If I do a little spirited stoplight to stoplight runs yes I do play catchup but it is fun to pass people when they think they are winning and look at the expression on there faces when you go by them at least 20mph faster.

Les
Old 11-25-2006, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

I dunno, but I plan on launching my m6 at 6000rpm or so on dec 1st
Old 11-27-2006, 07:01 AM
FormerVendor

Keep us updated as to how the launch goes. The plan is to hopefully use the tires as the fuse, since the owner wants this to be a fun driver with this much HP and torque. It sounds similar to LoBoost's set-up except NA, where it appears and sounds to be stock. I believe a launch on soft radials or concrete would do the rear in. What tires are you running LoBoost?
Hardcore; So you think it is better to leave it stock than to upgrade the drive shaft ? Has anyone looked at a carbon fiber drive shaft to absorb some of the shock like some of the race cars do?

Quick Reply: How much torque can the stock GTO IRS handle