Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO quality compared to other GMs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default GTO quality compared to other GMs

I've never been in a GTO (other than my first car - '68 bigblock) and i was wondering how everyone feels about the quality.

Do the doors crash and rattle when you close them like all chevys do?
Do you think they'll squeek and rattle and feel like a ten year old corvette in ten years?
Does the interior feel sturdy, or is everyone ripping cheap door handles off and replacing window switches all the time?

In other words, i would be very happy to know that the GTO isnt a piece of crap like all other GMs and will feel like a solid car after time goes by. I've owned nothing but GM cars, so i can call them pieces of crap. The running gear is why i go GM. lol

I was amazed when i went for a ride in a 25 year old resurected junkyard BMW 7 series. It rode quieter and didnt rattle and squeek at ALL!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant speak for 10 years from now, but today the car is great fit and finish wise. built quality is way above any other GM car ive been in with maybe the new Tahoe as the exception. The quality/comfort of the car is one of the main reasons i bought it
Old 03-06-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

^^^ i agree. as soon as i sat in the the car i felt right at home. everything seemed to be in place and easy to reach. i havent had my car long, but except for a little dash twitch, the car rides smooth as hell. had it up to 110 mph on the hwy saturday, thought i was only doing 70. im really loving it and will love it even more when it stops snowing.

there have been sum issues(as with any car) with some GTO's. most have had strut wear problems, gauge cluster issues, burning oil, etc. most are covered under warrenty.

i started a thread about this on ls1gto.com here is the link, may be worth checking it out if you wanted to hear any problems people have had.

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139687
Old 03-07-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont own one but have driven a few of them and they seem to be VERY solid cars. Everything was very tight and smooth.....it really felt like a german car.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Resident

Extremely solid. My girlfriend had a 03 bmw 330xi that I used to drive a lot, the GTO feels the same inside. The interior is what you would expect from a german car that costs $15k more.

The door needs just a little bit of a tap and it closes perfectly with almost no sound. It's not like an F bod where you have to open it all the way and pull as hard as you can to get it to close.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel that my 2004 GTO is lightyears ahead in quality, fitment, and comfort above my fathers 2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD. His truck had been in for service work and warrente work than mine. And he just drives his. Not the beat down I give mine.

Really, I feel the GTO is of a great build quality above the US built GM vehicles. Body panles fit better, (I dont have ) no body rattles, great interior.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Awesome, im glad to hear it. I always thought that a non-GM car with a GM engine would be sweet. The fact that GM didnt make the car is my favorite thing about it, lol.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the car quality is far above and beyond anything else ive ever driven/ridden in, with the possible exception of a modena 360.

I sat in a LS7 vette the other day, and I thought, the GTO's interior and overall quality are better than this...

Its not a pontiac, its a holden.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Awesome, im glad to hear it. I always thought that a non-GM car with a GM engine would be sweet. The fact that GM didnt make the car is my favorite thing about it, lol.
well GM's holden division built the car...so technically its still a gm car
Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ExTurbo
well GM's holden division built the car...so technically its still a gm car

Yeah but's it a foreign GM car.

Best of both worlds!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Teching In

I gotta tell you, according to that link the other guy gave with the list of common GTO problems, they don't sound very well built at all.

I was actually checking this forum out to ask the exact same question. I'm sick of my T/A falling apart. Every time I fix one thing another breaks. 40K on the car and I've had to replace two lights, two window motors, two door panels, I have some sort of problem with my rear differential which I don't know much about, and the dealer tells me I have something wrong with one of the sensors in something or the other that I can't recall now. Thats just the stuff I can remember I'm sure theres much more. I buy a 30K+ dollar car, I don't want to replace that much stuff within the first 5 years.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by branden7
I gotta tell you, according to that link the other guy gave with the list of common GTO problems, they don't sound very well built at all.
None of that stuff is even common.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

