Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Should Moser come out with a rearend for the GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008 | 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

There is a company that makes a f*rd 8.8" conversion kit. Once I grenade my rear end (hopefully never) I might just have to do the unthinkable.....
Old 01-18-2008 | 04:11 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thanks for all the comments. Tim (from Moser) was at our shop yesterday and we were discussing this thread. Tim would like to come out with a non IRS rear much like what they have for the Camaro and Firebirds, to really get these cars to launch. Bob
Old 01-18-2008 | 10:35 AM
9 Second Club

Now your talking. Do it!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I'd rather see a solid axle kit. IRS sucks for drag racing, where a beefy rear axle is actually needed.
Originally Posted by Kingsize
I think Nine Ball is right. We need a SRA like the M9 housing for the f-bodys, using a torque arm on the trans crossmember. I think it would work great with BMR's subframe connectors w/LCA tabs welded to them. Build it and they will come!!!
Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Thanks for all the comments. Tim (from Moser) was at our shop yesterday and we were discussing this thread. Tim would like to come out with a non IRS rear much like what they have for the Camaro and Firebirds, to really get these cars to launch. Bob
Old 01-18-2008 | 05:41 PM
On The Tree

i would like to see something the is priced fair, 5k is to much for this piece. also one the you could bolt EVERYTHING stock up to it, stubs and all. i have beefed up everything in mine except the pumpkin, also done a mini tub. I am looking into a 2 step for out of the hole and i would like to see a pumpkin that could hold that!!!!!
Old 01-19-2008 | 06:33 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

A complete Moser 9 inch for an F Body starts at $2,450.00 shipped (epp prices)
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

Anyone who has called around knows this is a great price! Now retrofitting the 9 inch to the IRS equipped GTO is an expensive endeavor. A $2,000.00 dollar rear-end has been talked about on here, and that isn't going to happen. What does everyone feel is a fair price? If Moser can't make a little money on it (keep in mind that is why they are in business) then they are wasting their time. Thanks. Bob
Old 01-19-2008 | 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

I personally feel that if it is a true bolt-in 9" rear package for the GTO then anything in the $3,500 range wouldn't be bad depending on what was in the kit. Hopefully this rear swap would allow us to use our factory brakes or the existing rear brake packages on the market now. This would definitely help keep costs down.

A complete Moser 9 inch for an F Body starts at $2,450.00 shipped (epp prices)
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145What does everyone feel is a fair price? If Moser can't make a little money on it (keep in mind that is why they are in business) then they are wasting their time. Thanks. Bob
Old 05-04-2009 | 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

With brakes almost any rear end is going to be a minimum of 3k and most likely more and like said above the 9" is the way to go. The Dana is huge and an 8.8 is just a slightly smaller version of a GM 12 bolt, so the 9" is the best compromise between strength and weight. Last rear end I got from Moser I ended up paying just shy of $400 for shipping, which I'm still steaming over!
Old 05-05-2009 | 02:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kingsize
I personally feel that if it is a true bolt-in 9" rear package for the GTO then anything in the $3,500 range wouldn't be bad depending on what was in the kit. Hopefully this rear swap would allow us to use our factory brakes or the existing rear brake packages on the market now. This would definitely help keep costs down.
1st off epp's is not a 100% bolt in. and my sra uses stock brakes and the machining to make them work is not much cheaper than just getting new ones.
Old 05-05-2009 | 06:00 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TT632
With brakes almost any rear end is going to be a minimum of 3k and most likely more and like said above the 9" is the way to go. The Dana is huge and an 8.8 is just a slightly smaller version of a GM 12 bolt, so the 9" is the best compromise between strength and weight. Last rear end I got from Moser I ended up paying just shy of $400 for shipping, which I'm still steaming over!
You should have bought your rear from me, as I sell Moser rears with free shipping. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...l?category=313 Bob
Old 05-05-2009 | 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think 3200 is fair
Old 05-05-2009 | 10:44 AM
Launching!

I think where people get assume it should be "X" amount of price is because they are building a rear end without axle tube, axles and back bracing, that is a big chunk of price taken out. If it uses a standard front chunk, thats a grand right there. Now that leave about a grand to fabricate a housing and mounts. That would seem easily obtainable since all you really would have to do is take a current 9" cut the axle tubes off and fab up some bearing supports where the halfshafts sit and weld on the bracketry where it hangs. Its not like its a cast housing that hard to adapt too.
Old 05-05-2009 | 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

You should have bought your rear from me, as I sell Moser rears with free shipping. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...l?category=313 Bob
Next one I will!

Quick Reply: Should Moser come out with a rearend for the GTO?