Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Help me decide: GTO or CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me decide: GTO or CTS-V?

Sold my LS1 Z28 last year and I'm ready for another car. Narrowed it down to either an LS2 GTO (05/06) or a CTS-V (probably 05). I'll keep my Jeep Grand Cherokee for a daily driver but I want something nice & fun again, but something more civilized & refined than an F-body.

Some things I'm looking at:

Cost - GTO's with 20-30k miles are going for mid to low $20's.
- CTS-V's with same miles are going for high $20's low $30's
- seems like the Caddy will likely hold it's value better though.

Stock performance
- The GTO's came with the LS2 in 05 while the CTS-V had the LS6. For equal money, I'd rather have the LS2 motor.
- The Caddy's came with Brembo brakes, but I've never driven either car so I don't know if that's really much of an option worth having.

Aftermarket Parts
- decent selection of aftermarket grilles, spoilers, exhausts, intakes, etc. I definitely want the ability to customize whichever car I go with but probably wont' go too much farther than an intake, catback, wheels and a grille.

Interior
- both interiors look nice. I think the GTO's look real comfy but the Caddy has the suede inserts on the seats and 4 doors make the rear seat more accessible. The Caddy also has the option of NAV on the 06 model. Not sure about the stereo systems in either car, hopefully some of you can comment.

Suspension
- I know both cars have some problems with wheel hop associated with big hp cars and IRS. Not a big concern since I'll probably never take the car to the track, just want a quick car for cruising when I'm in the mood. Seems like there are some great packages available for the GTO from Pedders to really dial in the stance & handling to an optimum level. Not sure what's available for the Caddy but also not sure what's necessary other than a little stiffer swaybars.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Teching In

i've got an '04 gto, and i've been in a few 05/06 gto's.. they're great cars as far as straight line, but they suck in the corners. stock, the gto suspensions are about worthless. i was in a friends 05 cts-v last weekened, and it's a completely different story. you can get a nav system, great interior, strong engine, and a car that corners/stops a LOT better than any stock gto.. i hate to say it, but i'd go with the caddy. the caddy suspension is a lot stronger than the gto's, and the brakes are a world apart.. and they have all the basic boltons that you'd want... headers, catback, cai, etc.. and if you wanted to break open the engine, it's an ls6, so pick your favorite performance supplier.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive read about Vs breaking rears ar i hard clutch dump but besides that theyre great cars imo. werent they upgraded by GM anyway?

GTOs are also great cars. theyre not perfect but as you said resale isnt great.

if i was going strictly for race id get a GTO but since youre not go with a caddy i recommend.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Teching In

CTS-V is definitely nicer, but I'm not sure it's worth the price difference. With the money you save, you can do a complete Pedders package, plus exhaust, appearance upgrades, ect, and have a pretty bad *** street ride. I also really like how rare GTOs are, making its looks stand out more than people give it credit for.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Excellent point!

Originally Posted by Fuster Cluck
CTS-V is definitely nicer, but I'm not sure it's worth the price difference. With the money you save, you can do a complete Pedders package, plus exhaust, appearance upgrades, ect, and have a pretty bad *** street ride. I also really like how rare GTOs are, making its looks stand out more than people give it credit for.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Im a little biased but id say go with the goat, save some money and do some mods and youd have the perfect street car thats comfortable to ride in.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:48 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The LS2 GTO's can be had for high teens - very low 20's. I'd sell mine for $21K (just what I need to get out of it).

That said, the GTO is definitely the performance bargain if you want to modify it. The CTS received the upgraded rear in '06 along with the LS2, but as you've seen, they are quite a bit more expensive.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Teching In

If you have the money to spend on the Caddy I would personally get the GTO and with the money you saved mod out the goat. With 10k worth of mods the goat would outperform the Caddy in every category. But then again that only personal preference. To each his own.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

cts-v all around better car by far. gto is a endless money pit of repairs.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

caddy may cost more to insure. GTO's are a little easier to work on. I've driven and worked on both, Caddy is definately more refined and luxurious. The Caddy IMO is a car that you by if you dont wanna do anything more then a catback, tune and intake. The caddy reputation and heritage to me is luxury and classiness, not muscle and tire shredding power like the GTO's reputation. if you want to get to get into modding beyond catbacks, tuning and intakes, go with the GTO, if not Go with the Caddy and keep it close to stock, the caddy will be more valuable then the GTO in the long run if it is kept stock, unfortunatle for the GTO it wont be worth much whether its stock or modded. But check on how much each car will cost you first though, thats the main thing, the Caddy maybe cost more to drive every month then the GTO.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Launching!

thee goat mos def...
Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

You want 2 doors or 4? Build quality is actually very similar. The GTO is more customizable with a bigger aftermarket (try looking for things like wheels on a CTS-V, major PITA and no real affordable options). I put $1500 into my stereo and I've got navigation, bluetooth, great sound just as good as the best of factory stereos, plus DVD and video capability. You can spend more of less but with the double DIN opening it's easy to add navigation and other creature comfort features to the GTO (like HIDs). You could also save money and do Pedders and go-faster stuff with the money saved.

I'd get the CTS-V if you need the extra two doors, a little more room, like the styling more, won't be racing it much or modding it much, and have the extra money.

Otherwise I think the GTO is the better choice.

And I'm not biased. I actually wish I had a CTS-V instead of my GTO (because I don't race and wish I wouldn't have modded my GTO as much as I have so I'd rather have the extra 2 doors and room of the CTS-V).
Old 08-13-2008, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

The CTS-V's come with a 10 bolt, fack that.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get more chicks in the V

and the

11,069 goats made in 2005 (ls2)
13,948 goats made in 2006 (ls2)

2,461 V's made in 2004 (ls6)
3,508 made in 2005 (ls6)

so in comparison 25,017 goats in 2 years or 5,969 v's made

But if you want a 1/4 mile car buy the goat

if you want a track car maggie the V and there is no goat that will ever catch it on a road course. (unless its heavily modded)

BTW have you ever thought of buying a terminator or a c5?? Those are all my favorites and in this price range and what i was looking at when i got my v

Btw if you want to be part of a community it is hard to find other v's in the area so meets without driving tons of miles are non -existent

Last edited by Brentman2007; 08-13-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the big choice is you want a 2dr or 4dr ?

if that doesnt matter , the LS6 V is pretty comparable to the LS2 gto , the caddies got 3.73's vs the gto's 3.46

then the V has BIG *** brembo's , and better suspension , but bad for wheel hop

i think the LS6 is better for playing around than the LS2

i love my LS1 and LS2 goats and wouldnt trade them for anything , but i think the V is a better performer with the LS6
Old 08-17-2008, 09:36 AM
9 Second Club

I own both the CTSV and a GTO. I would honestly take my GTO back when it was my DD over my CTSV any day. The GTO actually rode better and was a bit more comfortable to me. The GTO always felt faster than my Caddy. And I really like coupes...
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Teching In

G T O
Old 09-01-2008, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6whore89
Im a little biased but id say go with the goat, save some money and do some mods and youd have the perfect street car thats comfortable to ride in.
what he said...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Either way will drain your wallet nicely.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

I'll sell you this one.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-sale-lsx-powered-only/979653-2004-magnacharged-402-ci-gto-pbm-m6-sale.html

Quick Reply: Help me decide: GTO or CTS-V?