the Problem with the internet is no one goes around posting that their car is in great shape, and has no problems...and everyone with access to a computer is mad cause they had something break on their car. put it this way, if something breaks on a GTO its gonna do it within the first 30,000 miles, strut rub can be fixed as it will show up within the first 2,000 miles. the motors are strong, and it doesnt have the build quality issues plauged by the F body. our window motors are great, and we dont have headlight motors to fail. the rears are pretty strong compared to the 10 bolt, and the trans itself is out of the C5 Z06 which is a little beefier than the F body T56. Ive put 10,000 hard miles on my car and havent had one thing break, leak, or sqeak, except for a dash rattle that has been taken care of. its a TSB at most dealers so it can be located and fixed quickly
Old 03-07-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ExTurbo
the Problem with the internet is no one goes around posting that their car is in great shape, and has no problems...and everyone with access to a computer is mad cause they had something break on their car. put it this way, if something breaks on a GTO its gonna do it within the first 30,000 miles, strut rub can be fixed as it will show up within the first 2,000 miles. the motors are strong, and it doesnt have the build quality issues plauged by the F body. our window motors are great, and we dont have headlight motors to fail. the rears are pretty strong compared to the 10 bolt, and the trans itself is out of the C5 Z06 which is a little beefier than the F body T56. Ive put 10,000 hard miles on my car and havent had one thing break, leak, or sqeak, except for a dash rattle that has been taken care of. its a TSB at most dealers so it can be located and fixed quickly

I'd have to disagree with the GTO's IRS being stronger than the 10-bolt.

Techy C5 owners state explicitly that the 10-bolt holds up better than a stock IRS.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

But do those C5 owners swap them out for some moser axle that has an absolute terrible rate of being f#$ked up from moser (ie ring gears bolted in finger tight or axle tubes not welded on correctly)?..or do they buy extra pieces to make the IRS stronger, like shafts, chunks, and girdles?

Im not trying to be a smart ***, im actually asking a question, lol. From the Fbody side i have to say that the rear end situation sucks for us. Our only way out costs at least $2000.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

If the stock IRS is something that CAN be upgraded without changing over to an entire different system, then there is another plus for the GTOs and other IRS vehicles. I would give it a plus anyway because its damn sure going to be a better ride than a live axle, and that should translate into less seats, moldings, windows, and crap rattling around.

Dont get me wrong, live axles have their place, and the strait track is a great place for them.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
But do those C5 owners swap them out for some moser axle that has an absolute terrible rate of being f#$ked up from moser (ie ring gears bolted in finger tight or axle tubes not welded on correctly)?..or do they buy extra pieces to make the IRS stronger, like shafts, chunks, and girdles?

Im not trying to be a smart ***, im actually asking a question, lol. From the Fbody side i have to say that the rear end situation sucks for us. Our only way out costs at least $2000.

The IRS is a serious problem for up there dragsters in the C5. You just can't upgrade it to something like a 9 in.

Upgrading the C5 IRS is like upgrading a 10-bolt. Not going to do you much but they don't make a 12-bolt equivalent for the C5 without custom fabbing a solid axle conversion so they do what they can.

Not many C5/6's in the 8-9 second club.

The solid axle is a stronger platform by far though I prefer an IRS (two C5's to one 4th gen F-Body here). I also don't put drag slicks on my cars either.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

I have an 05 w/2500 miles and I absolutely love it.The fit and finish is worth at least double the 30 grand I paid for it.An extremely well built solid car.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my 05 is the best vehicle ive ever owned.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 496 Likes on 346 Posts

Almost every problem you encounter with the GTO is because of transferring it to north america. The front end strut rub is caused by the US spec wider tires, the lack of trunk space is caused by the US spec relocated fuel tank, the swirlmarks in the paint is caused after they hit US dealerships, etc. They are actually very solid cars. My main gripe is that as a "sport tourer" or whatever the hell they are supposed to be, GM used too soft rubber bushings throughout the entire car.

Quick Reply: GTO quality compared to other GMs