Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Help me decide: GTO or CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was in the market for a $25k performer, it would be that car hands down. Only other offer I could take over that car is maybe a lightly modded C5 Z06.

Dude needs to jump on that deal. You got way more money in that car than 26k for sure.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:29 AM
Staging Lane

Not going to knock the Caddy but it's like comparing Samon to Halibut. Two totally different fish.

As far as having 4 doors. We have a SUV and I think it's easier getting the kids (2 & 4) out of the GTO due to the angle the seats are in relation to the door. Style and class and that gotta have it factor, the Caddy is it. Not too many modded, just like Vette's. Most people buy and drive them for what they are. But GTO's to me has the gotta make it better factor. GM did leave much room for improvement in many areas, which makes me happy. They created a wonderful blank canvas to go in any directiuon you wish. Savng the extra 10 G's can improve the GTO to outperform even the M5. Most will be preference but don't settle just for the 4 door issue. The Caddy will have trunk space galore, that's the only plus I could see to getting it. In my opinion, once you seen one Caddy fixed up, you've seen them all, kinda like the Crystler 300's. The GTO can go in any direction you want and it's got that "sleeper" appeal. Many know what they are capable of stock, but take a Mustang or Civic owner with a turbo and they think they will take you. Boy do they get proven WRONG!

BTW, buying a vehicle, modding it and then being concerned about re-sale is not wise. If you buy both and keep them totally stock, who knows the outcome. I'm sure the origional owner of the stock numbers matching '65 GTO didn't know how much his car would be worth 40 years later. Who know's where the GTO will be in 40 years. But from the looks of the book value, the Caddy will probably hold its value better, due to the lower sales and limited production of the GTO. You really never know. One thing is sure. I'll never re-comp my losses after selling my GTO. I'm already over $10,000 in mods. (Don't tell the wife)

My .02!

Last edited by lynmup; 09-09-2008 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Launching!

having owned both. the GTO is the better toy/ track bitch . the V is the better DD with nuts that can run the numbers at the track. also the V is held back by a heavy clutch and soft cradle bushings

other than OEM parts for the caddy being pricey you have to give it a hard look. but when people like the DA GOAT! are basicly giving away maggie GTO's its hard to pay 25k for a stock caddy
Old 09-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

I was in the same debacle but have now narrowed it to an 05-06 Goat or an 03-04 Terminator? Now I realize this is a generally biased GM forum but why should I go with the Goat over the Termi? :runs:

Goat Pros:
Great Price
Good Aftermarket Support
Affordability
Slightly better MPG
Nicer Interior
Good build quality

Cobra Pros:
Great Price
Faster dollar for dollar
Lighter
Cheaper to mod
Decent build quality,
ect.

Just looking for some of you guys to help out the decision...Pros/Cons of either and perhaps maybe repair cost/maintainence cost of either. What generally is the repair money pit with the Goat? Are they plagued by the same rear end problems as my buddies V?

/threadjack
Old 09-11-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

the goat does not have the same rear end issue the CTS-V does. The main issue with the GTO is suspension related....other than that it is another LS based platform that can run for years without issue, except its the best interior ever put in a GM.

Step inside a used terminator mustang....they're fast.....but they just feel like another mustang....cheap.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

what would it take honestly to keep up with a i/e/pulley/ported blower terminator... from what I understand they make a hair over 500/500...

cost effectively what would it take to get the goat there safely? i/h/e/cam/100shot/ tune?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Termies are not all that they are made out to be. GTOs can run low 12's with bolt ons very easily. Just do some research and choose, but in the end if you put a blower on the GTO you'd have a **** ton more power than a pullied cobra.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Termies are not all that they are made out to be. GTOs can run low 12's with bolt ons very easily. Just do some research and choose, but in the end if you put a blower on the GTO you'd have a **** ton more power than a pullied cobra.
Oh so true.

But many people opt for building motors and then dropping a blower under the hood. It really allows you to flex the extra displacement and superior flow of the LSx setup. A h/c swap with a few better flowing bolt-ons can be done for $5k with the best parts and put out anywhere from 450-475rwhp on the Goats. To me, that's fast enough, and certainly enough to romp on Stangs of the sort.

I'd opt for the Goat. It's more refined, and the platform doesn't hinder anything as far as power goes. Both are IRS setups, so it really doesn't matter bout hookin', neither are the greatest.

Quick Reply: Help me decide: GTO or CTS-V?